SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings folks.
I'm longing for a flip up steel barrier for my 2013 XC90.
I know this doesnt exist in nature but perhaps someone has done a mod to a V70 version or has other ideas. Anyone a fan of the mesh barrier? Is it strong?
I have an infant in a rear facing car seat and we do a lot of traveling. So lots of gear in the back.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Check out accessories.volvocars.com

They have two models of steel barriers for sale. I have the net barrier I use that keeps my dog behind the second row seats and it can also be attached behind the drivers and passenger seat.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
We've got the mesh divider for use behind the second row and the steel barrier for the 3rd row (steel is the only option for 3rd row) and we have been happy with them. We opted for the mesh over the steel barrier for 2nd row use for convenience since if we need to pull it out while on the go it folds up compactly. Note that either the steel or mesh barriers for 2nd row can be used behind the driver and front passenger. We had originally ordered the steel 2nd row barrier thinking like you that it would fold out of the way like in an XC70. When we learned it wouldn't fold up to the ceiling we asked to switch to the fabric version.

When we've gone on vacation and we expect to use the third row (visiting parents/grandparents - we have two little ones in car seats) we carry the 3rd row steel barrier to put up. It lays flat in back or in our Weekender roof box for travel when we're in 2 row setup. Once we arrive at our destination we unpack our gear, fold up the mesh, switch to 3rd row mode, and put up the 3rd row barrier. From what I've seen, the 1/2 row barrier is much bigger/bulky and the grid pattern is quite big which can allow small items to pass through between the bars. The upside on the steel barrier is that Volvo has crash tested it and it's rated to hold back a couple tons of force. I don't recall the exact specs.

In our V40 we had have the mesh divider and have loved it. Was great for keeping our dog back and making sure cargo stayed on the back. Thankfully we've never "tested" the mesh dividers in either car.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My mesh divider will fit either behind the first or 2nd row seats. I have used it both ways, but normally behind the second row to keep the dog back there. I can fold mine and then roll it up for storage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts