SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a guide or any kind of instructions on how to disassemble the center console of a 2008+ Volvo? I have searched high and low and cannot find any information on the topic for a Volvo newer than 2004.

My sliding cup holder cover got pretty badly scratched and I need to replace it. However, to do so it seems that I will need to take the whole console apart, or at least to remove the armrest and shift lever sections.

Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
http://accessories.volvocars.com/AccessoriesWeb/Accessories.mvc/en-US/US

There is an Installation section at the above Volvo website (the installaton site is currently not working) that will take you to a list of installation instrucions. While there is nothing labled as "removing the center console", some installs (like the iPOD power and link) will give you enough info on how you can take out the console.

I would think the installation instructions site will be up tomorrow. I do not not know why it is fubared this evening,
oz

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome resource. I got it out and everything taken care of... Created one more question though: Does anyone know how to remove the armrest attached to the console? Mine has a crappy note-tray that is broken and I would love to replace it with a working one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently attempted this, namely, repair of the armrest flip table. The hinges attached to the console storage compartment on the V70 (2001) I recently purchased were snapped off and the previous owner had attempted to Gorilla glue them back to the storage compartment. An abomination to say the least. I still had the lid/table and the armrest that went over that, but needed to dissemble the triple hinge. FYI, there is another variation that includes a cup holder between the two.
I'm not aware that one can get the compartment, lid and armrest (and optional cup holder) as a single assembly, thus as the last two items aren't cheap, I elected to see if I could disassemble the hinge. The following has a general diagram that gives an overview of what's going on, but it greatly understates the details: http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/01xc70-center-console-removal.pdf .

1. You got to get the caps off. They're attached to the Tray hinge. The front of the cap (nearest the body of the tray) has two hooks underneath about 20 degrees off the center, the back , a single hook on center. Depress the back of the cap, and prise the cap from the front end using a rounded putty knife

2. Now the hard part. There is a C-shaped spring steel tubular insert that is divided into 3 sections, two short (1/2") segments on both outer and inner ends and a longer 1 1/4" segment in the middle. The ends of the C flare outwards. There is a small hook on the opposite side. The instructions say use round nose pliers. I don't know of anybody that has pair of pliers that can compress the entire length of this three part "spring"
It took a while to figure this out, but . . . To get it out, what I ended up doing was insert first a 6p finish nail inside of each of the two flares, between the spring and the plastic shaft that runs inside the three hinge loops. This got a bit of space between the shaft and the inner spring. I then inserted an 8D bright common nail inboard of the finish nails to disengage the spring flares from where they insert into the plastic shaft. You need to do the thinner nail first so you can get under all three flared sections on each side, Needless to say, it was a b_tch to suss this out and get it going. With the spring essentially disengaged from the inner plastic shaft, you can now pull it out with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

3. Now the shafts. These need to be compressed. It's amusing how the Volvo shop guide simply shows two arrows indicating to compress the shaft, like you could magically apply forces through the hinge loops. Like the spring, these are tubular, made of a tough plastic, C-shaped, but actually more G shaped, with some convolutions on one end of the loop, and again, partially separated to provide three separate springing segments. They are VERY tightly set within the hinge loops. You have to compress all three. As mentioned, the two inner and outer ends have something of a hook, and you also need to compress the opposite side of the loop, which lies under the hooks and again, is VERY thight. Once you've managed to achieve all that, you have to then pull it out. Unless you've got some wonder tool from Volvo (and I'd love to see it), this is just about as impossible as it comes. Fortunately, you can buy this part for about $5 from www.volvopartswebstore.com. Which leads to plan B, the creative destruction of the shaft.

4. Again, using small and large nail, prise the side of this very tough ABS plastic shaft (starting with the indented portion), from the insides of the hinge loops and getting your needle nose pliers around it, start twisting it towards the center and busting it up. After you get the outer short segment out, take a small (1/4") sharp chisel and start cutting downwards through the larger middle segment. Cut, pry away from the sides, twist to bust up. This is not easy in the least. Finally you'll have removed enough of this very tough plastic which is applying (by design) a lot of side friction to the hinge loops that you can grab the final pieces and pull it out.

Congratulations! You can now do the other side! LOL! ;)

Bearing in mind that the armrest goes for about $146 and the cover/tray underneath for about $65. You can get your console back in business for the cost of a new storage container ($23) a pair of $5 shafts, and a couple hours of work. And now the car looks sharp again, no broken stuff. No more angst recalling how (fill in his/her name) broke the damn thing by (fill in appropriate stupid action). Peace in our lifetimes.

Joy to the world.

To finish this out, once you get the new shafts and the replacement storage container, you need to open up the console. Haynes does a good job of explaining how to do so and Robert DIY has a decent YouTube on it. The storage container is held in by pair of T-20 screws at its back end.

Best to all,
DanO

1958 AMC Rambler
1982 BMW 733i (melted)
2001 V70 T5 Moondust Metallic

·
Registered
739 Posts
There's a guy on here that replaced the center console trim piece and posted a youtube video for it and it should allow you to see what needs to be accomplished, I'll update this post once I locate it.

found it: center console removal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Toy,

That's a pretty console. However, it doesn't seem to have an integral storage box with a hinged cover. It appears to be "outside" of the console, visible at the bottom of the two photos, and I believe he's lifting the lid at 9:30, and we can see the box at 10:22.

This video by Robert DYI, mentioned above, was helpful in taking apart the console for the older '01-'05 V70s, S60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqsXWv4Z6ZQ

Most helpful, and I was able to take my console apart lickity split
Unfortunately, the Volvo he's he working on doesn't have the same integrated hinges that mine has. Were that it was as simple as unscrewing 2 screws.

The following has the exploded view of my console. The hinge shafts from hell are marked on the diagram as #45.

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1180504&modelYear=2001&ukey_model=12011&ukey_modelrange=0&ukey_make=865

My guess is that a lot of these are broken on those 10-15 year old Volvos. Picking up the shafts from Smythe Volvo in Summit, NJ tomorrow for $6 and change apiece. Hopefully I can just knock 'em in and be done with it.

Steady progress!

DanO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sure enough! They went in OK. There is a half slot on the back of the shaft. Also, the tiny lip on the inner steel spring should be on the outside. Line up the three pieces (tray is the outermost loop, storage compartment next, then armrest in the middle. You should be able to hand press the shaft into the outermost hinge loop (the tray) aligning the slot with the ridge in the middle (storage compartment) loop. Once you've got it pressed into the middle loop and ideally partially into the innermost (armrest) loop, and have done this for both sides, you can seat the shafts by taking a pair of sockets (~19mm) back-ends towards each end of the shafts and lightly tap the sockets to drive the shafts fully into the recess of the outer loop. Once fully seated, the caps snap right in, aligning the hook tabs with the slots.

Once assembled, the storage compartment snaps into the front of the console frame (make sure the front upper lip is properly over the edge of the console frame (I had to take it all apart and redo it!), then using a Torx T25 driver on a 6" extension, hand screw the two Torx screws through the back of the console upside down into the back of the underside of the console tray (the outer round holes, not the slotted holes). Add the ratchet but don't overtighten (it is plastic!). The rest of the console snaps back together. Be sure to align the small wedges in the front of the console with the slots in the dash, seat the console properly; start the two torx screws up front, then fit the rear torx screws in the bottom of your new storage compartment. Tighten the fronts, then the backs, clean & replace the small rubber mat in the bottom of the storage compartment, snap the shifter boot, the hand brake boot, the pen holder, the rear ashtray bracket, the ashtray cover (if you don't have the ashtray) into place, then slot in the two console front side panels; in this case turning the slotted screws clockwise with a quarter. And you're done! Back to normal.

In summary, removing the shafts is a real pain in the neck, but everything else about this job is super easy. I hope you find this helpful.

Regards to all

Dan Orbis

1958 AMC Rambler Baby Blue & White
1982 BMW 733i (melted)
2001 V70 T5 Moondust Metallic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts