SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

We started to have the following problem with my wife's 2016 XC70.

When we activate the powerlift gate (tailgate button or key fob), it will raise all the way to the peak as it normally would, but once the motor is done lifting, it will slowly lower about 3-5 inches below that peak. Normally I could stand under the liftgate no problem, but recently I have to hold it up so I don't hit my head on the latch (my wife obviously has not noticed since she is a bit shorter than I).

What could be causing this? Is it as simple as a low battery, or are the solenoids / motors starting to fail? I appreciate you input!

·
Registered
14,844 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I agree, we had this in our MY13, I replaced the main struct this summer and it's back to being perfect.
Note, with that youtube video from VolvoSweden that CrossingCountries linked, you don't need two.
You only need one for the passengers side, the strut on the drivers side is smaller and a different part number.
I got two, replaced the passengers, then started to move onto the drivers side and went "What the.... ", it's a smaller one that I think is power operated. So put everything back together and it all works great, I now have a spare one for when it goes in 6 years time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts