SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive used this forum many times to diagnose past issues usually successfully however I'd like to ask for some advice in regards to an incident I had just recently while driving on the highway.
Car: 2006 XC70 approx 140k miles

FIRST SIGN OF TROUBLE:
I was driving to work in the morning as one does, there is an onramp which I take every day. The onramp is a tight right hand loop, upon exiting this loop I heard a slight clickety-clacking noise (sounded almost as if something was dragging and bouncing as i drove) I didn't think much of it as it wasn't very loud or particularly menacing. I did keep my eyes on the dash after that, the next symptom I felt was immediate sluggishness, the car was very slow to accelerate and I immediately thought "The turbo just went on me.". As soon as that thought crossed my mind the "LOW OIL PRESSURE" Hazard started flickering at that point I knew I had to cut the engine AS QUICKLY as I could. It flickered for about 10 seconds then lit continuously at that point i was exiting the highway and on the offramp. I put it in neutral and cut the engine coasting to a stop on the shoulder.

I got it towed home and dropped the pan with my fingers crossed, unfortunately that didn't help. Here are some photos of the bottom of the pan after draining the oil. What I want to know is if the golden flecks are from the bottom end bearings or are the gold flecks a signature of the turbo bearings? Or am I just being stubborn hoping that the engine isn't ruined? It looks like a mess :-/

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
That is rod bearing.

Time for a new engine.

·
Registered
807 Posts
What I want to know is if the golden flecks are from the bottom end bearings or are the gold flecks a signature of the turbo bearings?
As mentioned - those are not turbo bearings - take a rod cap off and see how bad the crank is damaged - It might be possible to replace the rod bearings and have a engine run again. But I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Was it low on oil? Or the oil sump O-rings got dry over time and cracked?

Anyways, safe bet would be getting a replacement engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, I cut my losses and found another XC70 (I do love these cars!). On the upside I've got a roller FULL of GOOD PARTS. As a DIY guy I couldn't be happier knowing I can swap parts out when I do come across any more issues in the future. Thanks for all of your input. When it rains it pours, though things get better. That's life i guess.....

Hope all of you are well!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Those engines have a known problem with the o-ring seal for the oil pick-up tube shrinking and causing the pump to draw in air. Think of it like trying to get a drink of pop using a straw with a crack in it.
Chances are the problem was there and was causing the bearing failure long before you ever got any warning messages.
The takeaway is you might want to pull the pan on the new car to replace that o-ring and the others that seal the pan to the engine to avoid a repeat disaster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those engines have a known problem with the o-ring seal for the oil pick-up tube shrinking and causing the pump to draw in air. Think of it like trying to get a drink of pop using a straw with a crack in it.
Chances are the problem was there and was causing the bearing failure long before you ever got any warning messages.
The takeaway is you might want to pull the pan on the new car to replace that o-ring and the others that seal the pan to the engine to avoid a repeat disaster.

Hey Vista!
Man long time no talk eh! ha! Thanks for the kind words and the words of wisdom! The ironic thing here is when I bought that car 5 years ago upon DRIVING IT HOME WHILE ON THE GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE that very O-ring quit on me. I cut the engine off after the dash lit up, put it in neutral. I did have good instincts at least! Long story short I got it off I-95 safely, got it home and fixed that o-ring.
I got 5 years out of it after that scenario, which in my mind (now that I actually think about it) is nothing short of amazing! talking 60k+ miles and like you say I'm sure the lower end bearing journals were being eaten up during that 5 year period. Its a testament to the car lasting as long as it did before total lower bearing failure.

Going to order the $2.70 cent friggen O-ring! Lesson learned. Also think I'll grab a new pickup oil tube and I believe there was another O-ring on the other end of the plastic oil pickup tube if I'm not mistaken? Its been...(take-a-guess how many) years since I've done it! 😆

·
Registered
596 Posts
That engine is toast. You wouldn't see that kind of damage if a turbo failed. I had a car with a turbo that had an impeller shaft snapped in half and it was dumping oil down the exhaust.

My list of parts that should be replaced after purchase of any used P2: oil sump o-rings, PCV, turbo rebuild, motor mounts, cam seals, timing belt, vacuum hoses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts