SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive used this forum many times to diagnose past issues usually successfully however I'd like to ask for some advice in regards to an incident I had just recently while driving on the highway.
Car: 2006 XC70 approx 140k miles

FIRST SIGN OF TROUBLE:
I was driving to work in the morning as one does, there is an onramp which I take every day. The onramp is a tight right hand loop, upon exiting this loop I heard a slight clickety-clacking noise (sounded almost as if something was dragging and bouncing as i drove) I didn't think much of it as it wasn't very loud or particularly menacing. I did keep my eyes on the dash after that, the next symptom I felt was immediate sluggishness, the car was very slow to accelerate and I immediately thought "The turbo just went on me.". As soon as that thought crossed my mind the "LOW OIL PRESSURE" Hazard started flickering at that point I knew I had to cut the engine AS QUICKLY as I could. It flickered for about 10 seconds then lit continuously at that point i was exiting the highway and on the offramp. I put it in neutral and cut the engine coasting to a stop on the shoulder.

I got it towed home and dropped the pan with my fingers crossed, unfortunately that didn't help. Here are some photos of the bottom of the pan after draining the oil. What I want to know is if the golden flecks are from the bottom end bearings or are the gold flecks a signature of the turbo bearings? Or am I just being stubborn hoping that the engine isn't ruined? It looks like a mess :-/

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
That is rod bearing.

Time for a new engine.

Reactions: stomish

·
Registered
684 Posts
What I want to know is if the golden flecks are from the bottom end bearings or are the gold flecks a signature of the turbo bearings?
As mentioned - those are not turbo bearings - take a rod cap off and see how bad the crank is damaged - It might be possible to replace the rod bearings and have a engine run again. But I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Was it low on oil? Or the oil sump O-rings got dry over time and cracked?

Anyways, safe bet would be getting a replacement engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts