SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm having conflicting infos on when the maps for the XC90 are being refreshed. I've seen so far "month" and "quarterly" for both the Europe and USA regions. Since I've got my car there was no map update, last one seems to be 17/06/2015 with maps version 1116, so monthly it ain't :)
Does anybody have more information on this subject?

·
Registered
18 Posts
According to Volvos own support site

What is MapCare?
MapCareTM is a map updating service for Volvo cars equipped with Sensus Navigation. This article describes the MapCareTM service means for Volvo vehicles of model year 2016 and onwards (Life Time MapCareTM).
Use MapCareTM
For vehicles of model year 2016 and onwards, free updates are available online (Life Time MapCareTM), see Map download for Sensus Navigation. The updates can be made 4-12 times per year (depending on region). You can also get access to the map updates via your Volvo dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow that's pretty good... Didn't even consider is whilst buying the car but good to know as my X5's maps had fallen terrible out of date and I hated going through tunnels it didn't know about and it's telling me to turn left / right / do a U turn

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
Updates would be great considering the nav barely recognizes a single road, highway, or even interstate, in my area. It's a bit of a joke and not very funny.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What map version do you have? As the OP stated the latest version seem to have been released on 17th of June and in Europe that is 1116 and in North America it is 1115. North America also is divided in to subregions if you don´t want to download and update the whole area (25GB)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That statement from the support site "...The updates can be made 4-12 times per year (depending on region)." is exactly my problem: Europe and North America are the two regions that should have the highest update frequency, but obviously the monthly refresh has not taken place. From monthly to twice a year there is a pretty large delta and some more precise statement would really be interesting. I've was shown a page of the internal training material for the XC90 and the monthly schedule was mentioned there as well.
On a similar subject, I wonder why there are no over-the-air updates as well, this should be the period where a lot of stuff should change/get fixed/etc etc but sofar nothing...

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Who is the map data provider that Volvo uses on the 2016 XC90? That should shed a lot of light on the frequency of updates by region. For the U.S., I was accustomed to two semi-annual updates. Thus, for me, quarterly updates would be a plus. Monthly updates do not seem realistic unless technologies and processes have vastly improved.

Even then, Volvo, like every other GPS road application, is subject to the release schedules of the map data providers. Also, map updates are very different from points of interest updates which could account for the higher purported frequency of updates. Either way, a clarification from Volvo would be helpful. If it is a concern, give Customer Care a call or email. My experience has shown them to be very responsive.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Updates would be great considering the nav barely recognizes a single road, highway, or even interstate, in my area. It's a bit of a joke and not very funny.
You need to leave the boonies and come back to Orange County. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts