SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Does anybody here have information, hints, insights, intelligence... well just about anything about the launch of a hybrid or diesel XC90 (or any Volvo model, in fact) in North America in the near future. I have heard that Ford is going ahead with hybrid models... how about Volvo??? Will it be the last manufacturer to go ahead in that direction?

Thanks!

F.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: XC90 Hybrid... or diesel in North Amerrica... Does anybody know anything??? (Fred-122)

Well, if there was demand in the U.S. I'm sure Volvo's popular diesel engine would make it across the ocean. The 2004 3CC concept car is a compact electric that might lead to something eventually. Volvo Trucks has a diesel-electric hybrid for buses and large trucks, so you may see a Volvo-branded hybrid on the highway sooner than you think.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: XC90 Hybrid... or diesel in North Amerrica... Does anybody know anything??? (Fred-122)

Any updates on when the diesel version is coming to the USA? We are in the market for an OSD on one as soon as they become available for N. American delivery / specifications

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: XC90 Hybrid... or diesel in North Amerrica... Does anybody know anything??? (SurfOnline)

At least a couple of years for a diesel version.
Volvo has no plans for a hybrid at this time.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: XC90 Hybrid... or diesel in North Amerrica... Does anybody know anything??? (VolvoMax)

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »
At least a couple of years for a diesel version.
Volvo has no plans for a hybrid at this time.
I would not hold my breath waiting for a diesel to make it to this side of the pond. The particulate emission requirements are getting ever more stringent. Even with low sulfur diesel, it is a challenge to meet the latest round of particulate emission standards from California. And more states are adopting the California particulate standard. I just don't see Ford/Volvo spending the $ to certify a car that can be sold in a shrinking number of states. I would love to be proven wrong; but I don't think I will be.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Particulates and acid rain are just a local and regional issue. The only pollution issue that should truly matter is carbon / carbon dioxide, which causes global warming with catastrophic consequences for everyone. Do any readers have the technical knowledge and sufficient spare time (which I lack - the spare time, that is) to compute and compare the carbon or carbon dioxide emissions per mile driven with various engines and do a comparison? Simple MPG is not sufficient as diesel fuel contains more carbon per gallon than gasoline. I will be interested to see the results.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: (sol)

Quote, originally posted by sol »
Particulates and acid rain are just a local and regional issue. The only pollution issue that should truly matter is carbon / carbon dioxide, which causes global warming with catastrophic consequences for everyone. Do any readers have the technical knowledge and sufficient spare time (which I lack - the spare time, that is) to compute and compare the carbon or carbon dioxide emissions per mile driven with various engines and do a comparison? Simple MPG is not sufficient as diesel fuel contains more carbon per gallon than gasoline. I will be interested to see the results.
Hmmm. That sounds like the low tar cigarette argument - lower tar meaning a cigarette that is less dangerous to your health.... The problem is that you will still get emphasema; just later in life (after you have spent even more money with the cigarette companies feeding the cigarette addiction).

Particulates from diesel exhaust have been conclusively linked to lung disease. Diesel exhaust particulates have been one of the very few items to receive increased regulation from the U.S. EPA after it was effectively neutered in January, 2001. I rather doubt that particulate emission is a regional issue.

Going to your question about carbon dioxide emissions, I would imagine that a search of the european websites of the various car manufacturers will get you the information you request.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: XC90 Hybrid... or diesel in North Amerrica... Does anybody know anything??? (hastee)

Quote, originally posted by hastee »
anyone have a read on the particulate load of bio diesel?
Less than dinodiesel. In fact some research was done to prove that fueling with biodiesel (B100) would enable the diesel engine to pass the California particulate standard. The problem with attempting to get a waiver for B100 fuel is its availability - very tight (in California, B100 is available only at distributors).

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: XC90 Hybrid... or diesel in North Amerrica... Does anybody know anything??? (avolvofan)

I think the existing Volvo (low sulfur) diesel models with particulate filters meet the California and new Federal standards. The big outstanding issue appears to be nitrogen oxides emissions.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: XC90 Hybrid... or diesel in North Amerrica... Does anybody know anything??? (Calhon)

Quote, originally posted by Calhon »
I think the existing Volvo (low sulfur) diesel models with particulate filters meet the California and new Federal standards. The big outstanding issue appears to be nitrogen oxides emissions.

Nitrogen oxides / acid rain - another local/regional issue. Our government seems to care only about local and regional issues and not about worldwide issues. I love my country but hate its government.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: (avolvofan)

Quote, originally posted by avolvofan »

Particulates from diesel exhaust have been conclusively linked to lung disease. Diesel exhaust particulates have been one of the very few items to receive increased regulation from the U.S. EPA after it was effectively neutered in January, 2001. I rather doubt that particulate emission is a regional issue.

That's still a local / regional issue. Although lung disease can kill, the particulates only affect those in the locality, or at most region, in which they are emitted. Carbon affects the entire world. Our government continues to turn a blind eye to the one pollution issue that is truly global and cumulative.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: (sol)

Quote, originally posted by sol »
to compute and compare the carbon or carbon dioxide emissions per mile driven with various engines and do a comparison? Simple MPG is not sufficient as diesel fuel contains more carbon per gallon than gasoline.

I've looked at this a bit, although certainly not exhaustively. From what I've seen, for the same base vehicle, the Co2 emissions of a diesel are lower than for those of the comparable gas engine measured in terms of g/km. That said, the diesel is usually lower HP and somewhat slower, so it is not a perfect apples/apples comparison. For example, for a MB 320 model, the 320 cdi produces 202 g/km, while the E350 produces 244 g/km with slightly better performance per the MB website.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts