SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2013 XC60 T6: It is not smooth. I will try and explain. When coming to a stop and the transmission is downshifting then accelerate slightly, it seems to get caught between gears. It acts as if the clutch, if it were a MT, is held in too long so the car jerks forward. Her 3.2 S80 trans did this and that is why we traded it. Is this a software problem? I hope I have explained enough for it to be understandable. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had something like that happen on an older Honda that we owned. We finally got it into the shop for it and they said they had to order some parts to repair the transmission. Before the parts arrived the transmission failed entirely. I'm not an expert on transmissions or a mechanic but you might consider getting it looked at as soon as possible before it does too much damage if something is going bad.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Lincoln MKZ.

My solution was to modify my driving behavior. Rather than give it gas as it's downshifting, I just waited literally a half-second and let it shift and then give it gas.

I never had an issue with it afterward.

I seem to have modified that behavior so much that I do not do that even on other vehicles.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the same exact problem with my 2013 T6, the dealer did a "software update" on it @ 30K, and did nothing! Going to take it back before the warranty is up, to have them check it again. It happens from 2nd to 1st on the downshift OR upshift, it's pretty jerky, and annoying! In other trans threads, I've heard the same exact problems. I recently had a 2010 T6 as a loaner, and the trans was smooth as butter, less torquey than the '13, which could be the issue! I'll be damned if the '10 T6 didn't sound "meaner" than the '13 T6, when punching it!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same exact problem with my 2013 T6, the dealer did a "software update" on it @ 30K, and did nothing! Going to take it back before the warranty is up, to have them check it again. It happens from 2nd to 1st on the downshift OR upshift, it's pretty jerky, and annoying! In other trans threads, I've heard the same exact problems. I recently had a 2010 T6 as a loaner, and the trans was smooth as butter, less torquey than the '13, which could be the issue! I'll be damned if the '10 T6 didn't sound "meaner" than the '13 T6, when punching it!
That's exactly the issue with hers. It just started that at about 22,000+ miles and has close to 30,000 now. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Unfortunately I have the same '10 as the person above and ours is butter. Can't help sorry!

·
Registered
229 Posts
OK, brought in the XC60 yesterday to have them check the transmission again. They gave me the old software update BS, again! They had the car for about 4 hours, the service technician called me, and said this is the way the transmission operates! Adjust your driving to adapt to the gears, and it should be fine. He also went on to say, this transmission is proven, and that "it's a rock"! I went to pick it up, the service advisor also fed me a line that they changed to a "gear-to-gear sequence" (?) in 2012. If they come up with a smoother gear transition from 1st to 2nd or vice versa, via a software update (what else), he will let me know! I brought it in before the warranty is up to have it in the books!

·
Registered
484 Posts
OK, brought in the XC60 yesterday to have them check the transmission again. They gave me the old software update BS, again! They had the car for about 4 hours, the service technician called me, and said this is the way the transmission operates! Adjust your driving to adapt to the gears, and it should be fine. He also went on to say, this transmission is proven, and that "it's a rock"! I went to pick it up, the service advisor also fed me a line that they changed to a "gear-to-gear sequence" (?) in 2012. If they come up with a smoother gear transition from 1st to 2nd or vice versa, via a software update (what else), he will let me know! I brought it in before the warranty is up to have it in the books!
Go back and have them drive you a same car from their lot with them in it and compare. Dont let them deny you before the warranty expires. Be persistent

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife had her shifting issue 95% fixed with a software update. It shifts much smoother now. It still gets "caught" between first and second on occasion though. Thanks to all for responding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts