SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding is the XC70 was Volvo's answer when they lacked a AWD<br>SUV. Now that they have come out with the XC90 SUV, will the XC70 wagon be phased out in the next couple of years?<br>I am looking a purchasing a 2003 XC70 but am concerned that this series<br>may be discontinued by Volvo in the next year.<p>Any guess on how long the XC70 will be around?<br>Thanks<p>

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Re: XC70 Future (sunpro2003)

Hi,<p>I work in Overseas Delivery Sales at a US Volvo Retailer and have heard nothing at all about the phasing out of the XC70. The addition of the XC90 to the Volvo lineup only enhances the XC70. The XC90 is an SUV (Swedish Utility Vehicle). The XC70 is a SUW (Swedish Utility Wagon). In fact you can look forward to a third size all wheel drive wagon from Volvo when the XC50 arrives. It will be based on the new V50 wagon which will be replacing the current V40 wagon.<p>Buy the XC70. It will be around for awhile. Let me know if you need any more help.<p>Volvo for Life<p>William

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: XC70 Future (William)

Thanks for this info. A quick question-I have a 2001 V70 2.4 ASR wagon with 16,100 miles in mint condition. It was priced at $33,525. It included:<br>Base V70 2.4 ASR($29,400), Metallic/Moondust (400), Automatic(1,000) Cold Weather Package(450), Power sunroof(1,200) and 16" Andrastea Wheels(500), Destination(575). <p>One dealer offered $20K for it-I would like to get 22K-since I know they will resell it for $25-26K with such low mileage.<p>What is a dealer looking for in profit on a trade-in sale?<p>Is 22K reasonable if I then go buy or lease a new 2003 XC70 from them?<p>Thanks<br>

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: XC70 Future (sunpro2003)

On VolvoSpy there was mentioning of some "inside" information that the XC70 is EOL starting MY2004...<p>Didn't see any confirmation yet.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: XC70 Future (Johann)

I don't know that I buy that for several reasons. When you break it down, the XC70 and the V70 2.5T AWD (was 2.4T AWD) differ only by body cladding, suspension settings, wheels, tires, seats and that little handle on the center console. That's it. That means, by manufacturer standards, it's cheap to develop and cheap to make adhere to various market rules and regulations if the V70 AWD is also being prepped for that market.<p>Further, it sells. We'll have to watch the numbers with the XC90 on the market, but in the USA, the XC70 outpaces the V70 by a significant margin. Go into any recent month's news index on this site and look at the sales figures writeup (table at the bottom) and compare. The USA is Volvo's biggest market, so I'd guess the XC70 is going nowhere.<p>Also, we've all heard that the V50 will spawn an XC50. I think the XC70 offers continuity to the brand without having to develope a whole new vehicle and heavily doubt it's going away.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: XC70 Future ([email protected])

A bit offtopic George, but couldn't you just convert a 2.4T AWD into an XC by just swapping parts over? What is the difference between the seats anyways?<p>Tons of XCs around the Boston area. The ground height works out well here in thes now. Doubt the XC is going away anytime soon.<p>RJ

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Re: XC70 Future (B518T)

The difference in the seats between a V70 AWD and an XC70 is the second row of seats and the stiching. The XC79 has a broader stitch pattern in the seams. The second row of seats in a V70 AWD are split 60/40. The second row of seats in the XC70 are split 40/20/40. The advantage to the 40/20/40 split in the XC70 is more versatility for carrying people and or cargo than with the V70 AWD.<p>William

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts

Thanks for the clarifictaion William.<p>RJ

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts

And, somehow, the XC70 is 1/2" wider than the regular V70 when measuring from door to door (width) in the rear. I don't know why but it is!<p>Yannis

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Re: XC70 Future (GrecianVolvo)

Yannis, the width includes the mirrors. As you know, the XC's mirrors are bigger. Basic body is identical.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: XC70 Future (Phil Pugliese)

I was going to guess it was the fender flares, but I think you are correct Phil.<p>Incidentally, I'm just putting the finishing wraps on the Dec sales figure article. The XC70 outsold the V70 again this month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts