SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing how terrible the XC60RD did this past snowstorm with all-season tires, I really wanted to get another set and put snow tires on them, but not sure how to combat the TPMS warning that will inevitably show up.

What are you guys doing?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a separate set of wheels with my winter tires mounted with a set of TPMS sensors that I got from Rock Auto. With only running those tires from Thanksgiving to Easter, they will last me 5-6 years, so I felt it was cost effective to have that setup. At least with my car, once I change the wheels over, the TPMS sensors are "Learned" automatically after driving for 10 minutes above 35 MPH. I have swapped them several times and have never had any problems (except when some of the initial sensors from Rock Auto were bad).

·
Registered
838 Posts
go to tirerack.com.. you can purchase the complete package. The TPMS sensors will be installed the tires mounted and balanced. Tire Rack does a hell of a job. all you have to do is.. 1 swap the wheels your self, or bring it to your shop and have them swap the wheels...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My answer is identical to TiGreyS60, got mine at Tirerack wheels and tires with TPMS insalled....never once had an issue

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. I saw that they sell the sensors installed, but was wondering how it adapted the new sensors. This is easy enough.
Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Same, I have a dedicated set of snows that go on in Nov and come off in Mar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
After seeing how terrible the XC60RD did this past snowstorm with all-season tires, I really wanted to get another set and put snow tires on them, but not sure how to combat the TPMS warning that will inevitably show up.

What are you guys doing?
Do the all-season RD tires suck that much in the snow?

I don't see many problems with the snow but haven't had more than 3-4" at a time this year so far.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I don't see many problems with the snow but haven't had more than 3-4" at a time this year so far.
I was unimpressed with mine.

I have dedicated winter tires and rims (18 inch)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Isn't there an option to turn off the TPMS?

I know here in Canada they stopped offering it due to our temp changes and how it drives the sensors insane.

I run the 18" package with dedicated winters. Are the RD's even an all-season?

·
Registered
87 Posts

I think they are so-so in deep snow and below average in slush or ice. They drive okay but it is not hard to break them loose. I think the width contributes to the poor deep snow & slush performance. It's apples to oranges, but I liked the winter performance of the Michelin Destiny's on my old car better, and the Blizzaks on the wife's FWD car are harder than the Scorpions to make spin/slide on slick roads. I'm seriously considering a set of winter tires & rims for this car.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Having driven on the stock Scoprios coming home from Canada through this mess on Monday night:

I can tell you that they surprised me in a positive way. Was expecting way worse, especially that they are at about 50% of tread wear. Very stable, decent braking and excellent acceleration. Would winter tires do better? Absolutely. I plan on a 18" winter tire/wheel combo for next season (just got the XC).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I too am not all that impressed with the Scorpions on my 20" Talitha's. I had them way back on a '01 XC70 I used to own, also was never that impressed.

However, having gone through this recent blizzard of 22+"...I was able to get out of deep snow with little to no issue (wheel spin at times). I'm not going to say the scorpions are not good, I just don't like the overall feel of them.

What is everyone's thoughts on a set of DWS for April-Oct/Nov and a dedicated winter setup for the rest of the year? This thread will definitely help out when it comes time for another set of wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts