SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The place where Volvo could come to get inspiration on what to add next :D
This thread should contain only the result of a different thread discussion on something that XC90 users wish to have added to the car.
This is not the place to discuss the feature itself or to report bugs, just things that are missing and should be added.
It this turns out to be popular, it may be worth making this sticky.

*Feel free to contact me to edit a post to add details to represent all opinions. Feel free to delete your posts when you are happy with the suggested version so that we can keep the thread as clean as possible.*

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'll start with the wishes I've seen so far in the various threads:

#1 - software option to auto-unlock all doors when a car is stationary and the motor is turned off by the driver (or placed into Park, user selectable)
To adapt to various security levels/markets, it would be interesting to have multiple choices
AutoUnlock on
:park
:park and Drivers Door Open
:park and Either Front door opens

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#2 - software option to make the low-fuel alert more visible (audio, HUD, and upper driver panel)

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
#3 - Driver profile(s) based on specific FOB

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
#4 - add a software version report screen accessible to end user

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
For your post #2 (Your 'wish' #1), the option should really be, auto-unlock all doors when the shifter is placed into Park. It shouldn't be engine dependent. Many times I'll pull up in front of someones house, stop and go into park for a person to hop in, and then go into Drive again to leave, never turning the engine off.

And again, this should be a secondary choice to the way it is now, that way people get a choice and more customers are made happy.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
What other cars have and that seems to be a nice balance between convenience and keeping one safe is:

Auto Unlock after car is placed in park AND the drivers door is opened first.

They could offer multiple options
AutoUnlock on
:park
:park and Drivers Door Open
:park and Either Front door opens

Everybody wants something different. Just adding even one of them makes things nicer for a lot of people that want this.

Also, in another thread, somebody had asked for an auto courtesy light setting.
I've owned numerous vehicles that unlocked simply after being placed in park. None required me to open the drivers door. But sure, they have a lot of screen real estate on the dash, give multiple options on how it can operate. Point is, give more than the way it is now. I mentioned the auto courtesy lighting a while ago, probably end of May, early June. The lights in the door handles and interior should illuminate when the car detects the key fob approaching the vehicle. Even the Prius has had this since 2004.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
#5 - software option to activate courtesy lights/door handles when the car detects key/fob approaching. (Competition has that, Prius)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yes way more lighting programmability please. It would be so easy. Approach lighting but also more options for the home safe/exit lighting.

I'll have to dig around to see if I can change it but I hate how when parking the interior lights go way up and stay on until the doors lock. I'm not usually paranoid but I'm NYC this actually seems sketchy to me and at least id like the option for more privacy.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've had four months of ownership to think about it...

#1 ... by a mile for me, would be for Volvo to either license Waze as the in-car navigation system or for a combination to happen where Apple and Google agree to add Waze to CarPlay and Volvo upgrades the CarpPlay functionality to have a full screen mode instead of limiting it to the window pane size. As it stands, the navigation in the Volvo is rarely used now that I thoroughly tested it and realized I still need to rely on my Waze app on my phone.

#2 -- The promised-at-launch Drivers Profile features. Without this, the Volvo ironically (given the emphasis on next gen tech implementation) is the least customizable car I have owned this century.

#3 -- Pretty much all the suggestions above I agree with.

#4 -- Actually turn on remote software updates (beyond just revisions to the optional few apps that are available with whatever software version your car was delivered with or your dealer most recently installed). As it stands, they have never implemented wireless software updates for the Sensus software or the maps. You can only update them with a dealer appointment for Sensus or a dealer appointment or use of a PC and USB drive for the maps.

#5 -- The ability for the user to turn off the City Safety automatic braking and the proximity alarms. Every other car I have had this century has proximity alarms but also has a button to turn them on or off. I like them off, my wife likes them on. Better than a button would be to have it selectable as part of your driver profile (if/when that feature ever exists). I simply don't need them and find them always going off while parking or going in/out of my garage distracting. And as I hypothesized and feared before actually receiving the car, the auto-braking has proven incompatible with NYC driving. I've have driven in this area for 14 years without an any accidents and another 14 years in LA commuting before that without incident. But this thing has gone off a couple dozen times for me in 4 months, all unnecessarily. It simply over-reacts to things like cruising by a car that is turning into a driveway on a country road where it is legal to pass and flips out at the close driving that is typical of approaching the tunnels in NY (where 12-18 lanes converge to 2-3), etc. I;m sure some purist will rail about safety but Volvo cars existed just fine before these features and every other brand seems to do fine with making them user selectable. Bottom line for me is I find it more potentially dangerous that it keeps activating unnecessarily (for auto-braking) and distracting me (for the proximity sensors).

#6 -- LTE/4G modem, and more and better apps to actually make use of it. It probably has the fewest apps of any Volvo or any of its competition.

#7 -- Memory positions should be tied to keys (which is caught up in the missing Drivers Profile) and it should control more things like drivers side AC settings, current radio station and favorites list, default driver mode (which apparently won't happen because of regulatory emissions issues or something), default phone pair choice (i.e. if my wife is driving her phone should be paired even if mine is normally the default), etc. It would be great if it also controlled the rear view mirror position but that would require it be motorized. Ditto for the steering wheel position (which would also need to be motorized).

#8 -- Speaking of which ... motorized the steering wheel position.

#9 -- Electronic control of the third row seats and headrests. The former was supposed to be a feature but was pulled. On the latter, I find it ironic you can press a button to drop the second row headrests which are so far to the side that they don't really disrupt your rear-view mirror view, but you can't do the same for the third row headrests which almost completely block your rear view when up (and in my car the third row is being used so regularly that if I manually put them down by the next day at least one is probably up again).

#10 -- Create the ability to have multiple sets of favorite radio channels. At first I loved that there was no limit on how many favorites I could have unlike most cars which have 2-3 sets of 5-6 per radio band. But now I really miss those multiple sets because there are distinctly different categories of radio one might want to listen to and it's annoying to have to browse through channels totally unrelated to your current purpose. For example, I have a set of news and traffic stations which I use at entirely different times than when I want to listen to music. I don't want to have to scroll through NPR and NYC traffic to get between music stations. And even within music with my previous cars I could have a set of contemporary stations or a different bank of all the speciality satellite stations I liked with older music, and pick which I wanted to browse at any given time. Now they are all mixed together in one big jumble with 20+ favorites I have to browse through every time I am looking or a song I like. Also, as it currently stands without Drivers Profile, there is no want to have different sets be for different users, as we do in our other cars. So everyone's favorites are bumbled together.

#11 -- Improve the radio favorites interface so that the user can easily sort the order they want stations to be in. Right now the order is locked in by the sequence you originally added the station. I have a jumble of 20 almost random station orders in favorites as various people added them and haven't had the time/energy to write them all down, delete them all and manually re-enter them in a logical order. With the multi-touch screen it should be as easy as letting us drag and drop the order. Also, right now the only way to add a channel to the favorites is to go to the bank (FM, XM, etc.) you want and browse the list of all stations. There is no way, for example to simply select that the station you are on should be a favorite. This is a huge step backwards from the way most cars have done it for 30 years where you usually just press and hold the memory button while on the current station to add it to your saved favorites. There is a disconnect now between deciding you like a station (say 100-and-something on the dial) and having to scroll through a separate list starting at 1 to find it and select it for favorites. And its far too distracting to do all that while driving (and unlikely you can complete at a stop).

#12 -- More storage space. This is the first car I have owned where I haven't found it easy to adapt to whatever it offers for storage that is within reach of the driver. The cupholder has become the default tray for my two sets of prescription glasses (one regular, one for sun). There are a couple options for them if I always had them in cases, but I like them out of the case to quickly switch depending on the brightness during a drive. And it's the first car where I am not hiding a set of jumpers in the back because there was not room for them in the limited compartment in the rear.

Okay, I'll stop there. I have more but it's getting crazy. I left out things that seemed like feature fixes as opposed to new features (like making the voice commands work well and getting rid of the 1980's computerized voice, etc.).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
#6 - (keeping up with the original enumeration) allow more functions (like checking traffic problems) when the navigation is not in full screen mode.

·
Registered
702 Posts
#1 ... by a mile for me, would be for Volvo to either license Waze as the in-car navigation system or for a combination to happen where Apple and Google agree to add Waze to CarPlay
YES times infinity!

As it stands, the navigation in the Volvo is rarely used now that I thoroughly tested it and realized I still need to rely on my Waze app on my phone.
Where/how do you mount the phone in the XC90? I am considering either the ProClip system or Kenu Airframe.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought a 10' lightning cable (this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YA6YNIA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00) and ran it from the USB in the center armrest tucked under the leather strip along the side of the center console, tucked under the dash/steering column and again tucked up the inside of the drivers door jam until it came out right in the corner where the A pillar is. I then use this mount (http://www.ebay.com/itm/301547522951?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) installed in the corner of the windshield and the phone magnetically holds onto it. Perfect fit, out of the way and quite discreet.
You got any pictures of this setup? Always wondered how something like that would look. I took a quick look and I'm not so sure it's discreet enough for me, without doing some physical alterations to the interior.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Speaking as someone with small children, I'd like to see:

A. Option to get Captain's chairs in the second row.
B. Option to get an entertainment system with seatback TV screens.
C. Option to get more than one booster seat.

I almost bought a Dodge Durango instead simply because it has items A and B.
I would add:

D. Top tethers in the third row.

Until the diesel scandal, we were considering the Audi Q7 because of this.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll see if I can snap a few pics tomorrow.
guys (paradox, jekecy, tibits, citivas), could you please move this (good) discussion to a separate topic and delete your comments from this one? They are way off topic :) I'm trying to keep this thread clean of discussions ...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
#7 - add more "kids seating" options:
o Option to install Captain's chairs in the second row.
o Option to get more than one booster seat (like in the XC60 where you have two)
o Top tethers in the third row.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
#8 - Entertainment system with seatback TV screens
o DVD player

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
#9 - Invisible or semi-automatic tow hitch for North America

#10 - Alternatively, color-matched, flush tow hitch cover

#11 - Remote start via FOB

#12 - Consumer access to list of current error codes, if any, via Sensus - facilitates remote troubleshooting

1 - 20 of 22 Posts