SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps people can post their MPGs (and the octane used) and other particular. Suggest the format:

XC90 model year: 20xx
XC90 model type: FWD or AWD...
Overall MPG: xx
City MPG:
Hiway MPG:
State you live in:
How you drive: lead foot or feather foot
Tire type: summer or ___
Color of your car: white, ___ (should use less air conditioning less in hot climates the lighter the car color)
% of time driving at night:

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
It really varies on what road (flat or up/down hill) you drive and how heavy your foot is, and temperature also (more so if you don't drive long enough each time). Pretty hard to do a scientific sampling.

·
Registered
381 Posts
In general, I'll say that I'm getting better than advertised MPG which is a first for me. I wanted to give it a good chance, so recently tested in Eco mode at interstate speeds (75-80 MPH). Over about 400 miles, I got about 28 MPG. Around the town driving, I'm averaging around 22.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
22.7 overall average MPG (according to it's own trip computer). Though that average benefitted from a disproportionate amount of long trips (i.e. long stretches of highway or country roads) than will be typical for the car since I was still using my old one for the daily commute until a month ago. You're asking a lot if you want everyone to have an exact calculation of highway versus city driving. Someone with time on their hands would have to keep resetting the trip computer every time they switch road conditions and keep some spreadsheet.

I would say it's between 5-10% better than my 7-year-old Honda Pilot in turns of MPG.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would say it's between 5-10% better than my 7-year-old Honda Pilot in turns of MPG.
Our previous vehicle was a 2006 Honda Pilot AWD. Same highway conditions I would get 19, compared to the 27-28 I'm getting in the XC90. City was about 15 compared to the 21-22 I get in the XC90.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Our previous vehicle was a 2006 Honda Pilot AWD. Same highway conditions I would get 19, compared to the 27-28 I'm getting in the XC90. City was about 15 compared to the 21-22 I get in the XC90.
My MY2009 (bought in 2008) Pilot does far better than 19 on the highway. I don't know that I have ever closely tracked a city-only average. And I don't think I'm getting 27-28 on highway now, though I rarely have a long stretch of highway that doesn't have some traffic slow downs so that affects the average.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Highway consistently gets me 27-28.

City gets me varying results. Driving normal to hard in nyc with a/c use got me 16-17. Driving normal / conservative got me 19-22.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I drive my '16 XC90 20-40 miles a day 75% city, I have a relatively heavy foot. I drive in eco about once a week and seem to average 26mpg when I do so. Normally I drive in comfort and range 22 to 24. I don't like dynamic because it's a little to eager for me, kind of like a puppy wanting to play. In dynamic I range from 19 to 20. This is more vehicle than my '13 Escape in every way and gets better mileage to boot, the Escape averaged 22. I'm very impressed, she also gets better mileage than my wife's XC60.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I drive my '16 XC90 20-40 miles a day 75% city, I have a relatively heavy foot. I drive in eco about once a week and seem to average 26mpg when I do so. Normally I drive in comfort and range 22 to 24. I don't like dynamic because it's a little to eager for me, kind of like a puppy wanting to play. In dynamic I range from 19 to 20. This is more vehicle than my '13 Escape in every way and gets better mileage to boot, the Escape averaged 22. I'm very impressed, she also gets better mileage than my wife's XC60.
What does the car say your overall average is? In the stats page.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, its interesting that the XC90 gets much better MPG (about 20%) than the XC60 being the XC90 is 500 pounds heavier than the XC60 (4693 lbs vs. 4176). May be the EPA MPGs estimates for the new XC90 were done in eco-mode?

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I am not sure if I just got lucky or if there was a computer miscalculation but I was getting an average 38.6 MPG when driving in ECO mode through the fjords of Norway which was very mountainous driving at speeds around 45 mph using 95 octane fuel. The trip computer mpg had been running for about 300 miles of this type of driving when we snapped this picture of the MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Yes, its interesting that the XC90 gets much better MPG (about 20%) than the XC60 being the XC90 is 500 pounds heavier than the XC60 (4693 lbs vs. 4176). May be the EPA MPGs estimates for the new XC90 were done in eco-mode?
Lighter engine and extra 2 gears do help.
Compare the XC60 T6 Drive-E (which is FWD) to the XC90 T6 Drive-E (AWD); the XC60 gets better gas mileage since, now that the same engine and same transmission are in play, it is lighter in weight.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Definitely doable as drag from wind resistance is much lower at 45 mph

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
So I am not sure if I just got lucky or if there was a computer miscalculation but I was getting an average 38.6 MPG when driving in ECO mode through the fjords of Norway which was very mountainous driving at speeds around 45 mph using 95 octane fuel. The trip computer mpg had been running for about 300 miles of this type of driving when we snapped this picture of the MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't believe the computer before the next fill up at pump. Computer is always over optimistic.

·
Registered
260 Posts
In the US there's hardly a location that forces you to drive 45 mph without a lot of stop and go. But I find that here in England, or for much of Europe, there are plenty of places like that (narrow windy country road with poor forward visibility, necessitating slower driving). I find that I average about 10 mpg better with my car than going at 70-80 mph in the motorways / freeways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts