SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are all XC90 A/C compressors the same?

I have a 2007 XC90 3.2 that has been fairly reliable, but the A/C has been disappointing. At about 40k miles, the A/C started taking forever to cool and would never get cool enough. The dealership replaced the compressor under warranty and all was well. The car is at 85k now, and it is starting to do the same thing. Indy shop says it needs another compressor and noted that this is a common problem with the XC90 3.2 due to the type of compressor Volvo used in this car.

We love the car and don't really want anything else, but we need a robust A/C here in central Texas. Does anyone know if *all* XC90 3.2s have the same A/C compressor? What about the V8s?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Matt

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2007 XC90 V8 that I bought from the Dallas area, and the a/c blows ice cold here in So Cal.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The compressor on the V8 and 3.2 is--from what I can tell--the same. It's a variable displacement compressor, so it runs all that time, rather than cycling on and off as other compressors often do. Perhaps this accelerates wear? I agree that the system on these Volvos is not as effective or reliable as it ought to be, but perhaps that's not a huge priority in Scandinavia!

It might be the case that your whole compressor doesn't need to be replaced. Read this thread for some info:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230916-AC-doesn-t-work-when-first-started

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info. Thanks everyone. Do all 3.2-based Volvos use this compressor, like the XC60? My '07 S60's A/C has been noticeably stronger than the XC90.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The a/c on our 2002 V70 XC blows just as cold. Car has 175,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts