SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car hasn't been performing very well in snow even though the awd seems to be working. When driving in snowy roads uphill i have to use much power to get it going and the feeling is not great, even though its awd i have a feeling like driving 2wheel driving. It doesnt feel secure in turns so i'd say something isnt right. In the same conditions going uphill old quattro had no problems at all.. Even stopping on a hill and starting again when i couldnt do that. And the quattro didnt ride on very good tires. I have a set of cooper tires with 8mm thread left and 1 year old. So my question is there a possibility that awd just isnt performing right? Feels like its working just 60 or 70%. My guess is awd either works or doesnt work but i dont know. When tested on ice all tires are spinning so my guess was that awd is working. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Tires? I think with a system like Haldex, winter tires are more important. In my audi I could have completely bald tires and still do donuts because it's an active system. But with the Haldex turning on only when it senses slipping, tires are much more important

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I was just out, and I couldn't get mine to slip, and I was plowing through a foot of unplowed snow. Maybe it's the blizzaks, I don't know this is my first season with it, but its like a tank. I tried like crazy to lose control ask my gf she was yelling at me haha.. But yeah, I'm going with tires. I always run snow tires so don't know what it's like without.

My audi a4 was a totally different experience though because of the active awd, but the xc90 feels just as sturdy on the road... Maybe not as much fun, or as light or easy to swing through turns... Definitely can't hold it sideways for very long without it grabbing probably because of the weight. But it seems to work very well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input i guess i will first try different tires.. Which one are you using?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ou2mame - how much snow were you traveling in? Our XC was stopped by ~24". I was a little disappointed, but can understand when the snow is as high as the bumper there is a whole new world of forces working against me. Wondering if dedicated snows would have made a difference.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Having driven on all seasons and then on snows at slippery road condition I can vouch for the fact that snow tires make all the difference in the world.

I own 2 AWD Volvos, a Catera (RWD) and a TDI (FWD) and have tried them all in the snow with all season or summer tires and then with winter tires... and on all the cars the tires made all the difference in stopping starting and turning.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Ou2mame - how much snow were you traveling in? Our XC was stopped by ~24". I was a little disappointed, but can understand when the snow is as high as the bumper there is a whole new world of forces working against me. Wondering if dedicated snows would have made a difference.
I took a running start at a 3-4' snow drift to get out of my driveway, with a foot and a half to 2 feet in front of me all the way and got high centered and rocked it back and forth got got right out. The fronts and rears did their jobs exactly like they should. I was driving thought completely unplowed roads with no trouble. The engine was working, in the 4k range but it never skipped a beat. I've always run snow tires. I buy them used in the summer and stock pile them lol.. I had 3 different sets for my audi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts