SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to Swedespeed, and wanted to ask a question about safety. I'm currently considering a Volvo XC70 or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Does anyone have any ideas about these two vehicles compared to each other in terms of safety. I realize the XC70 is a Volvo and has many safety features, but I've been told that SUV's are generally safer (because of size), and the Jeep is much larger.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: XC70 safety opinion (j421)

Quote, originally posted by j421 »
Hello,
I'm new to Swedespeed, and wanted to ask a question about safety. I'm currently considering a Volvo XC70 or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Does anyone have any ideas about these two vehicles compared to each other in terms of safety. I realize the XC70 is a Volvo and has many safety features, but I've been told that SUV's are generally safer (because of size), and the Jeep is much larger.

Thanks

Having owned a Grand Cherokee (abelit a 99) and now owning a V70R, I cannot fathom how a GC could possibly be the equal in crash performance. At least, not severe crashes. I couldn't imagine how the airbag performance on a Jeep would be similar, plus the seats in that thing are total POS's. I mean, I think if I had gotten in a severe accident, the seat would have twisted like a pretzel. And probably snapped my head off. The positioning of the headrest was awful.

I do not have any impirical data, but that is my gut.

As far as being bigger, sure if you hit a smaller car the physics will win. But the V70 isn't a lightweight.

Also, the Jeep has a higher center of gravity. Not good in terms of accident avoidance and certainly more prone to rollover. Not that it's an unstable car, but physics are physics.

Having said that, my 99 Laredo had a good bumper - I once rear ended a car going about 10-15 mph and I barely had a scratch. The car I hit was about 1/2 a foot shorter.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Re: XC70 safety opinion (j421)

j421...........

ALthough the Jeep is "somewhat" safer than it was 8-10 years ago......It is still well below the stds. that Volvo has set for the industry.
There are numerous websites devoted to auto safety....some are very credible and some are complete BS.
Here is a link to a thread here on Swedespeed that will give you some additional info http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=56036 ...or you can google "auto safety".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts