SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have checked the Forum but find nothing relevant so ... new Thread.....

Recently started getting a metallic noise from the rear of the car as if a bearing was on its' way out but when driving (and often when changing gear (manual) I get a 'clunk' (as if something has 'engaged' from the rear and the metallic noise disappears.

I do have 4 wheel drive (prop shaft turns when I rotate a rear wheel) and it is not the center bearing of the central drive shaft (this was replaced recently).

Any ideas on what this could be ?? and more importantly how to fix it.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Make sure it is not the suspension bits that are clunking. From your post, it may not be the case. If it is prop shaft, it possible that it may have a worn component inside. Recently there is an article about replacing the prop shaft on the XC but its for P1 if memory serves correct.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
What year?
Different systems the 01-02s are different than 03-07
Check your sway bar bushings and rear sway links

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi JRL .... its definitely not the sway bars or links ..... also definitely not the Prop-shaft center bearing .... noise is coming from the rear 'central' and appears to be coming from the Differential (if that's the right word for the XC70 4x4 system .... the noise is almost as if its a grating noise (doesn't change with speed) and suddenly in will disappear as if a 'gear has been engaged'
What year?
Different systems the 01-02s are different than 03-07
Check your sway bar bushings and rear sway links

·
Registered
151 Posts
Year and mileage would be super helpful on this thread.

Could be your rear drive shaft...I seem to go through a drive shaft every 100k or so and it manifests in way you are describing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the Problem ....

The noise/problem was that the "sems screw" which holds the 'Companion Flange (to to the Prop Shaft) at the end of the Angle Gear housing had become loose and 'rattling around' inside.

Fortunately no damage to the spline shaft exiting from the Angle Gear Housing so just needed to replace the 65mm sealing ring and tighten-up everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to hear it was an easy fix. Had a similar symptom and I found the "cv" boots on the propshaft gone and the axle dry as a bone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts