SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 XC90 T6 Momentum with Stock Pirelli tires on the 20in Satin Wheel option. I find that there is quite a bit of road/tire noise at highway speeds, some road surfaces being much noisier than others. I have seen other threads where replacing the tires helped in some cases. My question is, has anyone tried to apply additional soundproofing in the car or even the wheel liners to reduce the amount of noise?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a 2017 XC90 T6 Momentum with Stock Pirelli tires on the 20in Satin Wheel option. I find that there is quite a bit of road/tire noise at highway speeds, some road surfaces being much noisier than others. I have seen other threads where replacing the tires helped in some cases. My question is, has anyone tried to apply additional soundproofing in the car or even the wheel liners to reduce the amount of noise?
I found the stock Pirelli's ran very quiet until they were worn about 3/4, then they got noisy.

The T8 has tons of extra sound proofing, maybe you could install some of it using the Volvo parts catalog as a guide.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the stock Pirelli's ran very quiet until they were worn about 3/4, then they got noisy.

The T8 has tons of extra sound proofing, maybe you could install some of it using the Volvo parts catalog as a guide.
Thats a good thought, something I haven't thought of. I was hoping someone had done this to share their experience as to what was effective and what wasnt.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thats a good thought, something I haven't thought of. I was hoping someone had done this to share their experience as to what was effective and what wasnt.
Somebody said that putting a segment of asphalt rubber on the inside of the plastic wheel arch gave the biggest nose damping. This myself I’m investigating.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same problem, it is a common topic regarding the Pirelli tires, once they wear, they get LOUD!

I replaced them with Continental tires, forget the model. They were about $100 cheaper per tire, and perform as well from my experience. Road noise gone, its like a totally different SUV. The noise from the Pirelli's was so loud I thought I had a drive train problem.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Chassis, floor, doors and wheel arches are very poorly insulated in XC90. Especially in higher speeds on highways, the road noise is quite high, regardless the tires brand. When now I changed 19''winter tires for 20''summer tires (Michelin), the road noise became even more audible. While engine insulation became a way better from MY2018, floor etc. is still not in pair with cars in a similar class. Today I left my car for a complete professional sound insulation using the very best materials - floor, wheel arches, doors. So let us see if it brings any improvements ... Shall be ready on Wednesday, I will share the results :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chassis, floor, doors and wheel arches are very poorly insulated in XC90. Especially in higher speeds on highways, the road noise is quite high, regardless the tires brand. When now I changed 19''winter tires for 20''summer tires (Michelin), the road noise became even more audible. While engine insulation became a way better from MY2018, floor etc. is still not in pair with cars in a similar class. Today I left my car for a complete professional sound insulation using the very best materials - floor, wheel arches, doors. So let us see if it brings any improvements ... Shall be ready on Wednesday, I will share the results :)
Please do!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts