SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were very excited about the XC90. We even considered ordering the first edition. We love nearly everything about the new XC90, design, gorgeous interior (nicer than the RR), technology, space & usability. However after several test drives we cannot get over the acceleration lag. This would be her car & she's a quick driver. The Volvo just cannot provide the initial acceleration needed. The nearly 2 second lag from when you floor it to actual movement is far too slow. She really wanted/wants the XC90 & has tried it multiple times hoping she can get past or used to it. Unfortunately we have taken the XC90 off the list and are planning on waiting for the much uglier but more powerful 2016 AudiQ7 with it's supercharged V-6.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did you try the dynamic mode? There is almost no lag in the dynamic mode.

I think it is all subjective. You sometimes get a very short lag in the comfort mode, which is not a big deal for me. At the right speed, even the acceleration in the eco mode surprises me sometimes.

I would have not taken the car off the list because of "2 seconds". Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure where you are from but... I am german and got a T6 in the US the XC90 offers more than enough power and acceleration for a SUV that is meant for comfort driving. The compressor gives instant charging on the engine from lower rpms and provides as much punch needed to let's say accelerate to merge lanes on a freeway... Anything more is just blabla not needed and not necessary for a comfort SUV and just yourself wanting to show off with large hp numbers or blubbering sound... And still there is the T8 available that should give plenty of instant acceleration due to the e motor torque... If you want a sports car get one! But honestly after a while I much preferred the comfort of the XC90 over the power of our 911 and constantly having to remind myself not to go too fast while driving it in the US...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
My wife and I were very excited about the XC90. We even considered ordering the first edition. We love nearly everything about the new XC90, design, gorgeous interior (nicer than the RR), technology, space & usability. However after several test drives we cannot get over the acceleration lag. This would be her car & she's a quick driver. The Volvo just cannot provide the initial acceleration needed. The nearly 2 second lag from when you floor it to actual movement is far too slow. She really wanted/wants the XC90 & has tried it multiple times hoping she can get past or used to it. Unfortunately we have taken the XC90 off the list and are planning on waiting for the much uglier but more powerful 2016 AudiQ7 with it's supercharged V-6.
My first impression was you don't want to be in ECO mode and need to accelerate, it really drags. BUT I then tried dynamic and I have to tell you that it is a world of difference and the acceleration is instant and you feel the kick back on your seat - very impressive.

If Volvo techs are reading this, just for safety alone they should allow an override of the ECO mode when you go WOT (Wide Open Throttle) in case you have an emergency situation and you need to pass a vehicle.

For now, if you always want to have the instant acceleration, keep the drive at dynamic./

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Han_Solo,

I am not a "super Volvo supporter" yet. My wife and I were looking at a bunch of options and we wanted something that was responsive not really a racer. We look at the Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura and others. We were not blown away by the xc90 but very satisfied with what we experienced in the test drive. We were happy with the acceleration but what we really loved was the the way it handled. It felt like we were driving a car and not such a huge CUV/SUV.

We did not test drive the Audi but did consider it as a serious contender. I actually get a huge discount from work for Audi but did not like the design.

Each of us have different tastes and different priorities. While some thing work for some people, something else works for others. Isn't that the reason there are so many brands that make cars? Good luck with your search. While the hybrid may provide a lot more acceleration, it may not be accurate comparison dollars wise with the Audi.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
You may want to hold out for a T8 model with 400hp 472lb-tq if you want extra power. But like many have suggested, did you try it out in Dynamic mode? I thought the 6.4sec 0-60mph was pretty respectable in terms of acceleration and power delivery; and this is coming from a guy who owns two 3.0L T6 models. Comfort/ECO can seem a bit slow to get started, but I think that's more to do with the tranmission than the motor its self.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You should check out the Grand Cherokee SRT-8 , I think that will get to 60 in 4.8 seconds? Audi will also release a SQ version in a few months with 4WS.

Handles Great:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NZLYse15cj4

·
Registered
22 Posts
The new SQs 5/7 will be diesels therefore plenty of power but expect the SQ7 way beyond th T8 price wise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first impression was you don't want to be in ECO mode and need to accelerate, it really drags. BUT I then tried dynamic and I have to tell you that it is a world of difference and the acceleration is instant and you feel the kick back on your seat - very impressive.

If Volvo techs are reading this, just for safety alone they should allow an override of the ECO mode when you go WOT (Wide Open Throttle) in case you have an emergency situation and you need to pass a vehicle.

For now, if you always want to have the instant acceleration, keep the drive at dynamic./

I couldn't tell you which mode she was using while driving (I was in the back). This may give her some hope. I'll tell her to give it another shot while in Dynamic mode.

I did mention the SRT Jeep, she thought that was too insane.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure where you are from but... I am german and got a T6 in the US the XC90 offers more than enough power and acceleration for a SUV that is meant for comfort driving. The compressor gives instant charging on the engine from lower rpms and provides as much punch needed to let's say accelerate to merge lanes on a freeway... Anything more is just blabla not needed and not necessary for a comfort SUV and just yourself wanting to show off with large hp numbers or blubbering sound... And still there is the T8 available that should give plenty of instant acceleration due to the e motor torque... If you want a sports car get one! But honestly after a while I much preferred the comfort of the XC90 over the power of our 911 and constantly having to remind myself not to go too fast while driving it in the US...
You are dealing with an American driver here, John. In our country, If there is any room between yourself and the next stalled car in traffic, you need to hit that gas as hard you can and boost the 50 meters to fill the space as quickly as possible, or the car undertaker emerges from the shadows and scythes your driver's soul from your body.

M

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love that car but it's a 75K JEEP!
agreed, but for the Volvo to have the same get up and go as the Jeep, you'd need the T8, so the Jeep is cheaper than the Volvo

of course, the Volvo T8 will give you much better mpg than the Jeep, and the Volvo will be more "refined" - both in looks and in driving

of course, if you are not going to plug in your Volvo, and if you are, for example, going to tow, then the Jeep might be better for you.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Why "floor" it? I have found with most consumer cars you get more response from a rapid but incremental push than a straight "flooring" of it. My Hondas are the same way. Besides, what is someone trying to accomplish? I have to accelerate rapidly to accomplish a pass or keep my lane tight to prevent one with the rest of them, all without the need to "floor it." To each their own, but I'm just trying to understand the legal application that's not being accomplished.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I couldn't tell you which mode she was using while driving (I was in the back). This may give her some hope. I'll tell her to give it another shot while in Dynamic mode.

Just put it in dynamic and leave it there. It also steers alot better imo after the test drive I did with one. Driving in comfort also felt like there was a delay for me when i'm used to normal mode on a mercedes ml.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
This market is filled with a bunch of very quick and very nice vehicles, but you have to pay to play...

Model X P90D: 0-60 3.2 $130K loaded
BMW X5M: 0-60 3.8 $100k starting
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S: 0-60 4.0 $157k starting
MB GL63: 0-60 4.8 $120k starting
RR Supercharged: 0-60 4.7 $100k starting

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

My friend has the SRT and it is insane. Dynamic mode should suffice. Remember it's only a 2.0L hauling over 4500 lbs. like for like the XC90 can't be beat. My wife was in the same conundrum as yours. She absolutely luvs her XC90 coming from a cayenne;)
My wife didn't care for the looks of the new Q7 and the third row, forgetaboutit!
She did consider the MB GL450 but the interior was too fussy. The hardly any buttons of the Volvo won the day.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts