SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to diagnose a squeaking rear suspension on our 2004 XC70. It squeaks on compression, can replicate
by for example hitting a bump or jumping up and down on the rear bumper. Also has more axle hop then I remebered.

Jacked the car up, took the wheel off and checked that none of the wheel bearing bolts backed out from the r&r I did last year.

Could not replicate the noise by jacking up the rear suspension and then releasing quickly.

Weird thing is the car stopped squeaking for several miles until it hit a large bump. No oil leaaking from the shock.

~180 K miles, about 30 K miles on a then new pair of Volvo OEM rear shocks, can't recall whether I replaced
the upper shock mounts. Has an S60R rear sway bar, end links don't appear to be the culprit.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Do you need other forum members bless to take suspension apart and tell us what was broken? =)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Trying to diagnose a squeaking rear suspension on our 2004 XC70. It squeaks on compression, can replicate
by for example hitting a bump or jumping up and down on the rear bumper. Also has more axle hop then I remebered.

Jacked the car up, took the wheel off and checked that none of the wheel bearing bolts backed out from the r&r I did last year.

Could not replicate the noise by jacking up the rear suspension and then releasing quickly.

Weird thing is the car stopped squeaking for several miles until it hit a large bump. No oil leaaking from the shock.

~180 K miles, about 30 K miles on a then new pair of Volvo OEM rear shocks, can't recall whether I replaced
the upper shock mounts. Has an S60R rear sway bar, end links don't appear to be the culprit.
I'm not sure what sound you're referencing, but it sounds like a ball joint or sway bar endlink. I've had the "squeak" i guess? more like a clunk... over any small bumps even at low speeds. Always the endlinks. Even if they don't appear it, when taking them out the balljoint inside of them is always loose. They wear out faster than 2 pump chump. (~10k - 20k miles.)

My friend's s70 from 1998 had more of a squeak in the front, and it was the top mounts for the shocks/struts (whatever they are up front, I'm no mechanic) suspension failing.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, I've had sway bar endlink issues before, those usually clunk not squeak. Why not just disassemble? It is a lot of work, car is a daily, would rather have parts on hand to fix it. Am concerned that it is the spring seat (over $300 on Tasca) or could the shock mount make such a noise?

May put the car up on ramps for the rear and stands for the front, see if I can get a stethescope in there, squeak is louder in front of the rear wheel rather than the back, and again on compression, almost no noise on rebound..

No obviously orn bushings but some of the arm ends going into the bushings do have corrosion.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Probably unrelated, but I had an annoying squeak come from worn/loose exhaust hangers. The old hangers would allow the exhaust to move around quite a bit allowing the resonator to make contact the heat shield/body.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried moving the exhaust around but couldn't replicate the noise (at first I thought bad hanger = rain squeal, but no fresh scratching on the exhaust or driveshaft). With somone jouncing the suspension I could hear it was coming from the drivvers side suspension.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I tried moving the exhaust around but couldn't replicate the noise (at first I thought bad hanger = rain squeal, but no fresh scratching on the exhaust or driveshaft). With somone jouncing the suspension I could hear it was coming from the drivvers side suspension.
If you think it's the top mounts, get the top mount kit from FCPeuro. lifetime warranty, and for my p2 v70 up front it was about 150 for the entire kit. Well worth it vs what a mechanic charges.

That is, if you can define the problem to that. It could be any number of things in the rear, and I'm not versed in AWD haldex system well...

In any city there's usually quite a few indy diagnosticians with 5 stars on google or yelp that will give you an accurate description of your issue for quite a bit less than what any dealer would charge, as a last resort.. I always do that

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found it - broken spring

Thanks for all the suggestions. Put the back of the car up on ramps and with a helper compressing the suspension and tracked it down to a broken spring on the drivers side. It broke up high, maybe 3 windings from the top, and is rubbing on the frame.

This handy IPD site expalins some of how to decipher the spring codes:
https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/100...-where-can-i-find-it-and-what-does-it-tell-me

For the rear, the 6th and 7th digits, and 8th and 9th digits on the product plate are 16 19 one must be for the left, drivers side, and the other for the passenger side rear.

But which is which?

How much more involved is this compared to a shock swap?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Look in VIDA. Or paste your VIN here.

Actually, just replace them both - the other one will break soon.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
8646865 and 9473371 is what I've got for suspension refresh 3 years ago. I upgraded rear suspension to Nivomats setup a year ago, so 2 y.o. springs/shocks just collect dust in garage.

I also have Kilen 66024 (heavy duty) spare rear springs...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vtl, if you have any interest in parting with the passenger side shock and spring please send me a PM, not that far from Boston

1 - 13 of 13 Posts