SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when the full polestar xc90 will be available? I have a t6 on order and have been waiting for 4 months as of today. At this point if a polestar xc90 was available for 2017 model year I would rather wait it out. I have contacted polestar and obviously they have no comment but they did mention the xc90 t6 ecu upgrade should be available as of next Monday. No info and what hp or lb-ft gains was given to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe a 2017 release in EU then a 2018 release in NAR.
I am interested in the Polestar TCU/ECU upgrade. Where may I find additional details on this?
They said in email will be up on there website the week of november 2nd if all goes as planned.

·
Registered
66 Posts
looking at the polestar site, the old 2015 xc90 was upped by 30hp and 50Nm...so potentially 346hp and 345Nm... i am so interested! Not the same engine set up so really not comparing apples to apples though it's more likely going to be between the current T6 and T8 figures so approx 350hp/Nm sounds bout right. All speculation obviously but its nice to be hopeful sometimes.
why do some reviews say the T6 has 316hp and others say it has 320hp? Which is it? Its really semantics but would be nice to know which one it really is.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
looking at the polestar site, the old 2015 xc90 was upped by 30hp and 50Nm...so potentially 346hp and 345Nm... i am so interested! Not the same engine set up so really not comparing apples to apples though it's more likely going to be between the current T6 and T8 figures so approx 350hp/Nm sounds bout right. All speculation obviously but its nice to be hopeful sometimes.
why do some reviews say the T6 has 316hp and others say it has 320hp? Which is it? Its really semantics but would be nice to know which one it really is.
Three different horsepower systems are in popular use:-

1 DIN or EU horsepower.
2 British horsepower (BHP)
3 SAE net horsepower.

The three are measured in slightly different ways and there are no formulae to convert one into another. The SAE net system usually gives the lowest hp, 316 hp in the case of the XC90 T6. As far as I can tell the DIN and BHP figures are both 320 hp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have contacted polestar and obviously they have no comment but they did mention the xc90 t6 ecu upgrade should be available as of next Monday.
So Monday came and went, sadly no news from Polestar.
I'm hoping the Polestar treatment will also be available for the T8

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Monday came and went, sadly no news from Polestar.
I'm hoping the Polestar treatment will also be available for the T8

They are releasing the ecu upgrade tomorrow as per the email to me today. They said it will be up on the polestar website. ( already told my dealer to order it for me asap tomorrow) Regarding a whole polestar suv from scratch I would bet no longer than 12 months from now it will be out. To big of a market to not try and test it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The P* Optimization is all about midrange power. It doesn't provide any off the line help if that is what you care about. Here is the chart from the S60 FWD...

On some upgrades they are shaving 5 tenths off the 0 to 60. Whatever the xc90 upgrade is i will take it. It's underpowered and could use help anywhere in the power band.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
On some upgrades they are shaving 5 tenths off the 0 to 60. Whatever the xc90 upgrade is i will take it. It's underpowered and could use help anywhere in the power band.
I don't know what drivetrain you are talking about but this is the same one that is in the XC90 T6 just in a FWD config. I agree with you about it being under powered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Although the little 2.0 liter is already being pushed quite a bit to get to the current 316HP, with a super charger and a turbo super charger, they have lots of equipment to work with!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Although the little 2.0 liter is already being pushed quite a bit to get to the current 316HP, with a super charger and a turbo super charger, they have lots of equipment to work with!
Not really because one of the main components of a P* Optimization is maintaining the original MPG rating of the vehicle, so their is only so much they can change.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Some blogs have some info today :
350 HP
Bigger brakes suspension etc
This is no different than the rumors from over a year ago. There is still no official word that it will even get built, but we shall see.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
That's it lol :facepalm:

·
Registered
580 Posts
XC90 T6 awd
Stock - 320hp/400Nm
Polestar - 334hp/440Nm
0-100km/h 6.4s

XC90 D5 aww
Stock - 225hp/470Nm
Polestar - 233hp/500Nm
0-100km/h 7.7s
So, for a T6, that's an increase of 4.3% in hp and 10% on torque. That is not a lot, disappointing. Maybe the power from the the 2l engine is already squeezed out in the stock version. Any higher than that and you'll start having problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's it lol :facepalm:

Whatever it is ill take it. This engine needs all the help it can get moving the suv. Another tuner will soon be releasing an upgrade also (heico sportiv) Hopefully they will be able to pull more power out of this motor. They are also releasing an exhaust which i will most likely be installing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, for a T6, that's an increase of 4.3% in hp and 10% on torque. That is not a lot, disappointing. Maybe the power from the the 2l engine is already squeezed out in the stock version. Any higher than that and you'll start having problems.

Im going to say that the polestar is an extremely conservative tune. hampered by the fact that they have to match the same mpg's as the advertised ratings from volvo. Pretty sure a smaller supercharger pulley and and some more boost to the turbos this can easily get to 400 hp and 400 lb ft.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts