SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Love this xc90 2006 (late reg).
Want to maintain as family car for the next 5+ years.

I Want to use the sat nav screen to display the rear view camera since the sat nav is now useless.
If I could upgrade the screen to some modern touch screen that would be even better!

Any help on the best solution please??

I have removed the Dynaudio speaker panel and screen, found the strange input connection and got stuck here.....

Attachments

Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
As far as I know, there is no way to utilize the original RTI screen with an aftermarket backup camera. I also don't think that Volvo sells their OEM backup camera kit now, either for our P2 XC90s.

As a result, your best bet is to put in a traditional Double-DIN head unit in place of your factory ICM (Infotainment Control Module, or what you and I know as the "radio") or go with a solution such as this. Not only do these modernize your car, but also can add Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, Bluetooth audio, GPS navigation (if you get a Double-DIN receiver with GPS built-in, these are generally a little more pricey), and also have universal plugs for aftermarket backup cameras to be connected to them.

There are some solutions to putting a screen in place of the RTI display and Dynaudio speaker, both of which you've already removed. Here's an example of one. However, I haven't seen anyone report anything good coming from these units. This one may look tempting, but it's not worth it as far as I can tell.

I've heard consistently good things from those who go the traditional Double-DIN unit route as well as the LEGEND AUDIO FB group route (both are linked above). As a Double-DIN user myself, I can confidently say that I think it's the "best" solution, however, the LEGEND AUDIO unit definitely is up there next to it. If you go the traditional route, make sure you invest in a higher quality, better service Double-DIN receiver like Pioneer, Sony, JVC, Alpine, Kenwood, etc., and stay away from Amazon/eBay units that come with a lesser price tag (of course, this is your prerogative, but this is just my two cents).

EDIT: @Thommykent posted a much simpler solution below, which I didn't even know existed! There you go!

Registered
For $150 if all you want is a backup cam. Swede Solutions has a kit with a cam that will make your RTI screen work as your backup cam screen. They also have other options available.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, both of you!

鈧165 camera does not seem the right option for me since I have a camera installed already, just want to display it somewhere less bulky than over the mirror.
Plus, I believe that my sat nav unit (2006) does not have DVD, so not compatible.

Will look into some double dins, however, that wire mayhem looks worrying to me!

The modern android screen does look tempting! (If it all works).

Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
Honestly, I was scared of the wiring before, too, but it's really really simple. Red to red, black to black, green to green, purple to purple, etc. etc. InCarTec makes everything really simple and easy to follow in terms of instructions, and it's a holistic kit with everything you'll need. I'm not sure how the Legend Audio unit installation is as I've never done it.

Registered
As far as I know, there is no way to utilize the original RTI screen with an aftermarket backup camera. I also don't think that Volvo sells their OEM backup camera kit now, either for our P2 XC90s.

As a result, your best bet is to put in a traditional Double-DIN head unit in place of your factory ICM (Infotainment Control Module, or what you and I know as the "radio") or go with a solution such as this. Not only do these modernize your car, but also can add Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, Bluetooth audio, GPS navigation (if you get a Double-DIN receiver with GPS built-in, these are generally a little more pricey), and also have universal plugs for aftermarket backup cameras to be connected to them.

There are some solutions to putting a screen in place of the RTI display and Dynaudio speaker, both of which you've already removed. Here's an example of one. However, I haven't seen anyone report anything good coming from these units. This one may look tempting, but it's not worth it as far as I can tell.

I've heard consistently good things from those who go the traditional Double-DIN unit route as well as the LEGEND AUDIO FB group route (both are linked above). As a Double-DIN user myself, I can confidently say that I think it's the "best" solution, however, the LEGEND AUDIO unit definitely is up there next to it. If you go the traditional route, make sure you invest in a higher quality, better service Double-DIN receiver like Pioneer, Sony, JVC, Alpine, Kenwood, etc., and stay away from Amazon/eBay units that come with a lesser price tag (of course, this is your prerogative, but this is just my two cents).

EDIT: @Thommykent posted a much simpler solution below, which I didn't even know existed! There you go!
I'm curious as to why you think that the double din setup is the best, with the Legend being "second" to it.

Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
I'm curious as to why you think that the double din setup is the best, with the Legend being "second" to it.
I mean, read the response you quoted, there are plenty of reasons in there. And maybe my wording is off, but I meant "As a Double-DIN user myself, I can confidently say that I think it's the "best" solution, however, the LEGEND AUDIO unit definitely is up there next to it.", meaning that it's at par with Double-DIN solution IMHO.

Hope it helps.

Registered
You can use the existing screen with any PAL or NTSC or RGBS input, but you need to control it with serial data. There are Arduino projects out there that do this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
For $150 if all you want is a backup cam. Swede Solutions has a kit with a cam that will make your RTI screen work as your backup cam screen. They also have other options available.
OK, don't want to hijack the OP's thread but this is a revelation to me. It's not 100% clear to me that the system will work with my XC-90 because of this note:
Note. This only works with the 16:9 RTI screen (DVD)! Unfortunately for the 4:3 screen(CD) we don鈥檛 have an option.
How can I determine which screen I have? My '08 has the factory navigation system that works via a DVD, so it seems like the 16:9 is in place.

Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
OK, don't want to hijack the OP's thread but this is a revelation to me. It's not 100% clear to me that the system will work with my XC-90 because of this note:

How can I determine which screen I have? My '08 has the factory navigation system that works via a DVD, so it seems like the 16:9 is in place.
Good point. I didn't notice that note. Does anyone know how to differentiate between 4:3 and 16:9 navigation systems?

Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
So I removed the disc drive of the sat nav to get the part number and I'm still none the wiser :D

Part number 30752406
It looks like it's the DVD unit. That would mean the 16:9 navigation screen, I think? Any experts want to chime in?

Registered
Uhm, just look at the screen ratio? 4:3 vs 16:9 should be fairly obvious. I don't think any XC90s came with the 4:3 CD version though. Maybe on earlier V70 or S60 P2 models?

Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
Isn't the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 a little harder to tell the difference between, especially on something as small as a navigation screen from the early-mid 2000s? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

From this diagram, even I can't tell what screen my XC90 has...

Registered
4:3 is almost square whereas 16:9 is almost twice as long as it is high.

Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
I sent a note to SwedeSolutions over the weekend on the aspect ratio question. Will post the response when received.

Registered
From Swedesolution website: P2 Lite camera
Note. This only works with the 16:9 RTI screen (DVD)! Unfortunately for the 4:3 screen(CD) we don鈥檛 have a option.
The 4:3 screen is only delivered in the S80, V70 and S60 from the first model years 1998 to 2002.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts