SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide whether to stick with Volvo or not for a 7 seater.

As I've posted separately, we have a First Edition that Volvo has agreed to repurchase in full due to multiple issues and nearly 60 days cumulative out of service. (Received car in June 2015 and it was virtually unusable from mid-September to mid-December.) One of those issues was a serious water leak from the sunroof, which took about 6 weeks to repair. My dealer and my VCNA contact have essentially discouraged me from getting another XC90 due to their belief that it would have a high probability of leaking as well. I know, many find that baffling, but given the experiences of others on this board, I'm worried that it might be a real risk and sure as heck do not want to go through this experience again. (Current car appears to be fixed, for now.)

Our other options with conveniently located dealerships are Audia and Mazda, both of which are currently redesigning their 7 seaters, so none to be had currently. Argh.

I'm totally perplexed that they are willing to just give us our money back and see us walk away to another brand. We love our S60 and planned to stick with Volvo for the long run. I have no idea how to read this situation and would be curious for any interpretations.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide whether to stick with Volvo or not for a 7 seater.

As I've posted separately, we have a First Edition that Volvo has agreed to repurchase in full due to multiple issues and nearly 60 days cumulative out of service. (Received car in June 2015 and it was virtually unusable from mid-September to mid-December.) One of those issues was a serious water leak from the sunroof, which took about 6 weeks to repair. My dealer and my VCNA contact have essentially discouraged me from getting another XC90 due to their belief that it would have a high probability of leaking as well. I know, many find that baffling, but given the experiences of others on this board, I'm worried that it might be a real risk and sure as heck do not want to go through this experience again. (Current car appears to be fixed, for now.)

Our other options with conveniently located dealerships are Audia and Mazda, both of which are currently redesigning their 7 seaters, so none to be had currently. Argh.

I'm totally perplexed that they are willing to just give us our money back and see us walk away to another brand. We love our S60 and planned to stick with Volvo for the long run. I have no idea how to read this situation and would be curious for any interpretations.
What? They're not recommending a new one? The VCNA? That is pretty damning. Holy cow. I'm in the same boat...they bought mine back recently and I have to decide if I want a new one built, wait for 2017 or go elsewhere....tuff decision because the car as designed is beautiful but there seems to be too many reliability issues this early on in the Model year. Curious what others will think of your situation....

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Maybe try model year 2017 XC90? If they still can't get the sunroof right in 2017 model you have much better reason to switch to other brands.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is still no sales info on the new 2016 Mazda CX9 yet, so Audi Q7 is your only other good choice besides maybe Lexus. Or maybe a Honda Pilot?

·
Registered
26 Posts
it's the perfect time to try out the Q7

·
Banned
763 Posts

As I said in your original thread, I'd go with the Honda Odyssey. Top of the line safety, great mpg for its size, and, being a minivan, far more storage and functionality (hello dual sliding doors!) than any mid-sized SUV, luxury or not.

·
Registered
419 Posts

If I were Volvo I certainly would want you and your story to go away, as quickly as possible. You are a liability to them, which gives you an advantage.

The future water leak warning does not ring true somehow. There is no way to predict the performance of a new XC90 based on what happened to your old XC 90.

My issue with Volvo is that the SUV is great but it could be much better, particularly better software. I do not regret buying the FE I have.

Personally, I would want to see how much more I could get from them, such as a full term warranty and repair package before I made my decision. Perhaps I would look around for another dealer. Maybe I would ask for next year's model.

Once you have all you can get, you are at the starting line. What happened with the Lemon is history and it's just a personal choice which if any SUV you get.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'd try another Volvo dealership. As rare a problem as it seems to be, I can't imagine having it happen again to the same person. I am happy to hear that you received a satisfactory resolution and you aren't too frustrated with your experience to give Volvo another shot. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
162 Posts
OP. did I read you correctly? VCNA has no confidence that a brand new XC90 would not also leak? Does that worry any other owner besides me?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My dealer and my VCNA contact have essentially discouraged me from getting another XC90 due to their belief that it would have a high probability of leaking as well. (snip) I'm totally perplexed that they are willing to just give us our money back and see us walk away to another brand.
I read that about six times ...

I went back and re-read your other postings / threads, too. I feel for you ... not just one problem but a number of them ... and you've got a lot of time, effort and emotion tied up in this. I guess that's why they have lemon laws ... and its good to hear that Volvo has agreed to come up with a buy back scenario.

If the issues that happened to you happened to me - I'd surely work with the dealer to get them corrected. If I had major issues and the car was out of service I'd be looking to replace it, for at least two reasons: I need a safe and reliable vehicle - and I consider my car much like an investment ... if it is faulty or broken the investment value significantly decreases. If Volvo were to offer to buy back my XC90 - I'd replace it with another XC90. There's tens of thousands of this vehicle on the road and while we are hearing reports of some common issues - if it were super wide spread there's be some major impact and repercussions. And my years of dealing with Volvo has been nothing but positive experiences, both at the local dealer level as well as with Volvo directly (including three OSD orders).

What really bothers me though is what I quoted above. If I were Volvo I wouldn't want to hear that a dealer's opinion was another new XC90 off the line would have a high probability of leaking as well. What basis do they have to formulate such a public opinion? Internal Volvo documents? Similar repair efforts on just about every other XC90 they've sold? If someone in my local dealership stated that I'd ask them to substantiate it; I'd want to make sure it was either proof positive - or maybe just an unsubstantiated opinion (the later I'd take with a grain of salt).

The note about a VCNA contact saying the same thing ... leaves me speechless. I guess same thoughts about the dealer's comments come to mind ...

I don't think any of us can really have a good feeling for what you've experienced with your dealer and Volvo contact - and I think that would play greatly into what decision I would probably make. Its easy for me to say I'd just buy another one ... but if those interactions over the last few months left me with a sour taste - I may consider something else (e.g., non-Volvo). If you do decide to replace the XC90 with another one ... you could always ask for extended warranty, full safe and secure (or whatever they call it today) - and justify that request with your lack of confidence in the replacement being totally trouble free.

Good luck with whatever you do - and thanks for sharing your experiences with us here.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
My dealer and my VCNA contact have essentially discouraged me from getting another XC90 due to their belief that it would have a high probability of leaking as well.
I am sorry but I truly find this hard to believe...What area/market of the U.S. do you reside? (feel free to PM me if you think it's more appropriate).

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
OP. did I read you correctly? VCNA has no confidence that a brand new XC90 would not also leak? Does that worry any other owner besides me?
I think you need to take that with a huge grain of salt...

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
If a VCNA employee said so it does sound very weird. Why this person still want to work for VCNA?
I hate to say this, but maybe they want him to just "go away" for some reason...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'd try another Volvo dealership. As rare a problem as it seems to be, I can't imagine having it happen again to the same person. I am happy to hear that you received a satisfactory resolution and you aren't too frustrated with your experience to give Volvo another shot. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Based on everything I've been reading, the water intrusion issue is not rare. To the contrary, it is very possible that every 2016 XC90 currently on the road will experience water intrusion if subjected to certain conditions, i.e. parked on a 10+ degree incline (front or rear) and doused with rain or other water source. If you doubt this to be true, give it a try with your XC90 and keep your fingers crossed...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If you have the flexibility wait for MY 2017. It's not *that* far off, and the factory will do some kind of reset.

I expect to see the new Q7 at the DC auto show in a few weeks. Will it be like the new commercial where they obscure most of the car with fog? Classic.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.