SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a rumor that the Volvo XC70 replacement is coming next year, and that the S90 is being pushed to calendar year 2017, as a 2018 MY car. S80 will not have a 2017 MY. Reason being the full size car market in USA is so far in the dumper, Volvo feels they can sell more XC's than S90s.

Discuss.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The XC70 replacement will be the V90 Cross Country. Currently, S90 prototypes are being tested and its debut in January 2016 has been confirmed by Volvo. Hakan Samuelsson, CEO of Volvo, did also confirm in an interview that the V90 will debut in 2016 as well. He didn't say anything about the V90 Cross Country. Either way, I doubt that the S90 would be presented before the V90 but go on sale one year later.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just a rumor. S90/V90 production starts and will arrive in the US 6 months before V90 Cross Country.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I hope they don't have to test prototypes for each variation model. It is supposed to be same powertrain, firmware, and Sensus, just different roof, rear panels, trunk, rear lights, styling kits, and struts.
Carmakers always use dozens of prototypes for each model. The rear seats will be quite different and the V90CC will likely have air suspension as standard. The S90L will also vary in important ways. Likewise RHD vs LHD.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Also, the V60 Cross Country was tested as a prototype. Cross Country models don't only have different styling kits. The chassis are also different, so they need to be tested.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I hope they don't have to test prototypes for each variation model. It is supposed to be same powertrain, firmware, and Sensus, just different roof, rear panels, trunk, rear lights, styling kits, and struts.
Eventhough it seems to be that simple it is not; even ESP systems are developed for each model AND engine seperately, and it takes about 2 years to develop for each AFAIK!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Eventhough it seems to be that simple it is not; even ESP systems are developed for each model AND engine seperately, and it takes about 2 years to develop for each AFAIK!
Exactly. Every model (whether it shares components with an existing model) is different in its own way; plus, there are always updates to software, powerplants, active/passive safety systems, etc.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Exactly. Every model (whether it shares components with an existing model) is different in its own way; plus, there are always updates to software, powerplants, active/passive safety systems, etc.
I won't complain if V90 is very much same thing internal as S90 just except for the rear body. It helps to deliver V90 sooner. The trunk size is enough reason for me to choose V90.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It seems the rear seats of the S90 will not fold down, a pity since that would give the S90 T8 a USP compared to other hybrids. But the sedan will still have a bigger trunk than other hybrids.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It seems the rear seats of the S90 will not fold down, a pity since that would give the S90 T8 a USP compared to other hybrids. But the sedan will still have a bigger trunk than other hybrids.
I have not seen a Volvo without a rear folding seat. The only reason they wouldn't fold down is if there is a cross bar in the back for stability.. think Sport Camry.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Several of the photographs of the disguised S90 show the top part of the rear central seatbelt emerging from what seems to be a fixed rear shelf rather than from the top of the seatback. That suggests that the rear seatbacks do not fold down. But I hope I'm wrong!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Several of the photographs of the disguised S90 show the top part of the rear central seatbelt emerging from what seems to be a fixed rear shelf rather than from the top of the seatback. That suggests that the rear seatbacks do not fold down. But I hope I'm wrong!
My Gen1 S80 has the rear middle seatbelt coming out of the top shelf and the seats DO fold down? I don't quite understand the issue?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts