SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Last Friday I finally picked up our new XC90, and we practically lived in the car over the weekend, taking it on an "inaugural" weekend trip from Geneva to the Alsace region in France. A blissful 48 hours turned into frustration and anxiety as we returned home on Sunday evening.:mad:

Upon locking the car, I noticed that the digital instruments panel (driver's display) stayed on. No matter how I locked the car, or how many times, it just stayed illuminated. This morning it was still illuminated, and I got a car warning message indicating that the battery level was low.

Took the car to the dealer over lunch time, and they first tried to reset the electrnocis system a few times, to no avail. Display stayed on and on. On top of that, and which sounds a lot worse, the gear stick of the automatic transmission could be moved freely back and forth without having to push in the level on the stick knob. I did realize that, as I automatically pushed in the lever all the time.

Mechanics at the dealer told me this was the first time they were confronted with these issues and had to contact Volvo propoer to get advice and guidance. Was sent home in a less than stellar V40 and told to wait for their call with more info.

Does any of this sound familiar to any of you early adopters out there? I absolutely love our car, but to end up back in the garage 48 hours after pick up is painful!

Thanks in advance for any info you good people may have!

·
Registered
32 Posts
See my posts about the issues I am having. Mine is at the shop as well for a message that states "Emergency Parking Break needs service" but ultimately the dash and everything stays on but the car wont start. So kind of similar to you. This will eventually kill your battery. The only thing I can do is remove the negative battery cable (from your primary battery that is located in the trunk on the left side) wait a couple of mins and then reconnect. This should power down your vehicle and then let it reboot. Did you try that?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Both of those issues sound different but similar to issues I have reported previously:

1) On the display staying on and draining the battery, I have not seen that but had two related issues with the radio: a) Any time you shut the engine off, open the door (which causes) the radio to go off, then open the door again it will turn the display and radio on and at that point the only way to get it off is to lock the car from the outside. The radio stays on indefinitely to the point of draining the battery and there is no way to turn it off within the car and no battery -saver failsafe that turns it off after a period of time. The display did eventually shut off though.; b) More recently, the car radio has started turning itself on while the car is not in use and properly locked.

2) I haven't tried moving the gear selector without pushing the button but will test this now. I have had an issue, just once fortunately, where the car suddenly died while in motion and even though I was in D it started freely drifting like it was in neutral unless I pushed the brake. At that point every gear acted like neutral -- D, R, manual and even P. I was able to restart the car and one I did the gears resumed their expected behavior.

Good luck with your issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Both of those issues sound different but similar to issues I have reported previously:

1) On the display staying on and draining the battery, I have not seen that but had two related issues with the radio: a) Any time you shut the engine off, open the door (which causes) the radio to go off, then open the door again it will turn the display and radio on and at that point the only way to get it off is to lock the car from the outside. The radio stays on indefinitely to the point of draining the battery and there is no way to turn it off within the car and no battery -saver failsafe that turns it off after a period of time. The display did eventually shut off though.; b) More recently, the car radio has started turning itself on while the car is not in use and properly locked.

2) I haven't tried moving the gear selector without pushing the button but will test this now. I have had an issue, just once fortunately, where the car suddenly died while in motion and even though I was in D it started freely drifting like it was in neutral unless I pushed the brake. At that point every gear acted like neutral -- D, R, manual and even P. I was able to restart the car and one I did the gears resumed their expected behavior.

Good luck with your issue.
Yeah, we have seen some sporadic behavior with point 1. My wife and I just always lock the vehicle and that seems to work for us. For point 2, that has never happened to us and personally sounds pretty scary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All fixed!

Hi all,

Problem solved! Apparently, something in the gearbox was broken and this caused all the trouble. It resulted in the car not recognizing the Park position and not being able to turn of the electronics. All well now and drives .... And locks ... Like a dream again:)

One other question for you experts out there: the Sensus system refuses to connect my iPod via the USB port, stating that "this device is not supported". I use Apple brand USB to Lightning cables, but no success. Everything works flawlessly via Bluetooth, but I want my iPhone connected via BT, and my iPod via USB.

Any thoughts?

Other than that extremely pleased with our model configuration: D5 AWD, Amber Black, charcoal leather, black headlining, and walnut trim. Love the serenity this brings to the interior!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts