SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

XC90 Discounts & Delivery Times

24K views 106 replies 63 participants last post by  markp 
#1 · (Edited)
Newbie here, so please don't flame if I am doing something wrong...I will certainly take any constructive feedback if you have any.

Discounts
Has anyone had success in earning any kind of discount on the new XC90 T8 without doing OSD?

I am in Los Angeles and one dealer told me they *might* do $500 off because I was really persistent, but I don't have that in writing. Every other dealer I called said they best they will do is full MSRP. Some internet research I did on other sites leads me to believe there may be east coast dealers with higher allocations willing to deal a bit more, but I can't find any specific referrals to salespeople or dealers. Can anyone here help with that?

Already looked into the Volvo A-Plan (I am eligible), but of course the XC90 is not on the list of eligible models. Also looked into USAA auto program (I am eligible) and their Los Angeles-area negotiated price is $697 off at 1 dealer only.

I am willing to do OSD if that's the best deal, but I am relentlessly searching for a better deal than the "standard" OSD discount. I know there are several dealers lurking on the board and you may not want to publicly advertise a lower price. If that's the case, please PM me...

Delivery Times
I know there are cancellations on pre-orders that may be available, but so far I haven't found a single T8. So Cal dealers are telling me December for a custom ordered car. Nor Cal dealer telling me April to May. Not sure if the difference is OSD vs. domestic delivery. In either case that's a pretty huge difference in time...anyone place an order in the last couple weeks who can shed some light?

TIA everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
From my experience and what I have read in this forum. You will pay full MSRP. There aren't much deals to be had. The only one I know of was a loyalty discount but I believe that was about $500. I ordered my T6 at end of July and I have been given a date of end of October but I think it will be later in the year. The T8s I believe won't be delivered until next year. OSD for this year is gone so it will definitely be sometime next year.

#42 ·
I am new here...first post! I am new to Volvo, and am looking at an XC90. Is there a consolidated pricing thread, as someone previously asked? If you could please point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

I'm in Los Angeles, and am wondering if people are still paying MSRP, or if it's cooled off at all.

Thanks!

#5 ·
It's just deep economics. Demand (desire) and supply. This vehicle is a milestone for Volvo and perhaps will influence certain future design features in the auto industry. It is constantly being compared to similar makes priced higher for the same features. The fact that apparently every unit made is spoken for (that supply & demand thing) means the price will stay at what people will pay (desire). The true concern should be when's the next price increase. We've already had one $900 increase since introduction.
After the focus groups and the owner surveys come back over the next year or so, perhaps a more price/feature reasonable model will be made available. But for now, I am anxiously waiting for my Inscription to get here. And I keep adding options the more I read these forums (thanks--I think).
I do believe there will be a time when we will all be looking for that "Where's the bargains" thread, but not for a while.

#6 ·
I certainly understand supply & demand curves. I also understand that we have so many dealers in the USA usually willing to slit each other's throats over a couple dollars that the smart and patient consumer usually wins. Further, while the 2016 XC90 is perhaps Volvo's greatest hit since the C70 was featured in Hollywood blockbusters nearly 2 decades ago, its demand relative to other "hot" cars isn't that strong. There is no waiting list for the XC90. In fact, people can drive down to their local showroom and pick one up for Monroney today. Contrast this to the likes of the BMW i8's current 2+ year waiting list and the 2015 Escalade's $5,000 to $10,000 markup when it first launched, etc...

Yes, there will be manufacturer price increases, but there is also a 6% spread between invoice and MSRP that we will eventually get to take advantage of as consumers. There's also factory holdback aka "trunk money" that often comes into play on slower moving cars.

#11 ·
You might want to make sure they are talking T6 vs. T8. I believe you are looking at Spring 2016 for a T8 at best. Those of us who ordered a T8 when the books opened in April are scheduled to receive in November.

I got a CostCo discount of $500 on mine, and a few others have managed to get it, but no other discounts except for that.

You made a statement that there is no waiting list for the XC90. Granted there may be a few cancelled orders on dealer lots, but there is a wait and a waiting list if you want to order the car/options you want. Hence limited discounts.

#10 ·
I didn't find much of a discount with OSD in Canada unless I missed something lol

#13 ·
My dealer is telling me that an order placed today (T8 R-Design) will get a December production start date and a likely February delivery date. Is that about right?

He also mentioned that R-Design production is going to lag Momentum/Inscription models and isn't going to ramp up until December. Have others heard the same?

#21 ·
I ordered a T8 R-Design with vision and convenience and HUD. Was given an estimated delivery date in May 2016
We just put a deposit down on the "same" vehicle - T8 R-Design, Convenience, Vision, HUD, in metallic blue. As noted above, our dealer advised that we are looking at a February delivery date (fingers crossed). We agreed to $2500 off MSRP, though that is off the current higher MSRP.

#16 ·
I put a deposit down for a T6 Momentum Plus that was already ordered by the dealer. I got $700 off of the new MSRP. I placed my order post the $900 price increase around Aug 2nd (the dealer had already ordered the card at the end of July before the price increase). As such, I don't know if I actually got a discount off of MSRP or I paid $200 above MSRP. :)

#17 ·
I searched and contacted every dealer in Southern California who had a black on black momentum plus and not a single one was willing to go below MSRP. A few of them even said not to waste their time if I wanted to pay sticker, that they were selling them for 5-10K over MSRP (I call BS). I ended up paying MSRP for my XC90 with LoJack installed. That was 8/30/15.

#19 ·
Did the dealer allocate you one of the cars that they had ordered? Based on talking to several dealers, I know that a bunch of new cars are arriving around mid to late Nov since it seems like a lot of dealers put in their orders at the end of July before the price increase. On a related note, when you say MSRP, did they quote you the "current" MSRP post the $900 price increase on Aug 3rd? If they quoted you the previous MSRP, you probably still got a good deal..

#20 ·
Ordered on 7/17. Put $1,500 deposit down and agreed on a $350 discount off MSRP.

Ordered T6 Inscription with Convenience, Vision, B&W, 21" wheels, booster seat, and metallic paint

I was told it would arrive in September or October. I heard nothing since I placed the order so I called late last week and was told it would now arrive in late December. No idea what happened or why it will take so long. I'm unsure what to do at this point.

#23 ·
Discount and delivery time

I was able to score a great deal it seems. I went through True Car and got an awesome deal. FWIW, I have used them in the past for a 2012 BMW 335i convertible M sport and got a similar price, actually it was about 800 under invoice since I had a loyalty credit and a test drive credit. again, most dealerships balked, but I found a dealership that wanted the volume that was under 1 hour away.

Including a Volvo loyalty discount, I am paying $500 UNDER INVOICE, which is several thousand under MSRP. In my area (North East) 3 dealerships showed up, and 1 was just 200 over invoice. The other 2 said "call for price" which I did as they were close to where I live. 1 would not budge from MSRP, the other was $350 off MSRP, so I clearly went with the true car dealership.

I am getting the R in bursting blue (kinda bold for me but it will not be a popular color as you can only get that color with the R trim). Convenience, vision, BLIS thing, booster (3 kids) and cross bars. I elected to not go with the 22 inch rims, which is killing me since I think they look great, but w/o the air suspension I think the ride will too touch in the NE roads.

Ordered end of August, expected port date is mid November.

#25 ·
I was able to score a great deal it seems. I went through True Car and got an awesome deal. FWIW, I have used them in the past for a 2012 BMW 335i convertible M sport and got a similar price, actually it was about 800 under invoice since I had a loyalty credit and a test drive credit. again, most dealerships balked, but I found a dealership that wanted the volume that was under 1 hour away.

Including a Volvo loyalty discount, I am paying $500 UNDER INVOICE, which is several thousand under MSRP. In my area (North East) 3 dealerships showed up, and 1 was just 200 over invoice. The other 2 said "call for price" which I did as they were close to where I live. 1 would not budge from MSRP, the other was $350 off MSRP, so I clearly went with the true car dealership.

I am getting the R in bursting blue (kinda bold for me but it will not be a popular color as you can only get that color with the R trim). Convenience, vision, BLIS thing, booster (3 kids) and cross bars. I elected to not go with the 22 inch rims, which is killing me since I think they look great, but w/o the air suspension I think the ride will too touch in the NE roads.

Ordered end of August, expected port date is mid November.
This can't be true. If you got such an offer, why don't you share the name of the dealership.

#33 ·
2 updates. - my car is expected to hit the port this week, not Nov 12th. So northeastern deliveries are 1 week ahead? Or just my ship. Not sure.

2 - I asked the dealership to add the 22 rims from the 20. I think it is still not too late. I'll post again when I know. I should have it in my possession within 10-14 days. I'll post pics when I can.

#34 ·
I
2 updates. - my car is expected to hit the port this week, not Nov 12th. So northeastern deliveries are 1 week ahead? Or just my ship. Not sure.
Probably just your ship. Mine was scheduled to arrive at Halifax 11/2 and then NY 11/4, where my R-Design would be offloaded. Arrival at Halifax now appears to be two days later, so I'm guessing it'll be two days late to the NY port as well. Hoping the delay doesn't cause a ripple effect in the rest of the timeline and a potential rescheduling of the transport from NY to my dealer in MA, as I'm traveling the week of Thanksgiving and really want to take delivery before I go.

#35 ·
Hi guys, I just got a message from my dealership that my car is loaded on the truck. I hope it gets there tomorrow for a Saturday pickup. If not it will be Wednesday. The funny thing is I am not which tires are on it. I changed so many times between the 20 and 22 I don't know what i ended up with and dealership is not 100% certain. I guess I'll know on Saturday. Kinda like Chistmas!!
Also, my dealership is having good deals. I see 2500 off MSRP for an Inscription on their website. So discounts are around if you hunt. This is in CT. I'll send pics when I get it.

#36 ·
First post here. I just ordered a XC90 T8 R-Design with the works, pretty much. I'm replacing a 1992 740 Turbo Wagon that I got in 1991. I like to buy a new car every 25 year, whether I need it or not. My old Volvo was red, so I ordered the XC90 in Passion Red. I won't get a good estimate of build date until it gets into the system next week, sometime, but I'm really excited. Probably too excited, if I end up waiting until April or May.

My only complaint with the R-Design is that I can't get wood inlays for the interior. I didn't opt for the carbon fiber inlays, as I'm not crazy about the look, at least for car panels.

#39 ·
Hi all, I took delivery of the R design in bursting blue (20in wheels). When I get home I will take some pics of the term sheets. MSRP was 60k. My price was 55,800. Everything but 22 inch wheels, air, BW sound and no graphite. Has the booster. The dealership was Volvo of Watertown in CT. Pleasure to deal with. They are advertising 2500 offMSRP on their website. There are discounts to be had if you don't mind waiting.

#40 ·
I would love to see some pictures of the interior, particularly the seats and the aluminum panels.

#44 ·
I wonder if winning Motor Trend SUV of the year and positive reviews, in general, have any effect on dealers discounting. Also, the fact that orders are backed up. My own experience is to call around and have at least a cordial relationship with a sales manager who can make pricing decisions. There will always be that one dealer who, wisely, chooses to sell in volume at a better price. It also helps if you are flexible in your options and colors.

#45 ·
I wonder if winning Motor Trend SUV of the year and positive reviews, in general, have any effect on dealers discounting.
In response to inquiry on price, my dealer said "we can't really discount the SUV of the year, you know". So I would say Yes.

When it became clear they weren't budging on price, I went the other route and got some other things like CarPlay and accessories thrown in. Things I would have bought anyway.

#48 ·
Hi, newbie here. Took delivery of our XC90 Momentum last night. Paid MSRP. In NorCal seems you pay MSRP at this time at least for the "desired" models. Bay Area dealers may be willing to discount base models although for a paltry amount.

#49 ·
We went to test drive the XC90 before going to check out the Q7 and X5. We didn't end up leaving the Volvo dealership (in southwest FL), they came down to 61k plus tax/tag on our T6 Inscription with everything except air suspension and B/W sound system. MSRP was 63,850. One check of truecar while we were at the dealership showed an average of 500-750 discount max around the country, so we took it. They even printed out the dealer invoice paperwork for me to see. Very happy with the choice! My wife loves it.

#50 ·
We went to test drive the XC90 before going to check out the Q7 and X5. We didn't end up leaving the Volvo dealership (in southwest FL), they came down to 61k plus tax/tag on our T6 Inscription with everything except air suspension and B/W sound system. MSRP was 63,850. One check of truecar while we were at the dealership showed an average of 500-750 discount max around the country, so we took it. They even printed out the dealer invoice paperwork for me to see. Very happy with the choice! My wife loves it.
Congrats, looks great!

#51 ·
So looks like dealers are finally starting to give small discounts! Good to know, hopefully the discounts will be much better with 2017 MY lol :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.