SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, according to Alex from The Truth About Cars, the 2016 XC90 now has Red rear turn signals for the US models. For a company that had an original emphasis on safety, that's a shame. The previous generation S80 used to have amber turn signals that shone through a red/pink plastic. Seems like they decided not to use that method this time.

Looks like Volvo may be following suit with the rest of the European marques.

www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/05/2016-volvo-xc90-first-drive-video/

Thoughts? Has anyone seen this in the wild either on a demo unit or following one on the

·
Registered
232 Posts
They are amber when illuminated:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I am hoping, but according to the above post and video, Alex states otherwise based on his reviewer test drive of the U.S. spec model. I would love it if this was not the case!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
They are red.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for clarifying. Any reason why VCNA decided to go with red here in the US?

Seems strange for a company so very focused on safety to let this go.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. Any reason why VCNA decided to go with red here in the US?

Seems strange for a company so very focused on safety to let this go.
No idea but I do not believe the car is less safe because the rear turning signal color has changed from amber to red.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I agree, not a big deal to have red turning signals. I actually don't like my orange ones on our X5 :D

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't believe Volvo voluntarily switched to red turn signals in the USA. In their home market of Sweden, they are using amber turn signals...

·
Banned
763 Posts
Yup, amber is better since it's unambiguous. I remember being disappointed when I figured out that neither our Sienna nor Odyssey had them. Even though rear-end collisions are the least likely to be fatal (vs side and front impacts), it's still significant.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I don't believe Volvo voluntarily switched to red turn signals in the USA. In their home market of Sweden, they are using amber turn signals...
It is a cost savings. There is no other reason to do it. They sell a lot more cars in the US than Sweden.

·
Banned
763 Posts
I'm sure they would simply because they're not required to by law. The article noted that the US is unlike Europe where manufacturers are actually required to do this since it's a known safety benefit. It's kind of like how manufacturers have DRL systems by default in Canada since it's the law there (for the same safety reasons), but do so willy nilly here since it's not mandated.

·
Registered
344 Posts
With the turn signals do we still retain the Mustang-esque consecutive/direction signaling? I remember seeing the off-road demo of the xc90 signal illuminate in that pattern

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
It is a cost savings. There is no other reason to do it. They sell a lot more cars in the US than Sweden.
Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to standardize this globally?

I too don't understand this slight "dumbing down" for NA market...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to standardize this globally?

I too don't understand this slight "dumbing down" for NA market...
I agree with this. Not sure why the change for this new model, when it was ok for the last generation and other models from Volvo. Being that Volvo is known to be the "safe" car manufacturer, this change doesn't make sense. Think about this: for years, Volvo prided itself on all of its first for safety innovations, yet this isn't one to stand on? In a sea of all red brake lights, what stands out more, amber signals or red ones?

If the Euro light clusters can be retrofitted that would be ok, but I am honestly surprised that this change was made by Volvo corporate. Any other manufacturer I would have given it a pass, as their reputation never rode on safety.

In my opinion aesthetics should never override safety.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sweden is part of Western Europe, and the basic design is the same for that market. In 2014, Volvo sold 243,514 cars in Europe, and 56,371 in USA.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sweden is part of Western Europe, and the basic design is the same for that market. In 2014, Volvo sold 243,514 cars in Europe, and 56,371 in USA.
Yep. We have for over 15 years EU-legislation. A car homologated for one EU-country is homologated for all countries. So technical everything is identical. Only due tax or commercial reasons packages and prices may differ.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Key point you are missing, US is the king of large SUV's. It is not required in the US, so they are not using it here for cost reasons. An extra amber bulb costs more money, simple as that.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
While you guys worry about the turning signal, I'd talk about the brake lights. Not related to XC90 but I don't like the red tail light that is not distinguishable with rear brake light. Some SUVs and trucks have quite small brake light, just one square, and it is hard to tell the brake light at night solely from brightness change.

I'm wondering why no better lights are designed for night driving. Orange rear light and red brake light would be much better I think. Rear turning signal can be same color as brake light, no ambiguity as it is blinking.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Key point you are missing, US is the king of large SUV's. It is not required in the US, so they are not using it here for cost reasons. An extra amber bulb costs more money, simple as that.
I don't buy it. Your reasoning doesn't make sense. An amber bulb costs nothing. I have 3 Volvo amber bulbs in my garage cause I needed one and they were so cheap I bought 4 of them.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts