SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will purchase leased 2016 XC70 but see Buick Tourx selling new $10,000 off msrp with 0% 72 months and 70,000 mile power train warranty - what do you think about Tourx?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I REALLY like them.
I can buy (wholesale) a top of the line ESSENCE with between no miles and 5000 miles for about $24-25K.
This is a $42K MSRP car so even if it sells for $32K, that's still 7 to 8K LESS for what is essentially a new, used car.

No one knows about them so no one is buying them and they're far more than 50% of an V70 CC PLUS....they actually have some KNOBS for volume and HVAC controls, incl. the exposed heated seats and steering wheel buttons! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's a car I 'wanted to like,' I had good first impressions towards it. Great size/spacious. Good looks, relatively upscale enough for what it is. And knowing that they'd depreciate quickly by year 2-3, it could have been a contender.
But despite that plastic cladding /"rugged styling", it's really just a wagon. Cars like the Subaru Outback and Volvo XC70 (now V90 CC) give you the large wagon form factor with the ground clearance of an SUV, at ~8.7 inches. But the Buick TourX...5.8 inches like any regular sedan. So if you're actually planning on using it in the snow or on some dirt roads where that ground clearance comes in handy, then the TourX is a bad choice /wouldn't serve the purpose. There's a reason why a car like the Honda Crosstour didn't do well then got discontinued.
Though it's an overall nice interior, it seems they cheaped out on the gauge cluster for being a $38K car in the year 2019. The one they use in the Buick LaCrosse is what it should have been. Instead they use something that looks to be from a decade ago.
Also, for $38K, you can get a loaded new Subaru Outback with the renown Symmetrical AWD, and just overall a bit nicer/better quality.
GM was onto something but the final product is lackluster and unfortunately won't do well.
Hands down for safety, utility, luxury, comfort etc, the Volvo XC70 wins.
I like how it looks, I just wish it brought more to the table that would really make one want to consider it over the competition, specifically the Subaru Outback.

·
Registered
186 Posts
GM Australia (Holden) are marketing them as the replacement for the previous Australian built VF Commodore wagon, they are built by Opel in Europe and as such previous Opel products marketed in Australia have 1/ not held any resale value, 2/ been terribly unreliable electrically. GM have stopped Australian production of cars primarily due to the uptake or swing in the market towards SUV's smaller 4x4 pickups, people are not willing to swap from the traditional rear wheel drive format to the Opel's front wheel drive / all wheel drive format, as such sales are quite poor. Holden did market an all wheel drive wagon previously, called an 'adventurer' it had a similar look to the XC70, but with a north/south positioned engine.

·
Registered
2016 XC70 T5 AWD 58K; 1993 244SE Classic 172K; 1997 S90 252K (sold)
18 Posts
I stopped by a Buick dealer to check out a TourX. Did not test drive it - only wanted to see what the seat felt like. Too low to the ground for my back issues. Driver's seat very nice and roomy once situated. Although the low roof line is apparent. Rear seat was very, very roomy and more so compared to the front. Again, I was put off by having to raise myself up by the handle grips in order to exit the car. Door was long but opening was wide. Why test drive it if I don't like the lowering/raising motion to get in and out... Yes - I really, really wanted to like it. But will pass. Who knows how well the engine will be cared for in the future since the car will be discontinued soon enough, like the 2014 Chevy SS (Australian). I would have loved it if GM had imported a Commodore Station Wagon, with a slight increase in ground clearance.

Subaru Outback beats both an XC70 and Tourx in the entry/exit criterion. But the XC70 is a lot better in the front than the rear.

·
Registered
186 Posts
GM Australia used to build a Commodore wagon in AWD and higher ground clearance it was called the 'Commodore Adventra' when looking at it, you can really see the XC70 influence! 2007_holden_adventra_Used_1.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
I owned several Buick wagons before moving to Volvo, both new & used. They became less & less reliable, and here in Ohio, seemed to rust fairly fast. When I traded my 98 V70XC in ‘14, it showed no rust and the engine was strong. I looked at a few used Outbacks, nice cars but seemed worn-out at an early age. My 08 XC70 still looks & runs like new. Also, I agree with the dislike of the low seating in the TourX. No more Buick’s for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts