SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Volvo brand and I'm sure that you are way more knowledgeable about the models than me. Anyone find the T6 Inscription more or less appealing than the T8 Inscription Expression? Seems like, with some negotiation, you can get them for about the same price but the T8 IE gives you the $5400 tax credit.

If you were looking at both, which one did you choose and what helped push you to that decision? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
T8 by far: most efficient yet also most powerful + most silent. Couple the silence with a Bowers & Wilkens sound system and enjoy the soundgarden.

Some say there's a risk with the additional hybrid system - which is true - but buying an extended warranty still makes the T8 cheaper! There's a whole recent thread about T8 reliability, just search for it.

BTW, I'm comparing engine choice only as I have no idea about the Expression trim or accessories.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Few months ago I was also choosing between B6 (new T6 mild hybrid) and T8. Also tried B5 diesel, but it wasn't really a choice.

Went with T8 and happy I did so. Mine has laminated glass and it's so quiet inside driving in hybrid or pure mode. Also the acceleration is much smoother and for such a heavy car it's quite good.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you're concerned about the long-term reliability of the T8, just get the 10yr/100K mile warranty for an extra $3K.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I am surprised that you can get both cars for about the same price? That does not make sense as the T8 is their flagship car. Perhaps the T6 has a lot of options that the T8 does not? There are additional credits depending on what State you live in. I think Something is not right.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
T8 Inscription Expression is not same equipped as T6 Inscription. It is close to T8 Momentum in interior but the ride is more luxury than T6 Momentum due to quiet hybrid or pure mode.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am surprised that you can get both cars for about the same price? That does not make sense as the T8 is their flagship car. Perhaps the T6 has a lot of options that the T8 does not? There are additional credits depending on what State you live in. I think Something is not right.
If you do an apples to apples comparison, after credits/rebates they're about the same price, and in some cases the T8 ends up being cheaper. For instance, a T6 RD is $63.3K, and a T8 RD is $69.8K. Once you factor in the $5419 federal credit, you're only looking at about an $1100 difference, and that can easily be made up if you have state or local utility rebates too. Even with the $1100 difference, I think most people would consider the T8 to be worth the extra grand. For this reason, in my area I see more T8 XC90s than T6s.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! What 'must-have' options on a T8 Inscription Expression do you have (or wish you had)?
I agree that air suspension and B&W are a must. I'd add 360 camera. It really helps.

If you drive in colder climates a parking climate and heated back seats would be a must also. For EU cars parking climates works even when not plugged in as the additional heater uses petrol.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Bowers & Wilkens sound, air suspension, heated steering wheel and all heated seats (which are more efficient vs heated air hybrid battery wise), middle 2nd row booster seat (for the kids), 360 camera, rear backup / cross traffic alerts, 22" rims + tire protection plan from Steingold Volvo (they've paid themselves off here in the Pothole Heaven of New England!), tire mud flaps, wheel lug locks, HUD (almost forgot!), underbody metal plate (if you plan on doing a lot of "off-road" driving), extended warranty from Steingold Volvo (or Geico).

Separate from Volvo, I would put PPF (paint protection film) on your vehicle on high wear surfaces if not the entire car; if you tow or bike, Stealth Hitch (or Volvo's newest retractable hitch) is recommended; and dashcams for the front and rear (and sides too if you can) - they pay themselves off usually in one or two incidents.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
i was just looking at the options in the US for the XC90 T8 Inscription Expression and I don't see either the air suspension or B&W sound system listed. Might be in other markets, though.
The B&W is only available on the Inscription - not the "scaled down" Inscription Expression (MY21) from my use of the online builder.

Was the Momentum Plus rebranded as an Inscription Expression? I do not know the answer but it makes me curious what the product management rationale was for not offering B&W as an "option" on an Inscription Expression. Just seems like a forced upgrade to a premium trim. IDK.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
i was just looking at the options in the US for the XC90 T8 Inscription Expression and I don't see either the air suspension or B&W sound system listed. Might be in other markets, though.
They probably limit B&W to Inscription or R-Design. Anyhow, the HK one is pretty good too.
HUD is another thing I like. 360 degree cam is useful to check curbside when I have to do parallel parking. The car body is kind of bulky on side and I can't see the wheel in rear mirror.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Volvo is really aggressively pushing the T8s now, and it looks like, in the future. I broker volvos for a large dealer in NJ, and a lot more people have been grabbing T8s than T6 inscriptions. The extra money in the T8s, coupled with low T6 inventory, makes them very attractive leases.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My wife and I just bought her CPO 2018 XC90 T8 Inscription. The biggest thing to look at is suspension and how it plays with the wheel and tire package on the car. We drove a steel-sprung T6 with 19"s and an air-sprung T8 with 21"s and the air suspension was in our opinion a far better ride. Well controlled with lots of travel to absorb larger impacts even though there's far less rubber to absorb the smaller imperfections. Wouldn't have bought it if the air suspension want an option.

Inscription Expression really is a confusing bit of marketing. I'm fairly certain it's a Momentum Plus and has no business being called by even a similar name to the highest luxury trim. An R-design is better equipped and actually had the availability to option up things that others have mentioned such as B&W sound and 4C air suspension.

All that said, I've driven luxury cars for basically the last 10 years and my wife's car (replacing a 2016 Accord Sport) is the nicest most well thought out vehicle I've ever driven. Not to mention the biggest upgrade for her!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
T8 deserves the Inscription name. A lower priced Inscription Expression T8 is quite suitable for the luxury riding and much more affordable than Inscription. I won't want a T6 Inscription Expression.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I forgot to mention a big plus for the T8: pre-conditioning! As long as it's plugged in, one can use the phone to remotely heat or (air) cool the cabin. Very convenient!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts