SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have a 2010 XC90 (7 seater) with the basic sound system (Hi-Performance I think). The system with the door speakers and smaller speakers in the rear cargo pillars. For the past few weeks I been wondering how I could improve the current sound system with a bit more bass. I'm not interested in having a lot of base that drowns out the factory mids and high, but rather more like what the factory subwoofer puts out. In other words, something to compliment the existing system.

Also, given that we regular use the XC90 to haul a lot of people and pets, I don't have the option of having a large subwoofer enclosure laying in the cargo area. Plus, wifey would not like it.

I also don't want to spend over $1000 to install the factory subwoofer, wiring (and programing). Just not worth it in my opinion. Also, I don't feel like tearing up the interior to install it, as I intend this to be a DIY project.

So I was thinking about utilizing the space underneath the rear cargo lid where the battery is. It's not big, but I think it may be just enough.

I was thinking about installing one (1) 8" free-air (or shallow) subwoofers to the bottom part of the left right side of the rear cargo lid. The bottom part of the cargo lid is made of hard plastic, so it's plenty strong. Also, when the straps and eyelets are connected, the cargo lid is pretty secure.

As for the amp, it would have to be small, and installed to the left of the battery.

I would also need a line output converter to tap the rear cargo speakers, so that I can feed the amp with RCA's?

As for the power wire for the amp, I'm sure that there is a 12v switched source in the fuse panel located in the rear. I think it would be easily enough to tap into a source there.

Also, to releave some of the stress on the factory door speakers, i was thinking about installing bass blockers on them.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether this is at all possible?

Also, I'd love to see some pics about some non-factory stealth installs. After searching the site, I haven't been able to find any.

Lefty

1 - 1 of 1 Posts