SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem like this:

For the last few months, while driving my 2016 SPA XC90 I get a "Driver Support System" fault pop-up on the cluster with "repair or service required". The fault stops many useful driver aids such as Adaptive CC, Pilot Assist, Lane Keeping, Road Sign detection. Sometimes I can drive the car for 20 - 30 minutes before the failure appears. Other times it happens almost as soon as I start driving.

The car has been back to the dealer twice for them to investigate but both times they could not discover a fault and just updated the system software. Both times the fault has appeared for me within a few 100 feet of leaving the dealer which is infuriating and the dealer knows it.

The service guy at the dealer says that no fault messages are being stored in the system for them to see. The fault message is only retained while the car continues to be driven:

When the car is stopped and restarted, these messages are lost.

My XC90 is one of the First Editions that were the first run of the new SPA model in 2016. I'm now out of warranty but so far the dealer has not charged me for the two failed attempts to fix this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Judging by the number of replies, I am guessing this problem must be rare.

Thought I'd share the conclusion of the story.

I contacted Volvo Cars of North America directly and a representative spoke to me on the phone. The only possible next step was to take the car into the dealer's workshop a third time, for more investigations. This time I made sure that the fault was being displayed and left the engine running when gave it to them. They discovered an electronic fault with the instrument cluster. I think they mentioned the back-light. They replaced the Driver Information Module (DIM) which is apparently is a $2000 part. They did all this at zero-charge which I was not expecting since the car was recently out of warranty when I first reported the problem.

I have now had two weeks of problem-free driving which is a big relief.

I am annoyed by all the hassle and wasted time but grateful that they did the fix for free. I had already decided that I was going to get rid of the car if the cost of repair was high.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts