SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
111,000 trouble free miles.
At 100,000 miles did complete flush and filter change with Redline D4 ATF.
Seems all you here about T6's are transmission failures. Post your T6 original transmission miles;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2004 here also;)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
C'mon, I now there are some T6 owners with high mileages (and still on the original transmission) who aren't posting. Let's hear about 'em.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
70K with no transmission issues (knock on wood!). Very little maintenance required, but never skipped a single oil change (always Mobil 1).

Lots of long, very enjoyable trips, some of them with 6 or 7 passengers, and it was always enjoyable for all.
My wife likes to take pictures of our sleeping passengers - we got a ton! The list includes my parents, some of my friends, brothers, nephews, nieces... :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
C'mon, I now there are some T6 owners with high mileages (and still on the original transmission) who aren't posting. Let's hear about 'em.
We got ~140k (more like 138,XXX, IIRC). It's now sitting at the dealership awaiting a tranny replacement.

The dealer wants €4,000 for a new tranny, and €800 to install it. I am holding out to find a reman (which are damned hard to get in Germany, since Volvo sold so damned few T6s over here).

Caveat: This car only spent 2.5 years in the U.S. and the rest of the time has been on European roads (2004-2006 and 2009-Present) from Montenegro to France and Sweden to Italy, to include crossing mountain ranges in Bosnia, running at max speed for hours at a time on the German Autobahn, and climbing untold passes in the Alps (many in the snow). It has crossed the Atlantic twice.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The original tranny lasted 160,000 miles. According to the dealer, the seal on the radiator leaked coolant into the transmission, so both had to be replaced. Over $6,000 in repair costs, all out of our own pocket. There is a proposal for a class action lawsuit regarding these transmissions, so maybe one day we will get our money back...

·
Registered
226 Posts
#1 went about 45,000 miles.

#2 failed after 1500 miles.

#3 failed after about another 45,000 miles.

#3 is still in the car; I can drive it around some if I'm very careful.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
#1 went at 67k with second owner three days after taking delivery of vehicle from volvo dealer
#2 went at 137k replaced with updated reman from a indy shop $5000
#3 still in the vehicle with 169,754 today and drives like a dream....its for sale too, got a 05 VR

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
While not a xc90, my 2002.5 S80 T6's transmission crapped out at 89k miles in 2006.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just purchased my '04 T6 a few weeks ago with 115k miles on the clock. I received paperwork stating the transmission had been replaced at 101k miles with a remanufactured unit that carries a 36month/100k mile warranty. They also replaced the tranny cooler and all cooler lines. I drive a lot of vehicles in my line of work, and im impressed with the feel of the transmission that is currently in the vehicle. I checked the fluid before purchase, and it appeared and smelt perfectly healthy for 15k miles of current use. The whole vehicle in general, I'm very impressed with. Everything is tight and responsive as compared to a vehicle with half of the mileage in my opinion.

On another note, are the tranny's, transfer case's or differential's and issue on these vehicles at higher mileage and perhaps a 20-30% increase over stock hp?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
While not a xc90, my 2002.5 S80 T6's transmission crapped out at 89k miles in 2006.
Not that uncommon with the S80 either. Not as bad as the T6 XC90, but still disappointing.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Coincidentally, the '02 S80 T6 I still drive just turned 89k miles and still runs its factory original 4T65-E after all these years.

All I've have to do over the years in terms of DIY transaxle maintenance is change the ATF and filter twice using Dexron VI both times. The first time was when I installed an extra ATF cooler about four years ago and the second time was this past weekend as I needed to drop the pan to ease access to the driver side lower control arm bolts as the lower control arm bushings were quite worn out. The old ATF still looked clean.
Seen a few threads (and user reviews) about T6 S80 transmissions going out between 120,000 and 150,000 miles. But it's probably not a majority of S80 owners who have mileages (and higher) in this range--but common enough to warrant some concern. A Buick owner posted on one of the threads saying he had the same transmission, and it went out at about 150,000 miles, if remember correctly. There are probably quite a few S80 owners who have several hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles on their transmissions too.

I know someone with a 1999 T6 S80 with high miles (I forget how much), and he loves it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My first number was 86k.

The second went around 98k but due to a bad part in the rebuild (they saw several come back with the same shot bearing at the same time)

So far, 98k to 127k and we are still shifting fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 2004 brand new. First tranny went at 56K. The second went at 112k. I flushed them at 30k intervals. 1year after 3rd tranny installed coolant leak turned out to be a cracked block. Worst Volvo I ever owned. I wish I kept my 850 or my 240

·
Registered
100 Posts
2003 T6 AWD replaced at 36,000 Miles, by dealer, as I was on extended warranty. Just got a 'check transmission' message, took it in and they replaced it. Don't drive as much as we would like but no other problems with this 9 1/2 year old car!

Tech indicated the T6 has too much power/torque for the 4 speed GM transmission, so expect problems after another 40K, with our mostly city driving! Plan to keep ext warranty for as long as possible!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
2003 T6 AWD replaced at 36,000 Miles, by dealer, as I was on extended warranty. Just got a 'check transmission' message, took it in and they replaced it. Don't drive as much as we would like but no other problems with this 9 1/2 year old car!

Tech indicated the T6 has too much power/torque for the 4 speed GM transmission, so expect problems after another 40K, with our mostly city driving! Plan to keep ext warranty for as long as possible!
How many miles on your XC90 now?

·
Registered
2 Posts
05 with 90k and feel like I am livin' on borrowed time....... Question is, do I get ready for a transmission replacement or trade car for something else. Actually my daughter's car and I don't want her out on the road with a dead tranny. Since that seems to be inevitable.......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts