SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Seems like this is the place that has more Volvo discussion. I am in New Zealand. Bought a brand new XC90 D5 back in early 2017 (manufactured in late 2016), with 3 Years warranty. Always sent to the dealership for service every year but I have had numerous issues over the years. For now, the car just clocked 70500km.

• First year, there was a minor accident, a car bump into the left front door but only slightly, only cosmetic damage and fixed.
  • 2017 there was a intake related recall, dealer fixed it for free
  • End of 2017 or around 2018. Intermittent gear stuck issue (gear stick stuck in Parking, could not release), software update seems to fix the issue.
  • Aug 2020. Starter motor failed. I was stuck at McDonald Drive through for 3 hours (Covid time, McDonald closed for 3 hours, super embarrasing), I didn't know how to release the electric brake at that time nor the Volvo Emergency Service technician who came onsite. Dealer fixed it for free, still within warranty at that time.
  • Dec 2020. Front driver seat (Right hand side) seat belt failed. Out of warranty, so I paid for fix.
  • 2021, I was told the brake rotors were worn (around 35000 to 40000 kms). So replaced.
  • 2022, I was told to replaced the EGR pipes, turbo gaskets, both front arms as they were lose. So got them replaced.
  • 2022. There was a sun roof crack which cannot blame Volvo. Went through insurance and got it fixed.
  • 2023. 2 weeks ago oil alarm pops up. Got it serviced and I was told to replace the vaccum pump as this is leaking oil and the brake rotors need to replaced.

My wife is the main drive around town and occasional trip across the country, and the car drives really good if it is working properly. And my wife really loves how the GPS and 360 degree screen works. Safe for the commuting kids too (We haven't had a chance to prove it not safe yet fortunatly).

But the constant issues is honestly driving me nuts. A few questions for Volvo owners
  • Is it normal for your 2nd gen XC90 to have these maintenance issues?
  • Is it normal to have the lower front arms failed around 45000kms?
  • Is it normal to replace brake rotors every 2 years? I was told by dealer last week these needs to be done every 2 years.

I am seriously thinking if I should keep the car, I might as well get it service by a 3rd party now and possibly just get the brake rotors upgrade, so I don't need to worry about for at least another few years. God knows if the anything else will start to fail like the suspension and stuffs.

Thanks for your feedback.

Eric

· Registered
270 Posts
Hi there,

Seems like this is the place that has more Volvo discussion. I am in New Zealand. Bought a brand new XC90 D5 back in early 2017 (manufactured in late 2016), with 3 Years warranty. Always sent to the dealership for service every year but I have had numerous issues over the years. For now, the car just clocked 70500km.

• First year, there was a minor accident, a car bump into the left front door but only slightly, only cosmetic damage and fixed.
  • 2017 there was a intake related recall, dealer fixed it for free
  • End of 2017 or around 2018. Intermittent gear stuck issue (gear stick stuck in Parking, could not release), software update seems to fix the issue.
  • Aug 2020. Starter motor failed. I was stuck at McDonald Drive through for 3 hours (Covid time, McDonald closed for 3 hours, super embarrasing), I didn't know how to release the electric brake at that time nor the Volvo Emergency Service technician who came onsite. Dealer fixed it for free, still within warranty at that time.
  • Dec 2020. Front driver seat (Right hand side) seat belt failed. Out of warranty, so I paid for fix.
  • 2021, I was told the brake rotors were worn (around 35000 to 40000 kms). So replaced.
  • 2022, I was told to replaced the EGR pipes, turbo gaskets, both front arms as they were lose. So got them replaced.
  • 2022. There was a sun roof crack which cannot blame Volvo. Went through insurance and got it fixed.
  • 2023. 2 weeks ago oil alarm pops up. Got it serviced and I was told to replace the vaccum pump as this is leaking oil and the brake rotors need to replaced.

My wife is the main drive around town and occasional trip across the country, and the car drives really good if it is working properly. And my wife really loves how the GPS and 360 degree screen works. Safe for the commuting kids too (We haven't had a chance to prove it not safe yet fortunatly).

But the constant issues is honestly driving me nuts. A few questions for Volvo owners
  • Is it normal for your 2nd gen XC90 to have these maintenance issues?
  • Is it normal to have the lower front arms failed around 45000kms?
  • Is it normal to replace brake rotors every 2 years? I was told by dealer last week these needs to be done every 2 years.

I am seriously thinking if I should keep the car, I might as well get it service by a 3rd party now and possibly just get the brake rotors upgrade, so I don't need to worry about for at least another few years. God knows if the anything else will start to fail like the suspension and stuffs.

Thanks for your feedback.

Eric
We are not too familiar with the diesel version as they don’t sell it in the US/Canada. The brake rotors are problematic but because they get warped. I’m on my 3rd set under warranty and next week going for the 4th because it vibrates again just after 14000km. I changed my own rear pads. My rotors never had “shoulders”/edge so the only reason to replace was warped rotors. My front pads are still on 50% with 68000km. Seat belt was a recall and my middle one in the second row has some issues so they’ll replace it. The diesel doesn’t like the short city trips so that might be an issue.
Lower front arms might be pothole or bad roads. I don’t hear anything from my suspension at this mileage. I think it’s a great car for the money and if you need 3 row SUV. If you don’t have 4-5 children, go with a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. My family in AUS loves them and they could drive Mercedes-Benz or BMW but for those roads and climate Toyota is the best.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are not too familiar with the diesel version as they don’t sell it in the US/Canada. The brake rotors are problematic but because they get warped. I’m on my 3rd set under warranty and next week going for the 4th because it vibrates again just after 14000km. I changed my own rear pads. My rotors never had “shoulders”/edge so the only reason to replace was warped rotors. My front pads are still on 50% with 68000km. Seat belt was a recall and my middle one in the second row has some issues so they’ll replace it. The diesel doesn’t like the short city trips so that might be an issue.
Lower front arms might be pothole or bad roads. I don’t hear anything from my suspension at this mileage. I think it’s a great car for the money and if you need 3 row SUV. If you don’t have 4-5 children, go with a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. My family in AUS loves them and they could drive Mercedes-Benz or BMW but for those roads and climate Toyota is the best.
Thanks for your reply. I think I have gone through 3rd set of pads now.
When I bought it, I had test drive both D5 and T6, and prefer D5 around town. Seems to have better response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts