SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to start my 2008 xc90 3.2 this a.m. made loud squealing noise under hood? Opened hood smelled burnt plastic then found some of the burnt black plastic below the lowest pulley. I think its the tension idler pulley. Belt looks OK but I have no clue how to get to that pulley? Do I remove or move the a/c compressor and power steering pump to get to this pulley?

·
Registered
123 Posts
This just happened to me and I took it in to the mechanic. He had to remove the AC compressor and PS pump to get to it. My idler pulley was burnt about halfway through since the bearing froze up. Needed a new idler pulley and belt.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
At what mileage did these failures occur. I want to be ahead of it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine happened just short of 80k. I think it has to do with Chicago being a frozen wasteland right now more than anything else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced the idler pulley and went ahead and replaced the water pump and belt while I had it apart. It is not really hard to do but it is a big enough pain that I didn't want to do it twice. mine went bad at 100k.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hmmmm.
At 60k miles, I think I will do the replacements. (If we still own it then.) Best to choose a weekend, rather than while on the road!
Thanks for info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts