SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about every XC90 thread from the past 3 years that reference nivomats and haven't found the answer to this question yet...

My nivomats are bad and I need to replace, I don't mind switching to standard, but having to replace the springs as well is just as much (or more) since I don't want to lower the car and all of the kits seem to be lowering 1.5-2 inches. It looks like HR makes an "OEM Sport" kit that only lowers .25 - .5 but I can't find it for sale, only descriptions of it online.

My question is generally should I need to replace the springs when I do the new shocks/struts? Specifically asking related to the nivomats, because they are a softer spring which makes me think they would sag easier over time, but I will be replacing the front as well and wondered about those too.

XC90 is an 05 (10/04 manufac. date) with about 103K on it, but I tested the shocks by loading the back up with dirt bags at home depot the other day (actual bags of dirt, not just jerks from the store), the rear did not raise back up by the time I got home. And yesterday I hit a bump and the rear hopped what felt like a foot to one side...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear Suspension - Nivomats - Hell No - 200K

Profile - 2003 XC90 - T6 - (%$^#@* never buy a car the 1st year it's out) - 3rd Cluster - Guessing mid 200K range
Love the Car - Hate the Car - Just finished the front suspension, getting ready to attack the rear suspension - just out of naivety, plan on replacing all the bushings, tie rods (they are very sloppy), and the shocks - I do not want to replace with $500 Nivomats - please tell me that I can just put standard shocks on the car - I don't care whether its 2" higher or 2 inches lower - but do I need to replace the springs as well? Lets just say I am cheap - Can I just put regular shocks on the car? Common xc90 brainicks, please tell me I just need to do the shocks. Moma needs a new dress and doesn't care about my Volvo problems. Thanks, jkolorado

I've read about every XC90 thread from the past 3 years that reference nivomats and haven't found the answer to this question yet...

My nivomats are bad and I need to replace, I don't mind switching to standard, but having to replace the springs as well is just as much (or more) since I don't want to lower the car and all of the kits seem to be lowering 1.5-2 inches. It looks like HR makes an "OEM Sport" kit that only lowers .25 - .5 but I can't find it for sale, only descriptions of it online.

My question is generally should I need to replace the springs when I do the new shocks/struts? Specifically asking related to the nivomats, because they are a softer spring which makes me think they would sag easier over time, but I will be replacing the front as well and wondered about those too.

XC90 is an 05 (10/04 manufac. date) with about 103K on it, but I tested the shocks by loading the back up with dirt bags at home depot the other day (actual bags of dirt, not just jerks from the store), the rear did not raise back up by the time I got home. And yesterday I hit a bump and the rear hopped what felt like a foot to one side...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
please tell me that I can just put standard shocks on the car?
Yes you can

do I need to replace the springs as well?
Yes you do

I don't care whether its 2" higher or 2 inches lower -
It will in the back if don't replace the springs as well with non-nivomat springs...

The handling will be bad and it will look terrible. Just go to a junk yard and get used non nivo's for the time being and throw in new shocks. Rear is a 1 hour job start to finish, if it was front end I'd say do it right the first time, but you can use "bad" non-nivo springs in the back for now, but if you use your old nivomat springs with new standard shocks, you'll be replacing the shocks again very soon which will be more than buying new springs would be. Not to mention your tires wearing out way too fast.

I just posted a link on another thread to $700 rear nivo set with springs, that's total price for both sides...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts