SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
The removed part covers the threaded hole for the towing eyebolt that can be screwed in place. The eyebolt is in the spare tire jack tool holder in the spare tire well. I believe the threads are "left-hand", so if you experiment attaching the eyebolt try turning "lefty-tighty". (Reverse threads on the eyebolt are generally used so that a tow rope does not cause the eyebolt to loosen as the rope stretches and twists counter-clockwise...the normal "un-ravelling" direction for a woven towing rope.)

There is a similar knock out on the front bumper...or maybe the mating hole is behind the front grill.

XC60 Towing Eyelet.jpg

·
Registered
81 Posts
That’s too bad. I’ve seen a few people post about loosing them now so I wonder if there is a defect... They don’t come factory painted so you would need to buy the part and have it painted. Volvo part number 39849034

·
Registered
997 Posts
That’s too bad. I’ve seen a few people post about loosing them now so I wonder if there is a defect... They don’t come factory painted so you would need to buy the part and have it painted. Volvo part number 39849034
Wow that will cost more than the part.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow that will cost more than the part.
Yea I think the part is less then $30. I’d recommend you discuss with the dealership you baught from. I have seen a few other posts on here where it went missing. Either someone out there is starting a strange collection or the clip or fitting is not strong enough to stay in the car.

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
I take it that clip doesn't have a little tether attached to it? That's worked pretty well on prior models when you remove the piece for towing the clip still stays attached.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I take it that clip doesn't have a little tether attached to it? That's worked pretty well on prior models when you remove the piece for towing the clip still stays attached.
That’s actually a great idea. I think I will have to rig something this weekend. Small piece but it’s clearly a major pain if it’s lost

·
Registered
163 Posts
Same thing happened to my wife's car. Can't find the piece anywhere. Appreciate the part #.

·
Registered
686 Posts
noticed this thread a while back. now that piece in my bumper looks like it is not securely placed. on previous cars, from both volvo and honda,the cover has had a "tether" to keep it with the car if the tow eye is needed. i gather from posts here the one on our cars has no tether and that it tends to get displaced and lost forever.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My XC60 arrived missing the rear tow hook cover. The dealer ordered a replacement cover and attempted to paint it (metallic white). Looked horrible (trash in paint, orange peel, color was off, etc).

After their poor efforts and my wasted trips, they ended up finding it in another XC60 that was delivered on the same day. Hilarious.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I lost it too. I ordered the cover, it has been painted and I'm waiting for curing. I don't know yet how much it is.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My 19 xc60 cover fell off by just wiping the bumper with a paper towel. Pressed it back in and it is so loose and wobbly that I'm sure it will be gone completely by the end of the week. This is ridiculous. Looking at how it is secured, I'm surprised they all don't fall off. There is barely anything but a plastic lip holding it in. I dread having to have one painted if lost, plus it probably will just fall out too.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Glue a small bracket to the back of the plastic cover and zip-tie it to the metal support. That's what I did.
How do you reach the metal support and tighten the zip tie when the cover is pressed back on? Maybe some 3m industrial double stick tape would work. Zip ties and tape to a $70,000 car. Great!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
How do you reach the metal support and tighten the zip tie when the cover is pressed back on? Maybe some 3m industrial double stick tape would work. Zip ties and tape to a $70,000 car. Great!
Dirt simple...

After federal and state rebates, mine was closer to $45k, so I guess I can justify a zip tie.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
670 Posts
Dirt simple...
When I picked mine up at the local dealer, the cover on the front bumper was in the glove box. He took it out and placed it in position, and gave me a recommendation to do something like this. So it's a well known issue.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts