SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the narrower phones (5, 5s, etc.) don't fit well in the open style cupholder area, and in the area farthest forward it falls over sideways. Where do you keep your phone (assuming it's not in your pocket?). Has anyone seen a good cupholder insert that can hold sunglasses or phone?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an iPhone 6+ and the best I can do is lay it on its side in the cupholder, but then it slides around or turn it at an angle standing up in the cupholder. Not the best, not the worst.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone has a better solution.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not an apple user, so I'm not up on the latest on car play. I presume Volvo will need to do something to make it work wirelessly. Is that something that is known to be coming?

·
Registered
148 Posts
iOS 9 which is coming out soon will allow CarPlay via WiFi. The XC90 has WiFi.

Given that the CarPlay software update is not out yet no one can definitively say that it'll use the WiFi connection. But I sure hope it does.

·
Registered
218 Posts
iOS 9 which is coming out soon will allow CarPlay via WiFi. The XC90 has WiFi.

Given that the CarPlay software update is not out yet no one can definitively say that it'll use the WiFi connection. But I sure hope it does.
I would agree and I would suspect that's the reason the XC90 software update isn't available until November. Apple is likely to release iOS9 in late september/early october right before the new phones come out (usually it's a few days or a week before the phones start shipping). That gives Volvo enough time to test iOS9 with their software before they release it to the public.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Under the arm rest and use Bluetooth won't work? Sorry I didn't receive my car yet.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Under the arm rest and use Bluetooth won't work? Sorry I didn't receive my car yet.
I do this for longer drives. Plus the USB port is in that compartment so I don't mind plugging it in. But Bluetooth works well.

I hadn't heard CarPlay will be wireless (someday if not now). That's cool but I'd just as soon charge while using it anyway so I'll probably stick with USB.

I'll confess I also got a vent mounted phone holder for when I want to use waze. Can't wait to test waze vs apple vs Volvo nav at once. Upside to the vent is it cools my tired old overheating phone as its charging. Trying to hold out until android auto is available to get a new phone.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
On top of the closed cup holder sliding cover, I plug it into the USB port about half the time. I have the rubber case over my iPhone 6, it doesn't slide around at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On top of the closed cup holder sliding cover, I plug it into the USB port about half the time. I have the rubber case over my iPhone 6, it doesn't slide around at all.
Great idea. I tend to not keep a case on my phone, but that might work.

Other option I've considered is finding a great cup style carry all to drop the phone in while driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts