SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on the best way to transport 4 bicycles on the back of an XC90 ?<p>Do I need to get a tow bar fitted ?<p>Never used a tow bar or bike rack before.<p>Advice appreciated.<p>Gurj

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: XC90 4 Bike Carrier ? (Gurj)

We have the factory installed towing package, and just ordered the Thule 998XT (swing-away 4-bike carrier for 2" receivers) from EMS during their 20% off sale. We'll let you know how it works once it comes in.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I installed a Hidden Hitch towbar primarily to use my old Rhodes hitch bike carrier from my previous SUV.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: XC90 4 Bike Carrier ? (joe19812)

I too used the Hidden Hitch but went with this bike rack:<p><A HREF="http://www.seasonaloutfitters.com/product/NEWDX2/index.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.seasonaloutfitters....x.htm</A><p>Works great!

·
Registered
172 Posts

I installed the Hidden Hitch, see the post on that. It is an active post about 5 pages long at this point. Since I only use the this to transport bikes I didn't put in the wiring harness. I just read a few of the latest posts in that thread and it really shouldn't take you more than an hour and a half at tops. Also order the bike rack from an independent. Right now I can't remember what site I bought mine through but what ever you do don't by it from Volvo. The Volvo rack is actually manufactured by Thule for Volvo and Volvo just adds in their mark up. Again I cant remember what the model Thule rack I have but it handles 4 bikes and can be tilted down and the rack folds down if you don't have any bikes on it. Good Luck. <br>

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: XC90 4 Bike Carrier ? (Clarkbar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Clarkbar</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We have the factory installed towing package, and just ordered the Thule 998XT (swing-away 4-bike carrier for 2" receivers) from EMS during their 20% off sale. We'll let you know how it works once it comes in.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>We rec'd our Thule 998XT today, and it is SWEET! Plugs right into the Volvo factory hitch, has two matching locks (one for the hitch and one for the bikes), and is very tight and very stable.<p>This is the 4-bike/swing-away version as I previously indicated. We'll wring it out this weekend as we drive down into the Alps on Friday (for a couple of days in Garmisch) and then when we cross into Italy on Sunday bound for the Cinque Terre.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts