SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 V70R which I love, and thinking about getting a new XC60, but I have a bit of a conundrum: I have driven the T6 version, which has decent power but feels a bit "numb" to me, and I drove the R version, which felt a bit harsh to me.

One thought was to get the R but swap the wheels to 18", which would presumably soften the ride a bit while still maintaining most of sporty feel of the car. I know this is a bit sacraligious, but has anyone tried this and does it have the effect I am expecting?

I have not yet discussed this with the dealer, and wonder how accomodating they might be in swapping wheels (both for a test drive as well as for purchase). Thoughts?

Another approach might be to get a T-6 and put 20" wheels, but I live in NYC and potholes are a real issue, which is another reason why I prefer the idea of 18" wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would get the T6 with the new 19 inch wheels. Test drove that setup before getting my 2013 XC60 T6 with 18s. There was a couple of 19 inch equipped T6s on the lot. It was just right for me but they where on the wrong color/package vehicle. Plus I will actually take mine off road and wanted the taller tire. I did really like the feel and ride of the 19 inch though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I put 18" studded Nokians on my rd for winter use- no problems at all. Pete

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here was my solution to the RD's rougher ride: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?174797-R-Design-Ride-Quality...part-2 (note: there is a link to all my hypothesizing in part 1 too).

Did this about 5K miles ago and have no regrets. If anything, I wouldn't mind having 19" rims on top of the spring/shock swap I did - we do, however, like the 20" Cratus look. There is an 18" Cratus I believe. If you can get the dealer to install those, that would be cool. I stand behind my assessment that the rear is the primary culprit for the rougher ride between the RD and non RD.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Get the T6 with the 19" FERNIR wheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We purchased an 11month old T6 which has the 4C adaptive suspension, and most importantly the Polestar remap (325bhp) so we're up to R-Design power, and the previous owner added some R-design exterior trims. Still running the 18" rims but will likely fit 20" in the summer. Its the best of both worlds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts