SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We used the installed Nav system over the weekend. We found that the system got totally confused a few times. For instance, iat the start of the trip from our house, it recommended a route that we know is longer, seemed to be going in the totally wrong direction. At one point, on the highway, it kept telling us to exit when we knew we had to drive 30 more miles before exiting.<p>I've had a portable Garmin for a few years, it rarely does this type of stuff. I checked all the set points, everything looks fine. Anyone else have problems like this?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Re: XC70 Nav system (Surf NH)

Check the setting for shortest vs. fastest route. I think you can also program it to permanently avoid certain roads.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

yep, that was the first thing I checked, it's set up correctly for fastest route....

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

Check to see if you are receiving signals from a good number of satellites. I don't know what the minimum or optimum numbers are, but I remember someone having problems with their nav system because it couldn't place itself accurately in the gps satellite system.<p>Go to setting, system options and select gps info. That will give you the number of satellites your system is receiving. Mine is 8.<p>I suppose it could be that Navteq's maps are inaccurate in your area, but I think Navteq supplies data to all the major handheld and OEM nav systems. If the highway classification (speed limit) data in your area is inaccurate; that would lead to the system selecting a longer (but what it thinks is faster) route.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Re: XC70 Nav system (BarentsBlueV50)

3 satellites is required for the navigation. 4 provide specified accuracy. Anything more than 4 - a redundancy bonus.<p>Your guess about the inaccurate speed limit info is most likely the correct one.<p>Navteq provides data to Garmin, but the quality of maps for Garmin and other OEM could be different.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

The only time I have had my factory nav do this is when "avoid freeways" came up. <p>Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts