SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone here cross shop the Land Rover Evoque or Velar vs XC60 ? I like the XC60 a lot but feel like the Velar and Evoque are more stylish. I feel like Range Rover has more style but XC60 is smarter choice and likely a better value.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Almost all of us here are biased towards the XC60. Personally, coming out of the previous generation, I didn’t do any cross-shopping. I knew anything not an V/XC 60 series would be inferior to me.

I also think the XC60s front end is the most stylish/attractive in the whole automotive industry right now, so... Plus everyone knows Volvo has the best seats in the business. That is the one component of a car you use every time, even when your not driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I personally am making this exact decision right now.
2019 evoque - definitely not
2020 evoque - not a bad drive, great interior to match the velar
2019 velar - I took a long extensive test drive and its something that I personally enjoyed. The higher ride height compared to the evoque was something I prefer. The drawbacks holding me back; infotainment system can be beyond sluggish, lots of electrical bugs/quirks I'm reading about, more expensive servicing costs, does not come with a pilot assist ( or equivalent) system.
2019 xc60 inscription - The vehicle in particular I'm looking at is fully loaded (minus air suspension). I love the drive and the price I'm getting is looking to be quite competitive. It certainly my front runner at the moment. Approx 25% less /month compared to the velar.

Outlier
2019 Audi Q8 - totally in a different size class but I'm getting about $25k CAD off msrp and it's fully loaded with every option. Its a beautiful drive and has presence, though it's about 50% more / month than the xc60.

Why am I considering these? I work in sales selling a luxury product and despite my own personally feelings, what you drive is the first impression to how successful you are and it makes a huge difference. I've seen it first hand. I'm thankful I'm in a position to be able to chose from these.

I need to make a decision and will decide by Monday. I'll keep you posted!

Ps. Excuse my grammar, I'm on mobile!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Velar is a larger SUV than the XC60, the XC90 class

Q8 is in class X6 and GLE Coupe, Volvo has nothing to compare. XC60 is in class with Q5, as well as Evoque

Generally every Range Rover has a lot are problems with electronics

Q8 is a great choice, it's expensive but has a similar price as its competitors X6 and GLE Coupe

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
For luxury salesman, try a Porsche or Mercedes. Volvo still looks better for family man. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Velar is a larger SUV than the XC60, the XC90 class

Q8 is in class X6 and GLE Coupe, Volvo has nothing to compare. XC60 is in class with Q5, as well as Evoque

Generally every Range Rover has a lot are problems with electronics

Q8 is a great choice, it's expensive but has a similar price as its competitors X6 and GLE Coupe
Space wise, the evoque is more in line with the xc40.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Space wise, the evoque is more in line with the xc40.
It is true that the Evoque is smaller than the XC60 but also the fact that the Velar longer and wider than the XC60 / Q5 / GLC / X3 and Velar has a engines from 180HP to 550 HP (four to eight cylinders)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anyone here cross shop the Land Rover Evoque or Velar vs XC60 ? I like the XC60 a lot but feel like the Velar and Evoque are more stylish. I feel like Range Rover has more style but XC60 is smarter choice and likely a better value.
Hi sportsguy...

Like you I think the JLR products look good, BUT.... and it's a big BUT...

I had a Discovery 3 and it was a great car but decided to "downsize", worst thing I aver did.

I had 2 x Discovery Sports and both were rejected for poor build quality, I loved them both but they didn't love me at all. First one went after 8 months, second one went after 3 weeks... both with the exact same problem with a BIG rattle in the B-Pillar. Have a good look at how they wanted to fix this issue (see Tech Bulletins 1 through 8 - from UK Disco Sport Forum) and they will paint a very good picture on how they do things.
JLR treated me like crap for over 6 months during the first reject and didn't treat me much better for the second car until I took it in to the dealer and told him to "shove it", handed the keys over and told them to sort the reject out with JLR. Swapped over to XC60 and have never looked back.

I do also believe that there are many JLR owners who are very happy, BUT look at the JLR forums for an insight into their quality, DPF and customer support issues you may be very surprised. As mentioned I don't actually think there are any better looking SUV's out there.

JLR products you either love 'm or leave them very quickly. I may be considered a bit "one eyed", but I did stay with them from the Disco 3, I thought after all the money that Tata put into JLR they would be pretty good. There are also many reports of "financial issues" and the possibility that JLR could be sold of by Tata as they are loosing money hand over fist!

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great insights, thanks! am leaning towards XC60, but can't pull the trigger!

Hi sportsguy...

Like you I think the JLR products look good, BUT.... and it's a big BUT...

I had a Discovery 3 and it was a great car but decided to "downsize", worst thing I aver did.

I had 2 x Discovery Sports and both were rejected for poor build quality, I loved them both but they didn't love me at all. First one went after 8 months, second one went after 3 weeks... both with the exact same problem with a BIG rattle in the B-Pillar. Have a good look at how they wanted to fix this issue (see Tech Bulletins 1 through 8 - from UK Disco Sport Forum) and they will paint a very good picture on how they do things.
JLR treated me like crap for over 6 months during the first reject and didn't treat me much better for the second car until I took it in to the dealer and told him to "shove it", handed the keys over and told them to sort the reject out with JLR. Swapped over to XC60 and have never looked back.

I do also believe that there are many JLR owners who are very happy, BUT look at the JLR forums for an insight into their quality, DPF and customer support issues you may be very surprised. As mentioned I don't actually think there are any better looking SUV's out there.

JLR products you either love 'm or leave them very quickly. I may be considered a bit "one eyed", but I did stay with them from the Disco 3, I thought after all the money that Tata put into JLR they would be pretty good. There are also many reports of "financial issues" and the possibility that JLR could be sold of by Tata as they are loosing money hand over fist!

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I looked at the RR Velar and RR Sport. I liked the RR Sport the best of all. I thought both RRs were more engaging to drive, but the Sport was the best of all worlds. It had incredible torque (diesel), and was refined and exceptionally quiet. The radio and controls, however, were clumsy and slow. I ultimately skipped the RRs due to concerns with reliability.

The XC60 has been okay. It was a phenomenal financial deal compared to the RRs. I am already looking forward to the end of my lease, though. The car looks sporty and the ride is firm, but it’s just not that engaging even with R-Design and Polestar. I think I rather have an XC40 or the new V60, thinking they would be more fun to drive. With that said, it would be hard to recommend a RR given their reliability.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a similar experience to S5156.

I purchased an F-Pace (shares components with the Land Rover), and was so miserable with it that I traded it in for my XC60 after 6 months, taking a gigantic financial bath, but I am still glad I finally got rid of it. On the other hand, I had an F-Type, and it was very reliable.

Unlike S5156, I had a great relationship with my dealer, they tried and tried, but in the end they can't change the software in the car. My primary beef was with the infotainment system - it was so unreliable I would be angry every time I drove the car. I got all the updates as soon as available, but some things would get better, some things would change, some would be worse.

When I hear folks complain about the Volvo Infotainment system, I smile, because even with its faults, it's so far ahead of the JLR one.

XC60 is not as sexy, for sure, but still damn nice in my book.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a similar experience to S5156.

I purchased an F-Pace (shares components with the Land Rover), and was so miserable with it that I traded it in for my XC60 after 6 months, taking a gigantic financial bath, but I am still glad I finally got rid of it. On the other hand, I had an F-Type, and it was very reliable.

Unlike S5156, I had a great relationship with my dealer, they tried and tried, but in the end they can't change the software in the car. My primary beef was with the infotainment system - it was so unreliable I would be angry every time I drove the car. I got all the updates as soon as available, but some things would get better, some things would change, some would be worse.

When I hear folks complain about the Volvo Infotainment system, I smile, because even with its faults, it's so far ahead of the JLR one.

XC60 is not as sexy, for sure, but still damn nice in my book.
Hi .LMS.
Sorry, I didn't make it clear in my original post... my dealer was terrific, worked with me all the way through both rejections (and in fact they also handled the Volvo brand among others, so I went with them as well for the Volvo). I eventually had a FULL refund of the 1st DS purchase price after I had the 2nd DS rejected.. and argued my case. I never saw the money (it was a "paper only transaction) when I changed to the XC60. I did shell out a few extra dollars as I wanted a couple of the options but it wasn't a big difference at all.

It was JLR that were the real "nasties" in the process, in fact they were absolute $%%^^%$#@ !! All in all I would NEVER go back to them, told everyone I knew about the whole process. If I won one I'd sell it straight away, just not worth the hassle of ownership. I've had many brands SAAB, Skoda, Citroen, Renault (I know, some called me mad at the time) among them and never had anything like the hassles I had with the DS or JLR.

You're also right about the Infotainment system... I think the DS system must have been developed from the old CPM Operating System (do a Google), very clunky, looks very old world tech.. but then again we did advance from the old Nokia mobile phones to the smartphone... and that's how I would describe the differences between the DS and Volvo systems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After comparing Discovery Sports among others, test drive was positive however I ruled out JLR due to ongoing poor ownership experiences resulting from quality issues (as I did VW/Audi/Skoda) based on first hand feedback.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I loved the appearance of the Evoque, but it lost me on all other counts... and the visibility out th back was awful.

I have loved the XC 60.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi .LMS.
This may be of interest to you as well....
Have a look at the the discussion section on this forum: https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9397
The subject line is "Rejection finally complete - oil dilution", the last few pages 13, 14, 15 have some very interesting info about how JLR operate (with their membership of the industry Ombudsman, which should be the watchdog etc.) and there's also a copy of a doc about what the dealers should say to prospective customers about their DPF and Oil Dilution issues....

I'll leave it to you to draw your own conclusions about JLR

·
Registered
337 Posts
I like the Evoque but I feel it is priced much higher than it should be. Its small size is in line with the XC40, X1, and Q3 but it is priced along with the larger sized XC60, X3, and Q5. There’s very little bang for your buck.

Is that true that people are buying the Velar with a 180 HP engine? That’s just sad. Good luck accelerating on the on-ramps of the highway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Out of the 3 I would take the q8 in a heartbeat. Yes, its 50% more than the xc60 per m but its in a class above ( even 2 since if were being nitpicky the xc90 and q7 are the next size suv's)....it is a coupe like suve of the q7 but it has more space that gle coupe and x6. Audi has excellent qc and finish and with a fully loaded car there is nothing more you could ask for. It is a luxury brand if that that affects your business, but it wont exude in the same way a cayenne or a g wagon might. Volvo is a family/luxury brand with the 1st being in peoples mind first. Velar on the other hand is a size between the xc60 (q5, x3...) class and the xc90 ( rr sport, gle....) in terms of size ( interior and exterior) and doesnt really have a competetor ( f pace maybe in the trunk space). The interior is on a level on its own, and the engines above the 4 bangers are powerfull enough. The design is excellent. BUT, and a big but....the reliability of all jlr products is known to be at a poor level and Velar is no exeption. The new electronics, touch screen isuues and drivetrain have allot of faults. A big multiple brand dealer ( jlr, volvo, ford, mazda....) showed me the service area and gave me some insight on the common issues of the newer generation of jlr vehicles. Enough for me to not want one of their products atm. Also, if you look at one the biggest online used marketplaces in Germany there are so many Velars that just left warranty, or still have some miles till they do at a heavy discount ( were talking 50% off in some cases) on essentially almost new cars...thats indicatice, for me atleast. People and dealers are dumping almost new cars for some reason.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts