SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
So i have a 2017 fully spec out XC90 T6. I brought in for its second maintenance and the service manager told me after it is done that my right rear pads and rotor needs to be replaced. It is worn down to almost nothing but all the others are still in spec of.
I find that kinda odd, i rarely drive aggressive and all the car i have own either i replace the whole thing or not at all. Never had it occur to me that one of the pads and rotor needs to be replaced. Is this a case of seized calliper that ruined my brakes? I'm confused and don't know if i should just replace the pads and rotor or should i ask them to do a calliper too. or it is normal for the car since it has a million little computer that is keeping the car safe and sound and this is just a side effect.

And on the side note my XC90 have 21s and the wheel shakes on braking. I have this issues since the day i got the car, but the dealer told me it's normal so i didn't really think too much about it. What could cause this issue
Thanks you and have a good day

·
Registered
442 Posts
It’s normal to go through the rear pads faster. There is no wear indicator on the spa so the first indication for me has been metal on metal and replacement discs.

I think I’m on the fourth set next week for our MY2016. It’s parked until I can get it into the Indy on Thursday.

MTA that your dealer is probably incorrect. Your discs are likely warped. It is a common problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
If rear right pad is gone but rear left still has some left, maybe one of them got a stuck piston, or parking brake not retracting well.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Seized caliper is relatively easy to diagnose. I would ask them for their definition of "in spec". When I replaced my rear rotors, one wheel was down to metal while the other probably had 3mm left so it wasn't grinding. I would suspect that your other rear brake pads are very low as well. Not likely a sticking caliper, rear brakes are used for multiple things like ACC and auto-hold.

FWIW, if your car shakes under braking, that is not normal. Not sure why your dealer would tell you it is since there is a bulletin for this as it's a common problem and they will replace under warranty. I had my front rotors replaced at 8K for this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts