SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Oh that's interesting I hope they do it. Why not even do a comfort-normal-dynamic range instead of just comfort/dynamic.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an inscription with 21" 8-spoke wheels and standard suspension and the car rides excellent! Others have posted and articles have been written about the harsh ride and noisy suspension but we haven't experienced anything of the sort. Can't believe the ones with the air even need an upgrade for ride comfort.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I very much like the ride, I just think that one of the cool things about air suspension is how much adjustability is built in so why not utilize it? There's not really any debating that the ride is on the firm side even in comfort mode.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an inscription with 21" 8-spoke wheels and standard suspension and the car rides excellent! Others have posted and articles have been written about the harsh ride and noisy suspension but we haven't experienced anything of the sort. Can't believe the ones with the air even need an upgrade for ride comfort.
When I test drove it, I noticed that on smooth roads the suspension is great. When driving on bumpy roads (like NYC) it can be jarring.

Are they going to upgrade current owners?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
When I test drove it, I noticed that on smooth roads the suspension is great. When driving on bumpy roads (like NYC) it can be jarring.

Are they going to upgrade current owners?
I agree, the ride is very nice but can be jarring on bumpier roads, so I'd welcome a bit of softening when set to comfort mode if it would be accomplished through a software update on my First Edition.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, I agree. It would be nice if a software update could soften the ride more on bumpy roads.

·
Registered
159 Posts
We should differentiate between ride quality (ie small imperfections in road surface) and overall suspension stiffness (ie dealing with weight transfer - roll in the corners or during breaking). There is some overlap but generally they are different things. The car could do with better ride quality on poor surfaces, but even the stiffest suspension setting is too soft as far as body roll goes. The car needs to be stiffer in sports mode if anything. I can't see how they can improve poor surface ride without hardware change. You can try the extreme setting in off-road mode but I doubt that will feel more comfortable over small bumps.
A lot of people like the feedback from the road surface as it gives a sensation of more steering feedback which is quite difficult to achieve with electric steering. In q7 shootouts xc90 beets it on steering feedback exactly because of less ironed out ride.
Imop it's okay, but I would like to see less roll in sports mode

·
Registered
153 Posts
I’m resurrecting an old thread here but increasingly I’m finding my 2016 XC90 T8 air suspension rolls too much in corners even in the Power mode.

Can Volvo or Volvo dealers tune the suspension to reduce roll or make it a bit more focused in corners? Are there any after-market tunes available?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'd also want a softer ride in comfort/ Hybrid mode as it's too jumpy over humps and uneven road surfaces. I don't mind it staying the same (AS IS) for all other drive modes.

I've seen how other SUVs glide over minor humps and road imperfections yet mine is too shaky, raising concerns about rattles in future should I choose to keep it much longer as I usually do with all my other vehicles.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is adding the Polestar making the air suspension softer?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I thought there was no difference between comfort and dynamic and had the dealer check it this past week. Everything checked out as normal. I guess I am not very sensitive to suspension characteristics. I do like the ride on my XC90 such as it is and perhaps some day drive a non- air suspension XC90 to see if I can tell the difference. But the ride height feature is important to me if I need better clearance in heavy snow conditions. Anyway I will keep in mind that there might be a software change that would result in a softer ride in comfort mode. Also looking forward to the availability of polestar, which seems will take place in October. I will be back at the dealer sometime in November for my 5K curtesy check and by then hopefully Polestar will be available.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I thought there was no difference between comfort and dynamic and had the dealer check it this past week. Everything checked out as normal. I guess I am not very sensitive to suspension characteristics. I do like the ride on my XC90 such as it is and perhaps some day drive a non- air suspension XC90 to see if I can tell the difference. But the ride height feature is important to me if I need better clearance in heavy snow conditions. Anyway I will keep in mind that there might be a software change that would result in a softer ride in comfort mode. Also looking forward to the availability of polestar, which seems will take place in October. I will be back at the dealer sometime in November for my 5K curtesy check and by then hopefully Polestar will be available.
There is a significant difference between the handling characteristics of the comfort mode and dynamic mode of the air suspension.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Your sig says you have a T6--if so, then the Polestar is available (and has been).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not for the 2018 model year according to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts