SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 XC90 V8 with nearly 116.5k miles. About a year a ago the front brakes started squeaking under almost any braking. Took the car to the local dealership only for them to be unable to replicate the problem. After the third trip, they replaced the entire brakes (calipers, rotors, etc.) free of charge.

It's been about 15 months since then and the problem has returned. Really loud squeaking (audible over muffler delete and music), especially when braking slowly and rolling up to a stop when just driving around town.

Any suggestions on a fix? I should also add that it's cold here (>20F).

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Sometimes squeaking occurs from the clips that hold the pads in place. I would lubricator those. Also, try and perform a bedding process for the brake pads. That will clean off any junk on the pad/rotor side.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The dealer replaced your calipers for free? That's pretty nice of them. My dealer can't even put my engine back together right at full price lol

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
Its the OEM Volvo brake pads. I had a similar problem - bought my 2008 XC90 V8 from a non-Volvo dealer, with new pads and rotors installed. Within a couple of weeks the pads had started to squeak. Took it into my Volvo dealer and they suggested replacing the pads with OEM pads. Almost straight away I could tell that the pads were rubbing. Brought it back in and they couldn't replicate the problem. Fast forward 6 months and the pads were squealing so badly that I did some research and bought a set of Akebono ceramic pads for all 4 corners. Brought it into the dealer again - told them about squealing .. they were able to identify and replicate it this time .. but suggested putting on OEM pads again. I said no, to put on the Akebono ceramics instead. They said it wouldn't make any difference to the squealing - they were wrong. Completely silent brake pads now, and as a bonus, no brake dust!!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I also have Akebono's all around. No squeaks for me, they have been on for about 80k miles and they have plenty of life left. They are a lifetime pad. However, if it is that cold there, they do have less friction until they heat up. I would try a quality aftermarket pad first. Or the bedding process to see if that removes the little noise makers.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've never liked ceramic brakes, and I don't want to run cheap pads or track pads. Who makes good non ceramic pads? I don't care about dust I just want a sharp bite without the squish.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have done brakes on all my cars and the xc90 is the only one that ever squeaked even though I was using factory hardware and anti squeal lube. I finally fixed it with some CRC disk brake quiet I got at pep boys. it is a red goop that you put on the back of the pads that dampens vibrations. it worked where regular anti squal lube would not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone.

And as for the dealer replacing them for free, that's about the only thing they've done right in the last couple of years. They recently misdiagnosed a $600 engine repair (that I had a friend of mine repair for me) that didn't fix the problem. I guess you win sometimes, you lose sometimes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts