SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What is your advice to prospective buyers?

• Buy a 2016 now

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • Wait to see how the November update goes, then buy a 2016

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Wait for a 2017 model

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Find a different vehicle

Votes: 2 3.8%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to run a poll specifically for those who own the car and have had it in their possession long enough to form an opinion. Knowing everything you know now -- the car's functionality, hardware, software, experiences with the dealer/service department, contents of the long-awaited November update, rumored features on next year's model, expectations for future price increases, etc., etc. -- what advice would you give to future potential buyers?

While others are certainly invited to join in the discussion and post comments, I think it would be really helpful if we could limit the voting only to those who own and have the car (i.e., not ordered and waiting or those like me who haven't yet ordered).

My wife and I are trying to figure out whether or not we should place an order this weekend (for delivery in early Feb) before the December price increase, or to wait 6 months and place an order for a MY17 (for delivery likely in late Aug/early Sept). We have a perfectly functional car right now (2006 Acura TSX) so we don't technically need to rush, but we're expecting our first child in early Feb and that's what's made us want a newer, safer and bigger vehicle. The only concern is that with a new baby coming, we may not have much time to spend running back and forth to the dealership if there's a lot of issues we need to deal with.

While my situation is obviously unique, I figured there are others who could benefit from the collective advice of the owners on this forum.

Thanks in advance and I hope this is interesting/informative for many on this forum.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yust buy :D

I'm one of the first T8 owners, but production started just in October, so about 6 month after initial production. The car is fantastic and without any problems :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I answered "wait until MY2017" but of course the answer varies on what a person's needs are. I had to buy a car this year, so that wouldn't have been an option for me. I ruled out the Q7 because it was delayed until a 2016 launch . If you do have to buy now, I think getting an XC90 now is a viable option if you do it eyes open that there are still a lot of glitches and features being worked out and not all of them will be addressed by the November update. Spend a few hours absorbing this forum and learn the range of things you may experience -- software glitches, various battery drain issues, unexpected engine revving, no Driver's Profile to associate your key fob with your settings, etc. If you aren't scared off by these, it's a beautiful car inside and out, drives nicely and the software does have significant potential. If you are concerned, trust your gut and don't talk yourself into anything.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've had had the car since July. My dealership experience was really bad. My experience with Volvo was better, but I'm still not a fan and I won't describe them as more than mediocre at best.

I love the car. People say when you get a nice car like this, the goodness goes away within a couple months. Not for me with this car. I still sometimes just look at it in the morning. I make excuses to drive it. It's just a really great car IMO. I couldn't go back to no touch screen. I couldn't go back to chunky ugly seats. The safety features are done way better than most. The drive is solid and comfortable. The interior rocks.

None of the bugs or issues have detracted from my enjoyment of the car on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Also, I have not been to the dealer once, other than to try and get the door rattle fixed. That issue has decreased over time though, and I still expect a fix someday. But I have had the car since July and have had no reason to take it in before this senses update.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I answered "wait until MY2017" but of course the answer varies on what a person's needs are. I had to buy a car this year, so that wouldn't have been an option for me. I ruled out the Q7 because it was delayed until a 2016 launch . If you do have to buy now, I think getting an XC90 now is a viable option if you do it eyes open that there are still a lot of glitches and features being worked out and not all of them will be addressed by the November update. Spend a few hours absorbing this forum and learn the range of things you may experience -- software glitches, various battery drain issues, unexpected engine revving, no Driver's Profile to associate your key fob with your settings, etc. If you aren't scared off by these, it's a beautiful car inside and out, drives nicely and the software does have significant potential. If you are concerned, trust your gut and don't talk yourself into anything.
Thanks. Definitely agree not everyone has the luxury of being able to wait, so sometimes you have to make a decision more urgently.

I guess where I'm at is that I can deal with bugs and software glitches and rattling parts if it's just odd behavior and screwed up convenience functionality (these features are all really nice to have, but I don't have them on my current car).

But what I think I can't handle is having to take the car into the dealer all the time even if the repairs are covered under warranty. I've been spoiled by owning my current Acura which has only required me to take it to the garage 2x per year since I bought it. Once in the spring and once in the fall when I change the oil and switch from summer to winter tires. While I have no real idea of what having a child will bring, the one thing everyone has told me is that you'll get very little sleep and have very little free time while the baby is young. Going to visit the Volvo dealer frequently just may not be possible.

The only things I've read on the forum that really scare me are the unexpected engine revving / lack of power upon acceleration (safety issue!), water leakage in the rain (seems like isolated assembly screwups rather than design issues from what I can gather), and the radio coming on / battery draining (because I live in an apartment and park my car in the parking garage -- i sometimes go 4-5 days before going down to the car, so the risk of having the battery drain out completely is pretty high). I guess I'd be curious to know how prevalent those issues are.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't think we can accurately tell how common those issues are using this forum. I can say, I had none of those issues though. Knock on wood. The bugs I have seen are super minor and super rare.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't think we can accurately tell how common those issues are using this forum. I can say, I had none of those issues though. Knock on wood. The bugs I have seen are super minor and super rare.

The interesting thing is.. The only reason that I noticed the leaking was because my car was parked on an incline both times the leak occurred, thereby letting the water migrate down from the sunroof to the rear pillars and visibly make an exit by seeping through the seams in the rear pillars. I don't want to make anyone nervous for no reason but it would not shock me at all if there are others that are having the issue when going through the carwash or when it rains and they just don't know it because the car isn't sitting on an incline in a rainstorm for hours. My headliner was very wet, yet there was only one very small visible water streak that I wouldn't have even noticed otherwise, so it's not necessarily visibly apparent. If it were me, I would be feeling the headliner all around my sunroof everytime I went through a carwash or there was a rainstorm at least a few times before I was comfortable that water was not leaking in. I'm not the only one that has had this issue and it hasn't been determined if it's a design or assembly flaw yet. Volvo has a field tech that has come out to look specifically at my car and is with it right now, I will update when I know something.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

So if you open your driver door with the engine off (after it has been off -- not right after use) and close it again without starting the engine, the radio does not stay on? You would be the first person I have seen confirm that the behavior does not occur for them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
XC90 owners: Knowing everything you know now, what is your advice for prospec...

Sorry, I do have that. I consider it very minor. I always lock the doors and it seems to prevent that.

In other words, I never think about it, and it never bites me.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The real gamble with this car, more than other's I have owned, is can you judge the stability of the car just because you haven't experienced the issue yet. Paradox and I are among the longest owner's on this forum or period (both approaching 6 full months), and we are still experiencing new glitches to this day for the first time. And some of those happening now are worse than the minor ones that came before. Paradox's engine rev problem is an extremely serious concern. It reflects the fact that the electronics and software in this car and extremely complex, extremely inter-related and for whatever reasons the routines that trigger unexpected behavior can be caused after extended use. Which means you can't really predict if more such issues are forthcoming. That's not the same as worrying that your engine will experience a mechanical failure or your brakes won't last as long as they should -- it's the potential of one of these drive-by-wire systems to have a serious bug already there that just hasn't emerged yet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I can't judge the stability of the car across the population. I do t think we can use this forum to do that either. I can just relate my experience.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can't judge the stability of the car across the population. I do t think we can use this forum to do that either. I can just relate my experience.

Yes, but the fact that some of these issues are occurring to ANYONE at all, coupled with the seemingly sheer diversity of the electronic glitches that have been reported, some occurring right away and some months after ownership, is just alarming.

I get it, some of these issues happen to people every single time a new model year comes out for any car brand. You're going to get your rattles, your going to get your bluetooth problems, you're going to get this and that. No one can, with a straight face, tell me that this is even remotely the same thing. Of course, short of everyone on this forum lying about their experiences.

I am absolutely intrigued to see what the big update does to the software systems in the car. Will it adjust the collision detection so that water splashed from a puddle onto my headlights no longer triggers the death defying false collision detection lights and alarm, making me think that I'm about to be T-boned into oblivion? We'll see.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Honestly, non of the glitches I've seen bother me at all. Only my door rattling with the speakers. The worst thing I've seen is once the senses system rebooted while driving. None of it has affected my daily driving experience at all. Knock on wood again :) I don't doubt the other reports.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
All things considered I say wait until the update if the tech is a big factor for you. I love my car but have dealt with glitches etc and am braced to be very disappointed in the final tech package. I fear it has almost everything I want but volvo is managing to just barely fail to pull it all together. All this fanfare about this update which in the end seems to be mainly fixing bugs and updating the on call app for use with newer apple watches. Hard to believe this is really what they had in mind when they announced the update to begin with! I mean most bugs weren't even reported yet.

I fear they released a half baked infotainment package and will be unable to maximize its potential. My main interest in the xc90 was having the most up to date tech which has become more and more synonymous with carplay in my mind. At this point, the xc90s implementation looks the same or inferior to VW and Chevy, and the onboard modem can only run at 3G. I loved the large central touchscreen, but I feel like I'm only going to be using 50% of the screen real estate so it may as well be the size of every other screen out there.

I love almost everything else about the car so I really hope I'm wrong about this.

I would also say if you are waiting for a little while, and can afford to hold off til 2017 may as well. I can live without it for sure but having power steering adjustment and memory would be nice. I think I notice it mainly cause this car has everything else I could think of so its absence is glaring.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The real gamble with this car, more than other's I have owned, is can you judge the stability of the car just because you haven't experienced the issue yet. Paradox and I are among the longest owner's on this forum or period (both approaching 6 full months), and we are still experiencing new glitches to this day for the first time. And some of those happening now are worse than the minor ones that came before. Paradox's engine rev problem is an extremely serious concern. It reflects the fact that the electronics and software in this car and extremely complex, extremely inter-related and for whatever reasons the routines that trigger unexpected behavior can be caused after extended use. Which means you can't really predict if more such issues are forthcoming. That's not the same as worrying that your engine will experience a mechanical failure or your brakes won't last as long as they should -- it's the potential of one of these drive-by-wire systems to have a serious bug already there that just hasn't emerged yet.
You nailed it. The fact that problems can appear out of nowhere is very concerning. For example, I don't understand how the car can drive fine for a couple thousand miles and then suddenly exhibit the engine revving problem. It's as if a precise set of events all need to occur simultaneously in order to trigger it. Unfortunately, this makes it very difficult for the technicians to diagnose the problem. Overall, I really love my XC90, but because of unpredictable issues like this, I'd probably have to recommend that someone waits before buying one. Unless you desperately need a new car ASAP, there just isn't any downside to waiting.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I think I'm at 2500 miles now and I'm very, very happy with my purchase. One should always keep in mind that the negative is almost always louder than the content, happy and satisfied. Not to negate their experience, just adding some perspective. How many have been sold compared to those that have had issues? 1%? 0.1%? Maybe I have few issues to speak of because I never expect perfection, I'm looking for a satisfactory mode of transportation that will get me home with less frustration than I left work with and my XC90 does it effortlessly. I shouldn't have waited as long as I did.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm from the beginning following this sub-board and I'm aware about the glitches Citivas and Paradox have been experienced.
Now Volvo started to deliver the T8's, only my dealership is delivering about 25 (!) per week, we don't see these type of small errors occurring. And the T8 is, compared to the T6/D5, even more complex.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts