SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've considered my options heavily for the past year, and while I love the new S60 I think I'm going to stick with my XC70 as long as I can or until Volvo offers me a sportier wagon option. That being the case, I am going to go ahead with some light tuning on the XC70.

I'm thinking chip and maybe exhaust. I may also want to add tint and the rear spoiler, but I feel like I'm pretty happy with how my car looks so I'm not sure about those.

The Polestar tune will get me to just under 240hp. Will doing an exhaust and possibly downpipe give me any better options? Or is the exhaust really only going to be able to offer me a different sound unless I upgrade to a larger turbo? What other chip tunes should I consider and what are their expected performance values? I really want to consider all of my options, but I don't want to be risking bent rods or reduced reliability.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The Polestar tune will get me to just under 240hp. Will doing an exhaust and possibly downpipe give me any better options? Or is the exhaust really only going to be able to offer me a different sound unless I upgrade to a larger turbo? What other chip tunes should I consider and what are their expected performance values? I really want to consider all of my options, but I don't want to be risking bent rods or reduced reliability.
to the first question: tune vendors that have stage I, II, III give you better options as far as matching a tune to your downpipe upgrade or turbo upgrade. Polestar is only designed for use on the stock setup.

to the second question: Yes, you can totally change the exhaust sound without changing your turbo.

on my 2.5T I did a IPD/TME stage I tune (248hp) and stayed with a stock turbo and down pipe. I did get a larger cat back exhaust though, and the sound difference is night and day; much deeper/lower sound.
The nice thing with the IPD one is that you can read codes and monitor the engine on your laptop if desired.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who offers a stage II / III kit? I haven't been able to find this on IPD's site, but I find the layout kind of confusing.

Also, the exhaust sound changes, but it's just the sound until you get a chip that matches the exhaust, right?

Thanks for the help! Which exhaust did you get?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
The exhaust only will sound the same no matter which flash you have.
A DP WILL change the sound with the exhaust
Exhaust only doesn't add much, maybe all of 3-4 hp at best
A DP usually adds between 11-13 hp so a DP AND exhaust will yield about 14-18 total hp.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Who offers a stage II / III kit? I haven't been able to find this on IPD's site, but I find the layout kind of confusing.

Also, the exhaust sound changes, but it's just the sound until you get a chip that matches the exhaust, right?

Thanks for the help! Which exhaust did you get?
Both iPD and RICA offer stages. Just call up and talk to them.
Stage I is stock piping
Stage II is with bigger down pipe
Stage III is with bigger turbo and down pipe

·
Registered
309 Posts
IF you're looking for Tune I'd call Lucky/Robert

http://www.ardtuning.com/

Lucky WAS the IPD tune guy, but he's now running his own show and he's got his ECU tunes for half price of IPD's, plus he's got black friday sale.

He's doing custom tune for V70 T5, with 18t turbo, and XC90 2.5 tune.

I'd seriously give him a call. He's quite knowledgeable.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Unfortunately Polestar will not release package for MY01-03 models.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
01-04

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I love my Eurosport Touring exhaust. If you are concerned about reliability you never worry about a stainless steel exhaust system, you install it, forget it, and enjoy it forever more. It is inert, and any power or milage benefits are there all the time with no maintenance.

Most chips get power claims at higher RPM ranges and the 2.5 is all about torque at lower rpm. Last time i priced an IPD chip I was appalled at the price, and I am being generous with my choice of words, but not intending to be mean spirited. I honestly think they could cut the price in half and still make a profit, and certainly sell more units too. I suspect they are selling very few now, assuming the price is still up where it was a few years ago. On the other hand, i would rather pay for twin tubes and a great looking stainless steel system than intellectual property.

Regards

P

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I will talk to lucky, but I really don't want to send the ECU away to be tuned and the web still suggests that's required for the ARD tunes. Will also check out IPD and Rica. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,291 Posts
Doing a chip/DP/exhaust gives you your best bang for the buck.

If you can find one of the old Svenske Racing DP's (those were great), ARD tune, and an EuroSport exhaust, you'll be set.

But..... Once you start modding, there's no stopping. :)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh no. I am not taking it any further than that. It only has so much potential as an LPT that I'm not willing to blow up.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Also, who does one contact for RICA in the US?

Edit: NVM, the answer is George.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts