SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live up here in Anchorage Alaska, and in years past, driving in the winter was not that bad. Just make sure you have a good running car and a set of dedicated winter tires and your all good. Bonus points for 4 wheel drive cars like my S60R. Well....with all this down turned economy crap going on, the road maintinece budget has been slashed. The result is bumpy ice and potholes some smaller cars could fall into and get lost. You almost need a trophy truck to get across town! Last year, I bent 2 wheels, destroyed two expensive 4C struts and took out a ball joint. In 2 weeks!
This got me thinking.... The lower control arms for an XC70 are the same as all the P2 chassis cars. So will the struts and springs work in my R? This would raise my ride height and soften my suspension and save me from having to pay $550 per front strut. Anyone out there have experience with this or maybe anyone have a set of V70XC springs sitting around?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Congratulations, you will be the first to add a lift kit to an s60r.

In all seriousness though, there is only SO MUCH that the car can be raised without modified control arms. Good example of this is remove your strut and take a prybar to the control arm and watch how freely it DOES NOT bend.

Good research though and for a true purpose I say the ball is in your park in actually having a reason for such nonsense. That or buy a F'ing pickup ;).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want an 8 MPG truck. And its not a lift kit. The V70 cross country has more ride height from the factory. Think about a rally prepped off road S60R....that would be awesome. Chunky winter studded tires on 17 inch (regular)s60 wheels with mud flaps. Maybe throw in a skid plate and a removable fog light mount to the front.

Also...The car will go back to its 4C suspension set up for the summer.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I don't want an 8 MPG truck. And its not a lift kit. The V70 cross country has more ride height from the factory. Think about a rally prepped off road S60R....that would be awesome. Chunky winter studded tires on 17 inch (regular)s60 wheels with mud flaps. Maybe throw in a skid plate and a removable fog light mount to the front.

Also...The car will go back to its 4C suspension set up for the summer.
Get winter tires that are 245/45/17 instead of 235/45/17, you'll have a little more sidewall to absorb bumps and that might make all the difference.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I live up here in Anchorage Alaska, and in years past, driving in the winter was not that bad. Just make sure you have a good running car and a set of dedicated winter tires and your all good. Bonus points for 4 wheel drive cars like my S60R. Well....with all this down turned economy crap going on, the road maintinece budget has been slashed. The result is bumpy ice and potholes some smaller cars could fall into and get lost. You almost need a trophy truck to get across town! Last year, I bent 2 wheels, destroyed two expensive 4C struts and took out a ball joint. In 2 weeks!
This got me thinking.... The lower control arms for an XC70 are the same as all the P2 chassis cars. So will the struts and springs work in my R? This would raise my ride height and soften my suspension and save me from having to pay $550 per front strut. Anyone out there have experience with this or maybe anyone have a set of V70XC springs sitting around?
Find and install a set of springs from an EARLY ('02 or '03) S60 AWD from a recycler and install them with new heavy-duty spring seats from IPD. If your shocks are OK, reuse them and leave them in comfort setting. You may also need to get camber adjusting bushings for the rear wheels. Also get a set of 17" PEGs or replicas (to clear the brakes) and maybe a slightly higher sidewall profile on your winter tires.

My '02 AWD (with original suspension) has significantly better clearance and crappy-road-handling capability than my '07 VR (that and the turning circle are my only complaints.)

Of course, you can't post any any side pictures of your modified R on this forum without risk of ridicule from the lowered-suspension crowd (but just ask them about their issues with turning circle, pot-holes and curbs!)

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
The XC front arms are longer than standard S/V arms. You would have to do a "4C delete" and you could throw in XC shocks/struts/springs. For all of the effort/labor you'll be going through, I'd just pick up an XC70 and get it in good running order. You can always throw on "R" bits if you MUST have the brakes/interior/etc...

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
The XC front arms are longer than standard S/V arms. You would have to do a "4C delete" and you could throw in XC shocks/struts/springs. For all of the effort/labor you'll be going through, I'd just pick up an XC70 and get it in good running order. You can always throw on "R" bits if you MUST have the brakes/interior/etc...
Or just pick up a 2011+ XC70 T6 and you've already got your 300HP. Or 325HP with Polestar. :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Or just pick up a 2011+ XC70 T6 and you've already got your 300HP. Or 325HP with Polestar. :)
+1: much better integrated solution than trying to turn your R into something it definitely is not.

Or, if you prefer a sedan, find a decent early S60 AWD as your winter 'beater'.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What did you end up doing? Im considering the same mod for added ground clearance, but I havent seen the question answered anywhere else. Will XC struts and springs fit my R?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey, anyone ever look into this further? I'm looking into the feasibility of putting XC70 struts on my 06 V70R and deleting the 4c via resistor mod. I feel like I'm scraping on everything in Seattle.

*might add that I'm originally from Fairbanks, AK. Anchorage roads are blue square rated, gotta come north for the black diamonds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts