SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Wanted to clear something about haldex gens. If I understand correctly all xc90s including 2005 MY are using haldex second gen and then in 2006 they were fitted with haldex gen 3. What is the difference between the two? Also does this mean that all xc90s up to 2014 model were fitted with gen 3 or did they also recieve gen 4 update?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If I'm remembering correctly off the top of my head.
03-05 has gen 2 (most wheel rotation before engagement)
06-08 has gen 3 (1/7th of a wheel spin before engagement)
09-14 has gen 4 (immediate engagement)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both for answering so quickly, should've searched the forum more beforce posting new thread. Those threads answer all the questions I guess. So if I understood correctly all 2009 march+ xc90s should have haldex gen 4? Do you think this also applies to diesel engines?
Although seems to be little or no difference in performance between gen 3 and 4.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Thanks both for answering so quickly, should've searched the forum more beforce posting new thread. Those threads answer all the questions I guess. So if I understood correctly all 2009 march+ xc90s should have haldex gen 4? Do you think this also applies to diesel engines?
Although seems to be little or no difference in performance between gen 3 and 4.
Just compare the pictures on the thread I shared to what yours looks like. That'll answer your question 100%

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just compare the pictures on the thread I shared to what yours looks like. That'll answer your question 100%

I know mine has gen 2 since it is 05 model and I can feel the wheel spin pretty much everytime before rear wheels engage. Just seems it would be nice to know when shopping for the newer model. Pics are great though! :thumbup:

·
Registered
745 Posts
2005 V8 had gen 3

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In addition to video demonstration of haldex generation 3 I wanted to share how haldex generation 2 performs.
Here is my 2005 D5 in the video:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts