SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 XC90 T6 and I bought it with just the key fob, which is missing all the internal parts. I have done the research and found it to be quite expensive to replace that. I would, however, like to have a spare key unless I lock myself out or something. I have checked with Volvo and they told me that there is a service key that came with the vehicle, however, they could not provide me with it. I have also tried a local locksmith and they attempted to cut one but it cut wrong and would not even open they door. Is there any other solution that might work for this?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
If all you want is a key to open the doors in the event of an emergency, find someone who does "laser" or "sidecut" keys and give them your old key with a S66NNP or NE66P blank. ** This key will NOT start your car, it will just open the doors and turn the ignition switch.

If you want a key to start the car or a remote programmed to manage the doors, it'll need to be purchased as an OE part and loaded into the car via a connection and software as noted above. Do some searches on this site and you'll get an idea as to a ballpark cost. Might come across couple other options but there's nothing that makes this easy to do without a trip to the dealer.

Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try that. The few places I've been either A) Tried to cut it and cut it wrong, or B) told be that I could only go to the dealer. The locksmiths that cut them had some fancy computer controlled machine. Guess it's not that smart :facepalm: I also had another question. The key fob itself is missing all the "guts" of it. Is there a way to replace just that so I can have the functionality of the buttons and put my key on it without reprogramming it or do I still need to get it programmed. It appears that the bottom half of it is removable.

·
Registered
236 Posts
is it possible to do it remotely? just asking as local dealers are charging $650 USD for one key....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't think you can do it remotely. Saw something online about programming the key to vehicle using some convoluted method. I guess I'll just have to deal with it since I do not have that kind of money to throw around for something like that. As long as the key still works I'm fine. I really just need an "emergency" key.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Volvo keys are made of steel, they chew up any normal locksmith sidecut bit, my local won't touch them. Why it's dealer or someone who has a machine more specific to this type of blank.

The blanks I noted are a softer metal. Some locksmiths may have this blank in stock but it was cheaper to buy online. I brought a couple blanks into my locksmith (same local as before) for the '05 some years ago. I keep one for diving and one at the house for a "just in case", cheap backup if you just need to get into the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the "backup" key fob need to be programmed to the vehicle to just open the door, or to use the buttons on it?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Does the "backup" key fob need to be programmed to the vehicle to just open the door, or to use the buttons on it?
The fob is two parts: the key blade and the remote.

Each part has to be programmed.

If you just want to open the door, you can do that with the key blade once it is cut. It won't start the car until it is programmed.

The remote buttons won't work until programmed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts