SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Community,

Well, I took delivery of my XC90 today after placing my order mid-September. Here are my impressions:

[*] I have no issues with the Inscription Trim. In Amber, it is probably the nicest interior of all current generation SUVs by far. In my mind it matches up to Maserati and keeps up with Bentley (I know, I know, blasphemy!). My dealer in NYC was also a Maserati/Bentley dealership and I could sit in each side by side. Nowadays, everything is plastic on even the most expensive cars. Volvo at least tries to hide the plastic. Maybe after the car begins to wear and "show its seams," I will reconsider my opinion, but the interior styling and ergonomics for a 6' 5" man exceeded my expectations. Finally, a car for a tall man built by tall men.

[*] The exterior looks great. There is really no debate on that.

[*] Accel/Handling in Dynamic is satisfactory. I'm used to more agile vehicles and the Volvo is a bit of a whale because it is so wide. Maybe a little too wide. In Dynamic, I can pull out from behind suddenly-turning taxis without risking my front quarter-panel, but the momentary hesitation in Comfort from the start/stop "feature," as well as lax steering could put someone in danger. I think the XC90 gets judged a little unfairly because the car defaults to Comfort mode. In a city like NYC, you have no room for error with a car of this size. MMV in the suburbs.

[*] Stereo is amazing. There is nothing more to say. The best I have ever heard in a car. For the one person I read complaining about volume: you might need hearing aids.

[*] Sensus passes my test: They did a great job of making it responsive, having the display be readable, and arranging primary functions into large icon-ed buttons. There are many thing you can fix with updates, but you cannot fix stupid, and you cannot fix slow. I have not figured out how to have the map appear on the instrument panel without a destination set. That would be helpful. Individual mode is coming and that would be helpful too.

[*] The heated steering wheel is well-designed and meaty. I have no complaints. Having the climate package, I worried about the integrated coils, but they are nearly invisible. Also, strangely attractive. I drove at night, bearing all of the city's bright lights and Chevy Suburban high-beams. The element was unobtrusive.

[*] Testing the Volvo drive assist feature on the West-side highway made me dance a little in my seat.

[*] The Volvo purchasing experience was initially terrible. All dealerships in the Tri-state area seemed ill-equipped to handle the clientele that this price-point attracted. It was a rocky road to even place the order, but in the end Volvo of Manhattan delivered. They deserve the full five-star survey and have my sincere recommendation.

All in all. I feel like I received everything I wanted in an SUV at a great price. What more is there? Maybe the Polestar tune.

Without further ado, here are my first pics of an XC90 in Luminous Sand. Pictures really do not do the car justice:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well you know the interior was designed by an ex - Bentley interior designer!

You can have maps full time in the instrument panel...look at displays settings.

Really nice car BTW!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Have you tried it in Eco mode yet? I have yet to make it the whole way home, I feel like I've failed Volvo's test of patience. Enjoy:beer:

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, last sentence of the first posts he mentioned Luminous Sand :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Colour is an individual thing,but a lot of people don't seem to like the luminous sand.Personally I love it:cool:... I narrowed my choice of colours to three. Onyx black, white and luminous sand....In the end went for onyx black but I keep glancing envious eyes at any luminous sand xc90s I see!.....Wish one could change the external colour 3 monthly:D

·
Registered
962 Posts
My dealer in NYC was also a Maserati/Bentley dealership and I could sit in each side by side.

[*] Accel/Handling in Dynamic is satisfactory. I'm used to more agile vehicles and the Volvo is a bit of a whale because it is so wide. Maybe a little too wide. In Dynamic, I can pull out from behind suddenly-turning taxis without risking my front quarter-panel, but the momentary hesitation in Comfort from the start/stop "feature," as well as lax steering could put someone in danger. I think the XC90 gets judged a little unfairly because the car defaults to Comfort mode. In a city like NYC, you have no room for error with a car of this size. MMV in the suburbs.

[*] The Volvo purchasing experience was initially terrible. All dealerships in the Tri-state area seemed ill-equipped to handle the clientele that this price-point attracted. It was a rocky road to even place the order, but in the end Volvo of Manhattan delivered. They deserve the full five-star survey and have my sincere recommendation.

All in all. I feel like I received everything I wanted in an SUV at a great price. What more is there? Maybe the Polestar tune.
I know the GM of EG, good guy... generally speaking they run a tight ship but as you stated the Volvo buying/dealership experience needs a great deal of work for the price-point the XC90 Inscription & T8 top out at. Further training, proper product knowledge and improved sales process is required immediately. I agree with you on the handling as well... it needs to be tightened up and dialed in a little bit better to be able to dart through traffic and avoid these zombies who wonder NYC with their noses buried in their phones. In the end considering how much you get for the price of the XC90 I am confident in the purchase and feel it is a great value considering the alternatives would have been priced about $20k higher for similar equipment.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Dear Community,

I have not figured out how to have the map appear on the instrument panel without a destination set. That would be helpful.
Great write-up! Glad the car meets/exceeds your expectations :) If you go into settings --> My Car, there should be an option you can go into to enable the map on your instrument cluster permanently.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Great review & great pics.
I hope you have a plan to protect the car when you park in a NY garage :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Volvo salesperson told me a story about a Volvo of Manhattan employee stealing money from Volvo and eventually the dealership got shutdown, and how the current Volvo of Manhattan is not really a Volvo dealership (Bentley/Masseratti instead). Maybe that contributed to your difficulty of getting the car. But good job on your part, great review!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gorgeous!

I love the Luminous Sand color, although I haven't seen it in person yet. I have my eyes spied out for any of these beasts in all the colors, though.

It's a nickel color isn't it (not like the coin, but metal fixtures like brushed nickel)? So, it's like silver mixed with a little gold - a nuanced color and very good looking!

Congrats on your new ride, so envious.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A little update on the Apple Carplay situation, if no-one else has posted it already: My dealers mentioned to me that "Car Play is a part of all XC90's" and will be "offered complimentary... as long as the vehicle is picked up by the client before 11/23."

I got a strange note in my Volvo package that claimed that I get a "complementary upgrade of the Sensus Connect system." Then goes on to state that "at the time of this complimentary upgrade, Apple CarPlay will be available for purchase..." In regards to "complimentary," I have only one thing to say to Sweden right out of the Princess Bride: "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

I love the Luminous Sand color, although I haven't seen it in person yet. I have my eyes spied out for any of these beasts in all the colors, though.

It's a nickel color isn't it (not like the coin, but metal fixtures like brushed nickel)? So, it's like silver mixed with a little gold - a nuanced color and very good looking!
Cb940, I did not even consider the color originally. My dealership had an allotment of incoming vehicles and the only fully-equipped model was in Luminous Sand. I much preferred Crystal White, but when I saw this car, I was smitten. It is a very distinguished color without being too gold and gaudy.

M

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great review & great pics.
I hope you have a plan to protect the car when you park in a NY garage :)
Told the garage manager who I have known for years to at least give me one good month with no scrapes and scratches. After that, it is all in the wind my friends.

M

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Nice write-up - thanks! I also went with the luminous sand :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Told the garage manager who I have known for years to at least give me one good month with no scrapes and scratches. After that, it is all in the wind my friends.

M
What I have is:
http://www.bumperblocker.com/products_bumper_protection_guards.html
+
http://www.bumperblocker.com/door-shox-car-door-protection.html

Since July, only one tiny very superficial paint chip, which I am not sure if it happened in the garage or outside. The garage guys are very good but still I strongly recommend full protection. If you are considering the items above, just let me know as there is a trick for the front bumper protector.

·
Registered
116 Posts
"In Dynamic, I can pull out from behind suddenly-turning taxis without risking my front quarter-panel, but the momentary hesitation in Comfort from the start/stop "feature," as well as lax steering could put someone in danger. I think the XC90 gets judged a little unfairly because the car defaults to Comfort mode. In a city like NYC, you have no room for error with a car of this size. MMV in the suburbs."

I agree with what you said. I made the individual driving profile with dynamic mode and start stop turned off and as soon as you start the car, need to scroll down and pick the individual mode. A bit of a hassle but better than getting stuck with no accelelaration when you need it the most.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Quote- A little update on the Apple Carplay situation, if no-one else has posted it already: My dealers mentioned to me that "Car Play is a part of all XC90's" and will be "offered complimentary... as long as the vehicle is picked up by the client before 11/23."

This doesn't make any sense to me. Mainly since CarPlay isn't available until after 11/23. So someone can pick up their car on Friday then bring it back Monday for a free upgrade, but if they just wait until Monday they have to pay?

But I'm impressed you got any info out of Manhattan- I was just there last week and asked 3 different people about CarPlay and polestar upgrades. No one knew anything (service guy told me CarPlay was "next year") and no one has called me with any info though they took my number and were "waiting to hear back". I also went in for my 10k service and when I came to pick up my car they had not cleared the "scheduled maintenance" message, plus a power steering failure popped up. Glad someone had a good experience with them because I did not. I think I saw your car there though! Looks great.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts