SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received new XC90 from the dealer. On inspection the battery stated it was low and needed to be checked. Sales person who you never believe stated that it was just due to the car not been driven so much. Stated I was not happy with the response and wanted it checked.
Service Centre checked the battery and reported that it was charging but very slowly and that there was an issue for sure and they would replace immediately.
They had to urgently get one of the demonstration XC90s urgently and swap the battery asap otherwise it would take a few days to get a new one.
Has anyone else had a rear battery problem?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Very likely it was from sitting on the lot. When I worked at BMW, the factory started sending us solar powered chargers to install on the lot cars to help reduce the battery replacements due to the vehicle not running. There are very high electrical demands in newer cars and even having a large battery is sometimes not enough. The newer BMW F10, F01, F02 and a few others are eating batteries literally. There is a a New Bulletin to replace the battery at every oil change, 10K miles now. Why you may ask. The reason is in the programming of DME (Digital Motor Electronics) The DME controls when the battery charges and to meet lower emissions standards and mileage requirements mandated by the Federal Government, the alternator will only charge on deceleration. So now your $250 oil change will require a $450 battery. Now Volvo may very well be slightly different and I haven't been to a Volvo school in a few years but I imagine there are some similarities as they share some electronic controls from OEM's. Good thing they swapped the battery out. You don't want a questionable battery.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
So-called ''smart' alternators that only charge on overrun or braking are becoming the norm. German carmakers call it 'brake regeneration' though the effect is rather less than in hybrids. I have not heard of Volvo using such alternators. The BMW problem is related to recertification problems and limited to BMWs as far as I know.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very likely it was from sitting on the lot. When I worked at BMW, the factory started sending us solar powered chargers to install on the lot cars to help reduce the battery replacements due to the vehicle not running. There are very high electrical demands in newer cars and even having a large battery is sometimes not enough. The newer BMW F10, F01, F02 and a few others are eating batteries literally. There is a a New Bulletin to replace the battery at every oil change, 10K miles now. Why you may ask. The reason is in the programming of DME (Digital Motor Electronics) The DME controls when the battery charges and to meet lower emissions standards and mileage requirements mandated by the Federal Government, the alternator will only charge on deceleration. So now your $250 oil change will require a $450 battery. Now Volvo may very well be slightly different and I haven't been to a Volvo school in a few years but I imagine there are some similarities as they share some electronic controls from OEM's. Good thing they swapped the battery out. You don't want a questionable battery.
I would agree if it had been sitting at the lot for a while but the car had just got off the boat and to the dealer. The Service Team have been great and really want to help. It took them 30mins to swap and check. I will probably be going in for a software update on another issue (software downloads) and they will recheck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts