SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2012 XC60 T6 AWD Premier Plus
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First post. Picked up a '12 XC60 T6 this last weekend for a first car for my son. 110K miles and it looks like it lived its life in a garage under a car cover.

It does have some issues.

First issue: So we test drove it and it has the classic Volvo whistle that, after much research, corresponds with the failed PCV diaphragm issue in the oil box. Confirmed the issue by testing with the oil cap - remove the cap, whistle goes away, and suction when you replace the cap, and whistle returns. Suction isn't what I would define as strong though, and I have read that the issue typically correlates to a stronger suction on the oil filler cap.

Knowing all of this and willing to roll the dice, I bought the car anyway and purchased the replacement part.

The whistle hasn't happened since we test drove the car and seems for now to have gone away, however I planned to do the repair regardless of that.

Today I went to do the job and when I removed the beauty cover I see that the entire oil box cover is new and the date code on it is July 2022. So this issue was already addressed it would seem. The part is also genuine Volvo, which means the dealership most likely did the repair.

So. If the whistle is still there at times, has anyone else had this problem and found another root cause? Just trying to think through where under the hood I should look next. Possible that the new gasket on the oil box is compromised?

Second Issue: When I went to do the PCV diaphragm above, I noticed the airbox wasn't fastened. Turns out all of the screws are stripped, so it's impossible to tighten the airbox. Lovely. Wondering who else here has addressed this and how. Would love a simple fix to this! But I may have to go with threadserts and new machine screws...

Third issue: Noisy (crickets chirping) blower fan... Pretty sure I know what I'm in for here, but I found a video of a guy that addressed it by shooting lubrication on the fan bearing, which kept him from having to pull most of the dash out to replace the fan. Has anyone here done this that can confirm this is worthwhile?

So that's really all that is wrong that I can tell. Would love to hear from others that have any insight or experience with any of these issues.

Cheers,
Jeff

· Registered
237 Posts
Perhaps the new PCV install didn't use a new gasket.

I have a stripped thread for the airbox too. Perhaps just use a slightly wider screw.

The blower noise I've just coped with. I just turn up the crappy stereo system. The dealership said they'd need to remove the dash to fix it.

· Registered
929 Posts
My guess is the PCV trap cover was not installed properly. The gasket may not be seated in the groove. The suction corresponds to the amount of leak. The screws may not be tightened evenly, particularly at the top under the cowl. Since you think it's new, remove it, check the gasket and reseat the cover.

For the air box, it seems very careless that all the screws were stripped. They don't need to be tightened hard. A new housing costs 250-300 and is the best option. Otherwise, you can try to repair the existing box by applying a little JB Weld epoxy inside the threads using a toothpick. Let dry. Then slowly retap the threads so the screws stay tight.

Reactions: spiked60

· Registered
2,838 Posts
My guess is the PCV trap cover was not installed properly. The gasket may not be seated in the groove. The suction corresponds to the amount of leak. The screws may not be tightened evenly, particularly at the top under the cowl. Since you think it's new, remove it, check the gasket and reseat the cover.

For the air box, it seems very careless that all the screws were stripped. They don't need to be tightened hard. A new housing costs 250-300 and is the best option. Otherwise, you can try to repair the existing box by applying a little JB Weld epoxy inside the threads using a toothpick. Slowly retap the threads so the screws stay tight.
I found 3x of my screws stripped on the air box, so yeah, I just bought slightly larger stainless steel screws and put them in by hand

Easy enough

As for the pcv, yeah, I guess pull it off and check it out, I put mine on and didn't even think about the gasket as it's integrated more or less, but if the surface isn't clean that could be a problem
(and the metal standoffs kind of prevent massive distortion)

· Registered
17,020 Posts
It's a little tricky reaching those back handful of screws. Have a swiveling magnetic bit holder ready for that one!

Reactions: gravitylover
1 - 6 of 6 Posts